Open Carry "works".

This is a discussion on Open Carry "works". within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm surely preaching to the choir here, but if enough people carried, and walked brazenly down dark streets at all hours, it would tip the ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Open Carry "works".

VIP Member
    I'm surely preaching to the choir here, but if enough people carried, and walked brazenly down dark streets at all hours, it would tip the balance of society back toward being safe and good. Given that we aren't in that situation in most areas yet, I consider wisdom to be the better part of valor; if an area isn't comfortable without a gun on me, I try to not go there even with one.

Just a comment regarding your statement. Not bashing you in anyway.

Generally speaking many people who OC/CC do not have enough training, mindset, or will to use there weapon in a lethal force encounter. So even if they walked brazenly down the street many would either not come back, would have their weapons taken away or simply flee. The BG who simply flees at the sight of a firearm is not much of a threat anyway. A determined individual who is out to hurt/maim/kill you may take into consideration that you are armed which may lead to a quick round to the head without hesitation. Threat to him gone and he now has a new toy.

The mere act of carrying a firearm does not make you safe, a superhero or invinsible. Sorry if this seems harsh but it is a fact of life.

Train to fight and train to win. If you don't you won't be around for the second round.

Just an opinion
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNice View Post
    I really wish NC would repeal their "going armed to terrorize the public" law. If open carry was truly legal in NC, I would be one of the first to start. I would strap my P-07 in a duty rig everywhere I went. Why? Because when the agressor knows he doesn't have the advantage, he tends to stop being an agressor.
    I've been OC'ing off and on for around 3 years with no issues. I hope this helps, GATTTOTP is often cited as being anti OC but it's not.

This case, State v Huntley, was specifically for GATTTOP and OC.

1. The offence of riding or going armed with unusual or dangerous weapons, to the terror of the people, is an offence at common law, and is indictable in this State.
    2. A man may carry a gun for any lawful purpose of business or amusement, but he cannot go about with that or any other dangerous weapon, to terrify and alarm, and in such manner as naturally will terrify and alarm a peaceful people.

....snip....

But although a gun is an "unusual weapon," it is to be remembered that the carrying of a gun, per se, constitutes no (p.423)offence. For any lawful purpose--either of business or amusement--the citizen is at perfect liberty to carry his gun. It is the wicked purpose, and the mischievous result, which essentially constitute the crime. He shall not carry about this or any other weapon of death to terrify and alarm, and in such manner as naturally will terrify and alarm a peaceful people.

STATE v. ROBERT S. HUNTLEY.

For NC OC also see.

State v L R Speller

STATE v. L. R. SPELLER.

State v Kerner

STATE v. KERNER. (No. 345.)
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I was sitting at a soda fountain table on a hot, steamy August night. My Springfield SS Government 1911 was sitting in my western style rig, complete with cartridge loops all around the back of the belt. The white Ivory grips and the Stainless Steel was caught in the light, reflecting back so I looked like a performer on center stage, all the while trying to mind my own business and look inconspicuous. Suddenly, an incredible beauty of a young woman with flowing red hair roller skated right across my field of vision...she was the most beautiful angel I had ever seen. My eyes locked onto hers as she turned and skated back, stopping directly in front of me. Our eyes never left each others as I rose to discover she was just about the same height as I was, only she was on those roller skates. She was wearing short shorts and I could see the most beautiful legs I could ever imagine. The blouse was tied at the waist, exposing a lovely contour of stomach muscle and I could see her womanly features were desired by men and envied by woman. She came up to me, eyes still locked. She said she had never seen me before and had never seen such a beautiful gun.

I rested my shooting hand upon the backstrap of my 1911, her hand quickly following, resting upon my hand. I began to sweat. I was at least twice her age and she was coming on to me, or was it my gun? Without warning, she put her other hand on my opposite shoulder and pulled me close to her. My excitement was reaching a new crescendo as if she had magically lifted my from out of a black hole and transported me to the here and now. I was alive with feeling and excitement while being slightly nervous and unsure of where this was leading. I instantly voted her the most beautiful girl I had ever seen anywhere in the world. Again, she drew me close to her and said my gun was beautiful and apparently I was happy to see her also. I didn't know exactly what she meant but was getting the hint.

