what is considerd unloaded

This is a discussion on what is considerd unloaded within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would realy like to have my CCW! But at this time there is no way that I can come up with the money. For ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is considerd unloaded

what is considerd unloaded

I would realy like to have my CCW! But at this time there is no way that I can come up with the money. For 2.5 years I worked as an Secured Transport Officer, transporting inmates from state to state. I need to be able to protect myself but can not afford CCW,and must OC! My question is " is the a standard condition for the term gun unloaded". Or is this left up to each city to define, if they have shall open carry unloaded laws. Thank you for any help in this matter!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    if they have shall open carry unloaded laws

gun in holster with no rounds in it; speed loader or magazine with bullets may be on the same belt the gun is holstered on.
    laws vary by city and state and the state of mind of the officer who may be talking to you.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Thank you very much for the information. This is basicly what I was able to find out. That it varys so much that that there is no standerd. And to be on the safe side to go totaly empty, and have to do a drop and lock. I know this is not a good condition to be in!! Do you think doing a drop and lock is better than nothing at all, or if you can not carry hot do not carry!

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I thought full OC was allowed by Kansas law.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

technically OC is on the books in KS, however, it becomes a jurisdictional thing here. there are different levels of enforcement depending on which city/town/county you happen to be in at the time. in other words, the state has given the cities a lot of say in whether OC is actually allowed in varying areas within the state. when i went through my CCH training, the instructor told us it is so confusing to keep straight that one is just better off not OCing in KS. hope this helps!

Have you checked the Kansas map at OCDO yet? If not, here you go. I won't even take a stab at the questions, but I hope the link helps.

OpenCarry.org - State Information For Kansas
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I know when I was an LEO in Kansas in the 80's that unless you were picking up a prisoner etc in Wichita you couldn't go armed even in uniform,we were transported to Wichita during the hiring phase of one department to take a psych evaluation,the training Officer locked his weapon in the glove compartment as we left the county we were in,his brother was a Captain on the WPD at the time and he said if I get stopped carrying in Wichita not even my brother can help me.There were some of us that asked you mean even with a badge and Police ID card we can't carry out of the County,and he said no and don't get caught trying
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    In most states (if not all), a firearm with a cartridge in it, be it in a chamber, a cylinder, or in an "inserted" magazine, is considered loaded.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by skipper4077 View Post
    I would realy like to have my CCW! But at this time there is no way that I can come up with the money.
    No disrespect intended, but how much can it cost? You can afford the weapon, but not the permit? The 3 permits I hold are each less than $30 for 4-6 years.
    When in doubt, just ask yourself, "What would Theodore Roosevelt do?"

Every society is 3 missed meals away from anarchy.

In Missouri the class is $125 in most places and then you have to give the sheriff $100 then you have to give the DMV $12 or so.

After all was said & done my out of pocket was about $250 in just paperwork & classroom time.

That is a small price to pay.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Open carry, unloaded? Why even bother, might as well carry a brick.
    Exercise your 2nd amendment rights....not doing so jeopardizes that right for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by cmycek View Post
    Open carry, unloaded? Why even bother, might as well carry a brick.
    I don't know about that.. If you were at Coumbine or Virginia Tech on a certain bad day, you'd probably love to have an unloaded gun with nearby magazine within your reach.

No disrespect intended, but how much can it cost? You can afford the weapon, but not the permit? The 3 permits I hold are each less than $30 for 4-6 years.
    This varies quite a bit by state. Here I had to pay an instructor $120, the state charges $140 for processing, fingerprinting is another $10, passport photo is another $10, box of 50 ammo for the test will run you $20 or so. So here in Texas, it can easily cost $300 or more to get licensed. There are plenty of guns that can be bought for less money. I actually know quite a few people who have wanted to get licensed for a while but can't afford it. If a husband/wife goes together then the cost is $600.

Kansas concealed carry class price is set by the instructor. Mine was $100.00, I've seen them for as low as $75.00 and sometimes buy one get one free (unsure of the price). Passport photo $10.00 if I recall correctly, fingerprinting usually no charge, fees were reduced July 1st, 2010 to $32.50 for the county sheriff and $100.00 to the AG.

Class $100.00
    Photo $10.00
    Sheriff $32.50
    AG $100.00
    DMV $25.00 (approximate)

$267.50-not too bad cheaper than when I did it.

If you can, take the class and get that out of the way. Check KSCCW.com is growing... for classes. You have some time between the class and having to submit things so save up and do it as you get some cash saved up. The hardest part will be the 75 to 90 day wait once you do send it in.

If you are going to open carry be damn sure to check local laws, I'm sure it's banned in Wichita and Topeka just got it back not too long ago.
    Last edited by joker1; July 7th, 2011 at 03:09 PM.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member
    I think I spent around $100 when all was said on done for my OR license. My WA non-res was about $50 (OR training and background check carried over since it was under 30 days between them)

Full open carry is lawful in Kansas. But there are differant Regs in the Countys and Citys. They regulate the way you can OC while in there jurastiction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links