open carry legality?

open carry legality?

This is a discussion on open carry legality? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm from Texas where its illegal to do so.I've seen clips of other states where the carrier gets stopped and checked out by the police.It ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: open carry legality?

open carry legality?

I'm from Texas where its illegal to do so.I've seen clips of other states where the carrier gets stopped and checked out by the police.It seems like they all carry MT,which I'm assuming is the law,but is it illegal to carry a fully loaded mag with you?Just curious,thanks. sj

VIP Member
    Depends on the state. Sounds like those clips are from CA. In OH, you can OC with a full mag and one in the pipe. Of course, you still are likely to get hassled.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

In VA, it isn't a problem to OC a gun or even a mag....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I OC fully loaded and +1 in NC.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Tennessee just issues a handgun carry permit. That's the way I like it. I carry in a Galco concealable OWB holster 90% of the time. It's by far the most comfortable way to carry that I know of. I just throw a polo shirt over the rig to cover it and if it prints I don't worry about it. I've got a permit. I've made a sincere attempt to cover the gun so that the anti-gun folks don't get their knickers in a knot. So far, I've never had anybody say a word and I've been carrying over a year now.

In Wisconsin you can OC in most of the state without issue. I don't recommend it in the cities that have populations over 50,000 or so, that's where the liberal people who get scared by their neighbors wearing a gun, but don't realize that they have probably walked by a thug or three in their local malls and never known it.

It's an odd thing here. OC is legal, but they may charge you with causing a disturbance, or some other nonsense, if you are OCing.

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    In Wisconsin you can OC in most of the state without issue. I don't recommend it in the cities that have populations over 50,000 or so, that's where the liberal people who get scared by their neighbors wearing a gun, but don't realize that they have probably walked by a thug or three in their local malls and never known it.

It's an odd thing here. OC is legal, but they may charge you with causing a disturbance, or some other nonsense, if you are OCing.
    LOL I'm more liberal than a lot of my neighbors, but they apparently still get the heebie jeebies if they see a man with a gun, so I just keep it covered up and go on about my business.

So true, but then again, the people who make the most noise about honest citizens trying hard to follow the laws like school zones and other non sense think we need to let criminals out of jail early because of over crowding in the prisons.

Quote Originally Posted by WIright View Post
    So true, but then again, the people who make the most noise about honest citizens trying hard to follow the laws like school zones and other non sense think we need to let criminals out of jail early because of over crowding in the prisons.
    Well, we probably do. We've got more people in prisons and jails than any other country in the world. People who are in prison for violent crimes need to stay there. But sentencing guidelines that became law because politicians vowed to "get tough on crime" have created a problem. We've got too many prisoners and too few prisons to keep them in, and nobody wants to raise taxes to build more and if we do build more, nobody wants them built anywhere near them. So, now what do you do? There should be alternative ways to deal with non-violent drug offenders, people who don't pay child support, etc. Free up some prison cells for the bad guys that really need to be behind bars and then catch them and put them there.

That's straying from gun topics, but it's my two cents worth.
    adric22 likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    My OC causing a Disturbance? No more than someone wearing brown shoes with a black belt. Now that's disturbing.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My OC causing a Disturbance? No more than someone wearing brown shoes with a black belt. Now that's disturbing.
    That's almost as bad as a winter parka with shorts and flip flops!

But back to the OP. To my knowledge California is the only state that requires the gun to be unloaded when being open carried. I don't think the people of Virginia would stand for something as stupid as that.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Your'e right,it was california.If they can't carry a full mag whats the purpose in OC?If you have a loaded mag it just takes a sec to make the gun operational.They might as well carry a hammer or bat. sj

Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    I'm from Texas where its illegal to do so.I've seen clips of other states where the carrier gets stopped and checked out by the police.It seems like they all carry MT,which I'm assuming is the law,but is it illegal to carry a fully loaded mag with you?Just curious,thanks. sj
    Hey you are in Waxahachie? Only about a 20 minute drive from where I live! Yeah, we don't have open carry.... YET! I'm told there is still hope that it might pass in 2013. I sure hope it does, simply because it will give us all more options and freedoms, even if we don't choose to exercise them.

Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    Your'e right,it was california.If they can't carry a full mag whats the purpose in OC?If you have a loaded mag it just takes a sec to make the gun operational.They might as well carry a hammer or bat. sj
    Sounds like CA. I escaped from there a few months ago and glad I did. You can legally OC as long as the gun is not loaded. You can have a full mag on you, but if you need your gun you have to draw, insert mag, chamber a round, and by then what's the point. Pretty much all PD out there will treat you as a man with a gun call and you can expect to be on the ground at gunpoint until backup arrives and they cuff you while the investigate. They are in the process right now of passing a law to ban open carry from what I have heard.

ADRIC,Sometimes I shoot over at alpine range,its about the closest to me other than bullseye over in cedar hill. sj

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links