Before I could figure out another thing, she took out a hotel key from her short short pockets and tossed in my direction. The hotel was just a few blocks away and the room number was clearly imprinted upon the face of the key. And she was gone. What should I do? I was a stranger in town and knew of no other living soul and along comes a beautiful angel, a girl every guy would give his....something important to be with, this incredible woman who chose me. I quickly ordered another diet coke, extra ice. I knew the ice would somehow be important before the night was over. I walked the couple of blocks to the hotel, stood out on the sidewalk to decide if this was the right thing to do....took about one millisecond and I was into the lobby. The weight of the big 1911 was drawing at me as I climbed the couple flight of stairs. I stood before her room and gathered up my internal strengths to know. When the door opened, it was like being in a fantasy. And if possible this angel was even fresher and more lovely looking than I remembered her from moments before. She reached out for me, dragged her into her bed, and while I thought I was going down for the count of total ecstasy, I woke up and realized it never happened. Open carry is not allowed where I currently live but was where I used to live. I never OC's as I wanted girls to appreciate me for my mind and not my big, open carry gun.
    Gold Seal CFI
    1st Air Cav Vietnam Veteran

Chief, thank you for the case links regarding open carry.I have been told by multiple officers that if they see somebody OC it is an instant arrest. So, I took it to mean that OC was either illegal or not worth the legal hassle.

Since OC has fallen out of the cultural norm I assumed it would fit the requirement of causing panic and fear in the average person. I find it funny that in the late 19th century they thought of CC as a great evil and a sign of society's downfall. However, carrying openly for the reason of amusement or business was perfectly understandable.

Arapahoe County OC

Hi All,

I recently moved to Colorado from Texas. I know that some localities ban OC outright, but I'm having trouble finding information on Arapahoe County. Does anyone know whether or not Arapahoe County allows open carry?

Thanks!

MikeNice, check out NCOpenCarry.com. You will find a lot of NC specific info. Know your rights and stay right. Invite these cops and towns to contribute to your pension fund in return for their "fun".

ITW
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNice View Post

I really wish NC would repeal their "going armed to terrorize the public" law. If open carry was truly legal in NC, I would be one of the first to start. I would strap my P-07 in a duty rig everywhere I went. Why? Because when the agressor knows he doesn't have the advantage, he tends to stop being an agressor.
    Or he waits until you turn your back, nails you or gets the drop on you in some fashion, then takes your wallet and your gun.

The case could also be made that if somebody wants to rob you bad enough and you're obviously armed, they simply shoot you first and then rob you.

Quote Originally Posted by moby clarke View Post
    I open carrry pretty much every where I go. That certainly is true at home and in the neighborhood. All my neighbors know I carry and no one bats an eye anymore. This is a little story that I shared on another board.

I have been taking walks in the evening after putting my girls to bed. It is usually around 10 pm or so. I just walk around the neighborhood, taking in the tornado damage (Minneapolis, MN) and now, the repairs that are ongoing. I seldom see people out, other than those sitting on their stoop or in the yard, and even those are few and far between at that hour.

Tonight I was out walking a bit later than normal so I was walking in the street rather than the sidewalk to avoid the spider webs that hang from the trees. As I was walking, I noticed a couple of gentleman walking toward me about 2 blocks away. I was on the right side of the street and they were on the left side and on the sidewalk. As we neared each other, they moved into the street. Of course, my interest in their movements was already at a high level, this prompted condition dark orange. I neared the corner first, which was illuminated, and began to turn to the right, thus exposing my carried pistol, black against a white shirt. They had further moved in my direction when one of them stopped and stopped his buddy and said, he thought quietly, "Oh ****, man, thats the dude who carries a pistol all the time. The other guy turned his head and said something I could not understand. Then they both looked at me.

They were about 30 yards away now, so I stopped just behind a parked car and said in a somewhat authoritative voice, "You are correct. I am the dude who always carries a pistol. You gentleman have a good night and stay out of trouble." Then turned and walked home. They stood there for a minute and then walked the opposite way.

It really was a lovely night for a walk.
    this whole thing confused me. what did they do to put you in Condition Slightly Rusty/Overripe Carrot? also, do they have brandishing laws where you live? sounds like you were out to intimidate someone with your gun. this isn't really an open carry story, more like a Guy Who's Concealed Flashes His Gun To Scare Some Guys story.

I have to give props to anybody who OC's, right, wrong or indifferent it takes a certain level of "nads" to do that. Hopefully "in general" it supports the cause more than defeats it. I'd be hard pressed to bring myself to do it, unless I was going with a group to support a cause or something. Strap one on and light-out on my own, though, not happening pardner. Mine is a secret.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledork View Post
    this whole thing confused me. what did they do to put you in Condition Slightly Rusty/Overripe Carrot? also, do they have brandishing laws where you live? sounds like you were out to intimidate someone with your gun. this isn't really an open carry story, more like a Guy Who's Concealed Flashes His Gun To Scare Some Guys story.
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion, although I doubt you'll find too many OC people who will agree with you. I know I don't and I normally do not OC.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I ccied 7 years in 1 state and now 25 in another. I never went places or got in situation while carrying that I would never have done otherwise. I DO feel safer in some situations like mall parking lots, parking garages or late night walks when packing than I felt when "empty."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links