Open Carry "works".

This is a discussion on Open Carry "works". within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Rotorblade "Don't go to places or do things with your firearm that you wouldn't do if you weren't armed". I'd never be ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Open Carry "works".

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    "Don't go to places or do things with your firearm that you wouldn't do if you weren't armed".
    I'd never be able to leave the house....
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

2. Remove Ads

MPLS is pretty rugged in that area now... being that a lot of houses have been destroyed and people have random equipment in yards and what not to help with repairs.. really lead to a lot of theft in my opinion. Be safe out there.

I'm surely preaching to the choir here, but if enough people carried, and walked brazenly down dark streets at all hours, it would tip the balance of society back toward being safe and good. Given that we aren't in that situation in most areas yet, I consider wisdom to be the better part of valor; if an area isn't comfortable without a gun on me, I try to not go there even with one.

Quote Originally Posted by Snider View Post
    I'm surely preaching to the choir here, but if enough people carried, and walked brazenly down dark streets at all hours, it would tip the balance of society back toward being safe and good. Given that we aren't in that situation in most areas yet, I consider wisdom to be the better part of valor; if an area isn't comfortable without a gun on me, I try to not go there even with one.
    Couldn't have said it better.
    CommonMan101 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I agree with this. I'd have just given them a "Howdy" and seen where it went. The line you gave them sounds very practiced, and almost like a wanna-be superhero, if I may be honest. If they were thugs, they now know what you look like and where you like to walk, they know where you carry your gun and they know that you think you're some kind of neighborhood protector. They may decide they don't like you. If they were just regular folk, they now think you're pretty much a loon.
    OCW-MAN is that you?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

To the OP, your lucky they didnt call the PD and have you charge with menacing. There are better ways to handle these things....Just saying.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    "They had further moved in my direction when one of them stopped and stopped his buddy and said, he thought quietly, "Oh ****, man, thats the dude who carries a pistol all the time. The other guy turned his head and said something I could not understand. Then they both looked at me.

They were about 30 yards away now"

Did he Stop his buddy and "say" something or "think" something?
    Are you part bat? The ability to hear and understand conversational level speech at 30 yards is quite remarkable.

I had typed out several thoughts in response. It just is not worth the hassel to respond. You all have your minds made up and nothing I write would change that. Thanks for the comments.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moby clarke View Post
    I had typed out several thoughts in response. It just is not worth the hassel to respond. You all have your minds made up and nothing I write would change that. Thanks for the comments.
    I actually think you SHOULD respond. I wanna hear it.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

VIP Member
    Not to worry MC, most threads re: OC, carrying empty chamber, caliber, capacity, etc. are sure to draw a lively discussion. So far, every instructor of my acquaintance, and a preponderance of DC members, advocate for avoidance (SA), inconspicuousness (the grey man), and chambered round carry (point and click). In many states, including MN, OC is perfectly legal, but in others it is not. When the SA of the Grey Man, the fence, and command voice, and movement all fail, CC gives a great tactical advantage of surprise in the last resort. Nearly all DC members are voicing their thoughts and experience in an effort to help readers consider options, facts, and consequences. I try not to take comments so personally that I lose the benefit of self evaluation. I am constantly learning from both the experienced members here as well as from my new students. I have found that posting is one of the best ways to organize thoughts and see unique solutions. I’m never satisfied with teaching methods for the fundamentals, movement, point shooting, and discrete carry. Please do post your responses, as everyone has something valuable to contribute.
    Snider, JDE101, Tzadik and 2 others like this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Not to worry MC, most threads re: OC, carrying empty chamber, caliber, capacity, etc. are sure to draw a lively discussion. So far, every instructor of my acquaintance, and a preponderance of DC members, advocate for avoidance (SA), inconspicuousness (the grey man), and chambered round carry (point and click). In many states, including MN, OC is perfectly legal, but in others it is not. When the SA of the Grey Man, the fence, and command voice, and movement all fail, CC gives a great tactical advantage of surprise in the last resort. Nearly all DC members are voicing their thoughts and experience in an effort to help readers consider options, facts, and consequences. I try not to take comments so personally that I lose the benefit of self evaluation. I am constantly learning from both the experienced members here as well as from my new students. I have found that posting is one of the best ways to organize thoughts and see unique solutions. I’m never satisfied with teaching methods for the fundamentals, movement, point shooting, and discrete carry. Please do post your responses, as everyone has something valuable to contribute.
    Very concise, sums up my perception of this forum and these subjects as well. Good discussion is worth the effort!

I can't say OC'ing has stopped any serious crime around me. But it did once help out a lady at Walmart. I had stopped in after work, so I get to deal with the midnight walmart crowd. As I was leaving, this car full of late teen guys rolls by the front door. There is a lady parked to the right of the door that is loading her bags. She is partially blocking the right lane. Our choir boys in the car were the impatient type. The passenger leaned out the window and started cussing her and running his mouth. I was not going to cut in front of their car, so I turned to go around the back side. This allowed him to see my firearm. The last thing he said was, "Dudes got a gun!" That car was out of the parking lot and on the road before I even crossed into the parking lot proper. Got a kick out of that.

I had no intention of getting involved if all he did was run his mouth. But sometimes I think people do stupid things simply because they don't think anyone has the ability to stop them. I guess the OC firearm made him feel that he was not the big dog in the parking lot, and if worse comes to worse there was someone there that could stop him. Some of these types only understand one thing, power. Whether it's physical or verbal. And a firearm does swing the balance of power towards the carrier. Sometimes the mere presence of it is enough to make them rethink their idea.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

nice to see fellow OCers in minneapolis although i feel alone like ive said many times elsewhere. ive NEVER seen anyone else OCing. i feel like the lone wolf alot. ive been making a new stop on my way home from work. i usualy swing through the mcdonalds on west broadway by 94 to grab a drink. and i go inside usually because the line in drive thru is so long. i cant think of anywhere else ive ever stuck out so bad...rough area rough people and when i walk in there with my gun i get so many looks and people whispering "that dude gotta gun" or people sayin "is that a glock? thats a glock right?" usually now when i have to go inside to get my drink i hold my phone to my ear just to not have to talk to every one that wants to know if they can hold it or see it or blah blah blah.

Quote Originally Posted by moby clarke View Post
    Moby...aint that the dang truth? you say one thing on these forums and people just rant rant rant and run off at the mouth (or keyboard) taking your words and twisting them into their own thing like they were there when u had that walk. i dont blame u for not responding and i wouldnt waste the time either...people get so foolish sometimes, like whoever called u a bat for being able to hear someone at 30 yards...i mean come on its not like you said 30 yards because u had a tape measure on you right? its nuts the way people react and try to one up you and make you "wrong" on these forums. im with ya moby rock on.
    CommonMan101 likes this.

No OC option here in NY. Can't say that I'd mind but the element of surprise is in my favor should I have to defend myself.

Jim

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links