Why I Open Carry, a Boise experience

This is a discussion on Why I Open Carry, a Boise experience within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I find myself open carrying more and more these days. Last weekend I was OC with the wife and stopped at a fast food place ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By Timezoneguy
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Why I Open Carry, a Boise experience

Why I Open Carry, a Boise experience

I find myself open carrying more and more these days. Last weekend I was OC with the wife and stopped at a fast food place for lunch. Weather was nice and we ate outside. I went back in to refill my drink and was polietly stopped by a guy sitting at an inside table. He pointed to a younger man (20ish) and said would you explain to him WHY it is legal to carry a gun. These folks were of hispanic origin and I just assumend the young man was not from this county but that may not be true. The young man said don't you need a permit for that? I explained that open carry is legal in Idaho if you don't have felony convictions ( you know the rest of the list) and the places you could not carry ect. The young man was eating up every word. He thanked me for the information and I finished my lunch.Open carry is not for everybody, carry at all, is not for every body, but I was very happy that one person who did not know the law, asked and learned about this great country we live in. I open carried for the entire weekend and no one fainted or went running and screaming away from me. Lets not forget how freedom is preserved.
    Last edited by Timezoneguy; July 5th, 2011 at 04:52 PM.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

2. Remove Ads

thats pretty cool, glad to see not everyone thinks that those who carry guns are crazy or looking for trouble.
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

VIP Member
    As I stated in another post.
    Open or concealed, as long as you carry yourself with dignity and show respect, 99% of the people will not question you on it. It the one who have a chip on their shoulder who cause problems for us all.
    Good job in representing us.
    Erick46590 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timezoneguy View Post
    The young man said don't you need a permit for that? I explained that open carry is legal in Idaho if you don't have felony convictions ( you know the rest of the list) and the places you could not carry ect.
    Amazing how people will stop you and ask questions. Guess that's a good thing. I don't usually bother strangers. BTW, what does 'ect' mean. I've never carried an ect.

Good deal. I've had similar conversations. Everything from why OC is legal, to where to buy guns, where to shoot, where to get training, and what to do to get a CCP. I've said it before, you meet some nice folks while OC'ing.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Glad to hear your gun didn't mysteriously leap from it's holster and start blasting away at everyone!
    Proud NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    Amazing how people will stop you and ask questions. Guess that's a good thing. I don't usually bother strangers. BTW, what does 'ect' mean. I've never carried an ect.
    I believe he means, "etc..."
    The one-word spelling "etcetera" is commonly used, and is accepted as correct by many dictionaries. It is also sometimes spelled et coetera or et cœtera, and is often abbreviated to etc.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A right un-exercised is a right that with wither and fade away.....
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm just surprised someone didn't run up and take that gun away. Isn't that what's supposed to happen?
    Thylacine likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I'm just surprised someone didn't run up and take that gun away. Isn't that what's supposed to happen?
    You forgot than shoot him with his own gun. Or upon seeing the gun the BG is supposed to decide that is a good place to commit a crime, starting out by shooting the OC'er.

Seriously all three scenarios are so absurd that not even Hollywood would put them in a movie, yet we hear that is what will happen on these forums on a regular basis.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    I didn't know we were being graded on spelling.

Good job "Timezoneguy", you did well.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nicely done. An example for us all.
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

Links