Open Carry "works".

This is a discussion on Open Carry "works". within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by moby clarke They had further moved in my direction when one of them stopped and stopped his buddy and said, he thought ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Open Carry "works".

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moby clarke View Post
    They had further moved in my direction when one of them stopped and stopped his buddy and said, he thought quietly, "Oh ****, man, thats the dude who carries a pistol all the time. The other guy turned his head and said something I could not understand. Then they both looked at me.

They were about 30 yards away now, .
    This has me confused, did you hear this conversation at 30 yards?

I agree that you should comment on the responses to your own thread. We were good enough for you to tell your story too, but now we are not worth a response. Please, at least learn something from them about your actions.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGlockStar View Post
    Moby...aint that the dang truth? you say one thing on these forums and people just rant rant rant and run off at the mouth (or keyboard) taking your words and twisting them into their own thing like they were there when u had that walk. i dont blame u for not responding and i wouldnt waste the time either...people get so foolish sometimes, like whoever called u a bat for being able to hear someone at 30 yards...i mean come on its not like you said 30 yards because u had a tape measure on you right? its nuts the way people react and try to one up you and make you "wrong" on these forums. im with ya moby rock on.
    To me, when he posts statements like this:

"They had further moved in my direction when one of them stopped and stopped his buddy and said, he thought quietly, "Oh ****, man, thats the dude who carries a pistol all the time. The other guy turned his head and said something I could not understand. Then they both looked at me.

They were about 30 yards away now

It makes me question his whole story? At least he could post to clarify instead of him telling us we are "not worth the hassel to respond" to.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Joe & moby, this is one of the great things about this forum. The differing & seemingly negative comments only aid in building a thicker skin. Ultimately this can make it easier dealing with the same types of folks in the real world.

That's why I'm hanging around here a while before I attempt my first OC!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    This has me confused, did you hear this conversation at 30 yards?

I agree that you should comment on the responses to your own thread. We were good enough for you to tell your story too, but now we are not worth a response. Please, at least learn something from them about your actions.
    Sound carries a lot better at night when there's less back ground noise to diffuse it, 30 yards really isn't that far, I wouldn't dwell on it especially given the erroneous nature of range estimation.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGlockStar View Post
    Moby...aint that the dang truth? you say one thing on these forums and people just rant rant rant and run off at the mouth (or keyboard) taking your words and twisting them into their own thing like they were there when u had that walk. i dont blame u for not responding and i wouldnt waste the time either...people get so foolish sometimes, like whoever called u a bat for being able to hear someone at 30 yards...i mean come on its not like you said 30 yards because u had a tape measure on you right? its nuts the way people react and try to one up you and make you "wrong" on these forums. im with ya moby rock on.
    When relying on the written word to convey things such as thoughts, feelings, and fact, the details matter very much. All we have to go on here are what posters give us via text. if you truly plan on going into law enforcement, keep this in mind as your reports will have to be factual and detail oriented. Words matter.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Sound carries a lot better at night when there's less back ground noise to diffuse it, 30 yards really isn't that far, I wouldn't dwell on it especially given the erroneous nature of range estimation.
    Fair enough. distance aside.....he posted this

"They had further moved in my direction when one of them stopped and stopped his buddy and said, he thought quietly, "Oh ****, man, thats the dude who carries a pistol all the time.” The other guy turned his head and said something I could not understand."

Im just asking for clarification. Please read post #32 (disregarding range of BG"s... provided they are bad guys. Reading the story again, he never said that they posed a threat to him.)

"They had further moved in my direction when one of them stopped and stopped his buddy and said, he thought quietly, "Oh ****, man, thats the dude who carries a pistol all the time. The other guy turned his head and said something I could not understand."

Im just asking for clarification. Please read post #32 (disregarding range of BG"s... provided they are bad guys. Reading the story again, he never said that they posed a threat to him.)
    Not much on the story but I believe he is saying that the person thought what they said was said quietly, not that he "thought quietly" the person was speaking softly but not soft enough to go unheard. He "thought" that he was speaking quietly.

sgb
    Lots of second hand hand wringing here ............ good job says I OP.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

JD
    Administrator

"They had further moved in my direction when one of them stopped and stopped his buddy and said, he thought quietly, "Oh ****, man, thats the dude who carries a pistol all the time.” The other guy turned his head and said something I could not understand."

I've read the post a couple of times, what point (disregarding range) are you trying to make?

The way I'm reading is that the OP believes that open carrying possibly prevented him from being accosted by these two individuals. No one can prove or disprove that as nothing happened and it's not like they are going to send him a letter later on describing their intent to do him harm. If I am reading the OP's post correctly, he is implying that the guy who spoke was attempting to use a "hushed" voice when in fact, the OP could hear him rather well. This is actually kind of the norm, most times people who try to speak lowly they end up speaking louder than they intended and would have just been better off using a normal voice level.

Not really seeing an issue here.

This had a direct impact on the validity of the response that he gave to the other 2 pedestrians, that were 30 yards away, that posed no threat to him.
    (not saying that it wouldn't have been valid, just that I don't feel that it was at that time.)

My point is:
    In my opinion, open carry requires more responsibility than CC. If you are going to carry that way you should be very careful who you go around scaring.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Boy, look at the time!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    "Don't go to places or do things with your firearm that you wouldn't do if you weren't armed". That advice got me thinking about the reasons I carried in the first place.
    That point has value in that one should never go looking for conflict, there is enough in the world without going looking for it.

That said I have always gone where ever the hell I damn well please at any hour I please. These streets ate MY streets I pay the taxes to build and maintain them. it is MY TURF I refuse to give of territory or my freedom of movement to any pack of miscreants. IMO, when we get afraid to go some place because there may be scumbags there they win. They gain territory as we aid and abet providing them with a haven, a rats nest of vipers.
    MikeNice likes this.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Based on the damage near the OP, I can safely say I live just a few blocks to the north. I openly carry regularly, out and about to local shops and in the streets when I go for my nightly walks, include Cub Foods, BC Liquor, etc. I've become someone people know, in part because of my side-arm. Nobody has once said anything negative, and I've not once run into trouble. I hope to keep it that way. OP - you've got brothers and sisters out there (my wife carries, as well, now), and close to home. Although rough, our neighborhood can be really tight, just mind your six.
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    Joe & moby, this is one of the great things about this forum. The differing & seemingly negative comments only aid in building a thicker skin. Ultimately this can make it easier dealing with the same types of folks in the real world.

That's why I'm hanging around here a while before I attempt my first OC!
    If you want a 'companion' your first time, let me know. Lots of friendly OC places in town. You'll be surprised at how few really care. ;)
    Last edited by ecrist; July 15th, 2011 at 10:57 PM. Reason: fixed my language -- apologies.
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

Quote Originally Posted by violinjim View Post
    No OC option here in NY. Can't say that I'd mind but the element of surprise is in my favor should I have to defend myself.

Jim
    I keep hearing about the element of suprise from carriers. I don't get it. Every study done on the subject says that, at least 50% of convicted criminals admit they avoid targets they think are armed. Usually 60% or more say they avoid targets they know are armed.

The element of suprise is a weak consolation for failing to deter the event to start with.

I really wish NC would repeal their "going armed to terrorize the public" law. If open carry was truly legal in NC, I would be one of the first to start. I would strap my P-07 in a duty rig everywhere I went. Why? Because when the agressor knows he doesn't have the advantage, he tends to stop being an agressor.

This isn't directed at you personally. It is just a statement of my frustration torwards the CC is the only way crowd.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links