Why why why - Page 3

Why why why

This is a discussion on Why why why within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Dennis1209 It is legal here in Tennessee to OC also. Other than the range or gun shop, I have yet to see ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Why why why

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    It is legal here in Tennessee to OC also. Other than the range or gun shop, I have yet to see anyone OC in public. It is my understanding that law may have passed so there's no penalty if you accidently flash your weapon. If it's legal you're within your rights to OC, however, IMO I think it is foolish if you're carring a weapon for personal defense. In this world today I don't want to attract any unwanted attention. If I wanted some personal attention I believe I would open carry. Unless and until the public and LEO'S become much more accepting to CCW issues and 2nd Amendment Rights, I'll keep mine well hidden thank you very much.
    I've seen open carry once, in TN. Kinda had to miss a guy in shorts with a thigh rig, and a HCP badge attached to the holster.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

I applaud you for OC'ing. My husband occasionally open carries and we've had no issues with it so far.

In Virginia, we have an organization called VCDL (Virginia Citizen's Defense League) so I looked online for a similar group for Minnesota. My search brought me to GOCRA (MN Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance), and I suggest joining them. See if any of the members meet near your area and seek their advice too. They may have a list of gun friendly lawyers you can speak to about your situation and see if any legal action should be taken.

im also an active member of Opencarry.org and to my knowledge like ive stated, i feel like im the only one in the city that ocs. ive never seen it and ive asked a billion times. seems like oc.org has no one interested. as to the point of being in the front of a movement, i take the challange ill stand as long as i can to promote OC but thers nobody to stand with me that i can find in the twin cities..everyone brags about being a OCer but i cant find a single one... there is no way to logically "fight" the system though. the police just wont have it and the citizens are morons.

to respond to those who said "asssuming everything i said was factual" it is VERY factual, im a well dressed polite guy and most of the time im with my 7 month old son laughing and being super dad, so i dont look crazy or threatening with my gun.
    thanks for the replys, i guess theres no right answer but i do greatly appreciate the input. aside from sueing the cops which will just cause more stink. on to the next problem i guess...diaper duty to the lil guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    I simply don't understand OC. I understand it's our Constitutional right and I know why you do it. You're flexing your rights in the face of increasing tyranny and over-reaching government authority. I OC on my property, or at the range.
    However, I don't carry my gun 24/7 just to make a statement. I carry it to protect myself in the event of an unfortunate life-threatening incident. One can argue that the obvious presence of your OC gun will deter any incidents, just as one can argue that OC'ers will be the first one shot in any incident. I prefer the element of surprise, and I prefer not to cause a commotion amongst the sheep.
    OC also instantly raises the stakes in any "incident". Imagine an argument about something inconsequential with a stranger. First, this would never happen with me, I've learned to not sweat about things that don't matter, but you've now put the other person in a position of needing a weapon after they see yours. Instead of just exchanging FU's, or maybe delivering a well-deserved pop in the nose, you've now got the other person getting a gun and coming back to continue. Hypothetical stretch, I know, but the point is OC does nothing for de-escalation against drunks or other irrational foe. Ask a cop. The Billy Badass routine doesn't work on irrational people.
    I also prefer to keep the cops, as good or bad as they inherently are, on my side. If your house or car gets burglarized, or a family member gets assaulted, imagine the assistance you are going to get from your local PD. Zip.
    Don't get me wrong, I support your right to OC. I just prefer the gray man approach: plain, un-noticed, unassuming, high SA. One untucked shirt eliminates a lot of problems. It's like a poker game. Are you going to show your pocket aces to the entire table and announce you will win the hand? Or can you maintain a straight face when you flop a flush, and then limp in with everyone betting back to you.
    My $.02 FWIW (about two cents). Stay safe.
    i NEVER open carry to make a statement, i open carry for ease of access only to protect my family. that so called "layer of cotton" can make or break your life when your other hand contains a child that you cant just drop to pull your shirt or whatever up. just to add that so u dont think im the dork youtube recording police videos just to make a statement.

Distinguished Member
    I wouldn't suggest you get into a gun fight while holding your child. Of course your first priority should be to get your family out of whatever situation you are in. With that said an unbuttoned oxford type shirt shouldn't make it and more difficult to access your weapon with one hand, you flip it out of the way and grab your weapon.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    I wouldn't suggest you get into a gun fight while holding your child. Of course your first priority should be to get your family out of whatever situation you are in. With that said an unbuttoned oxford type shirt shouldn't make it and more difficult to access your weapon with one hand, you flip it out of the way and grab your weapon.
    sure, maybe my attacker will wait a minute so i can put my son down before he attacks me...obviously you have never had to react in mere miliseconds to a threat, which i am greatful to hear...(dont mean to sound rude, just serious so i apologize if your offended, not my intention)

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    Stick to your guns, Joe. (no pun intended)

The Twin Cities, Minneapolis in particular, need this type of exposure as there are far too many liberalized whiners around who tend to get their way. (Governor Dayton, anyone?) I'm currently sticking with CC, but would like to think that I'd be able to deal with the loopiness of some of the LEO's if I take the OC road now & again.

I'll have to look for you next time I'm at the Robbinsdale location.
    ill be there my man looking forward to meeting you...if we havent met already. as for thinking that you would be able to deal with the loopiness of the leos, i thought so too, sadly theres just no beating them. its been the blaine PD for me, ive never had an encounter with any others because the only reason i go to that part of town is to work. ive met alot of the robbinsdale and MPLS guys tho and they seem to be excellent guys. provided though that theyve never seen me open carry other than at work!
    Last edited by JD; July 10th, 2011 at 09:20 PM. Reason: merged

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGlockStar View Post
    sure, maybe my attacker will wait a minute so i can put my son down before he attacks me...obviously you have never had to react in mere miliseconds to a threat, which i am greatful to hear...(dont mean to sound rude, just serious so i apologize if your offended, not my intention)
    Where did I say you had to put your son down? Short of a very close and personal encounter I suggested you get to safety and then gave you a clothing suggestion that you can manipulate with one hand while holding your child.

And please don't comment on my experiences since you have no idea what I've been through.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Senior Moderator
    i NEVER open carry to make a statement, i open carry for ease of access only to protect my family. that so called "layer of cotton" can make or break your life when your other hand contains a child that you cant just drop to pull your shirt or whatever up. just to add that so u dont think im the dork youtube recording police videos just to make a statement.
    As an armed mother or a 2 y/o (and with one on the way) I can appreciate your concern about being able to quickly access your firearm when it is needed.

I even did a video on carrying a gun and a baby for people who are new to carrying with a child:

However, for me, the unwanted attention and lack of surprise out-weigh the risk of not getting to my gun on time. A bad guy who sees your gun knows it might be coming and even if he doesn't go for it he could better position himself to stuff or fumble a draw. Being able to draw and fire before someone even knows it's there or while distracted, etc, could be much better in the long run than having uninhibited access.

Of course that's all speculation and there will never be any evidence to actually support that but it's something you could try in Force-on-Force.

If someone is intent on attacking you and they know you are armed you are fooling yourself if you think they aren't going to try to minimize your ability to get to that gun.

In cases such as this, there's only so much you can say. Rain don't penetrate hard sloped ground. Sometimes ya just gotta let experience do it's work, or, nature take it's course .
    SIXTO and Old School like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    As an armed mother or a 2 y/o (and with one on the way) I can appreciate your concern about being able to quickly access your firearm when it is needed....However, for me, the unwanted attention and lack of surprise out-weigh the risk of not getting to my gun on time. A bad guy who sees your gun knows it might be coming and even if he doesn't go for it he could better position himself to stuff or fumble a draw. Being able to draw and fire before someone even knows it's there or while distracted, etc, could be much better in the long run than having uninhibited access.
    Nice video. I was at the range today, took a break, switched weapons, and then shot off my .40 without reinserting my foam earplugs. OUCH! It made me think about going deaf in a SD shooting. I guess if the choice is you or your/your baby's hearing, it's a no brainer. BTW, what's that kid packing?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Nice video. I was at the range today, took a break, switched weapons, and then shot off my .40 without reinserting my foam earplugs. OUCH! It made me think about going deaf in a SD shooting. I guess if the choice is you or your/your baby's hearing, it's a no brainer. BTW, what's that kid packing?
    At the risk of making this thread go off topic I'll just say that the chances of long-term, noticeable hearing damage due to a couple of self defense shots are extremely low. Will there be damage? Yes. It's the nature of the beast but it likely will not cause any kind of premature hearing loss.

Of course I would only fire my gun without hearing protection on myself or my child if there was absolutely no other option. My life and the life of my child trumps our hearing. If I had the presence of mind to protect his ears I would do it but I'll probably be far more occupied with keeping his hands and arms and self away from the muzzle than with his ears.

This is all in the event of an emergency, mind you. I would never shoot this way at the range or for fun. It's just the best way I have found to carry a gun with a baby and have the best control of both my firearm and my child. I can quickly and easily access my gun without jeopardizing my child.

It isn't the LEO you should be upset with. It's the liberal anti-gun open-mouthed breather placing the MWAG call. Flip side, it isn't you the LEO should be upset with, they should be upset with the liberal anti-gun open-mouthed breather that placed the MWAG call. Someone said it earlier and I agree, the dispatchers should be required to ask more questions on MWAG calls.

911, what's your emergency?

MWAG!

I'll ask you again, what's ur emergency?
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

I think this is more an issue with Dispatchers not asking the right questions ...... and not giving the Officers enough info.

Questions like :
    Ma'am, carrying a gun in itself is LEGAL, so is there anything else going on ?
    Ok, they have a gun, are they pointing at anyone or threatening them with it.
    Have they threatened to shoot anyone with it ?

Or, are do they just have a gun holstered on their body and that concerns you ?

Well, if they do something other than have it in a holster on their side, then give us a call and we'll check into it.

Dispatcher, or Police depts concern over someone open carrying, doesn't mean it's a legitimate concern nor one grounded in real life. They really don't have to coddle the sheep.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

If that is your reason for open carrying, I think you need to re-evaluate your training and your tactics. Honestly if I was a criminal and you were open carrying with a child in your hand, and I absolutely had to rob you, I would evaluate the situation, and I would take that as a sure sign that I can disarm you before you know what is going on because you are going to be preoccupied with trying to protect your child and not trying to stop me from taking your weapon. That is just me. That layer of cotton means nothing if you train properly. Grey man, discretion = surprise.
    wmhawth likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    I've seen open carry once, in TN. Kinda had to miss a guy in shorts with a thigh rig, and a HCP badge attached to the holster.
    *facepalm*

Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are cunning and you sleep with your mouth open.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links