Just food for thought about what has already been said

This is a discussion on Just food for thought about what has already been said within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So as not to hijack another thread I simply will use these videos as an example of some situations that I have been talking about. ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Guantes

Thread: Just food for thought about what has already been said

VIP Member

Just food for thought about what has already been said

So as not to hijack another thread I simply will use these videos as an example of some situations that I have been talking about.
    I will start with:
    I am not against OC, CC, or any other form of carry all I am saying is you better know what you are doing before you do either. Secondly I am not saying a person CC'ing would fair any better except that they would have the tactical advantage of having their firearm concealed.
    Thirdly I understand that in either video that the victims were not armed and that these are what if type questions.

Mods if this is in the wrong spot or to abrasive feel free to do whatever with it.

Some things that have been discussed previously with gusto.

1. OC gives a tactical advantage and that the possibility of being targeted for your firearm is slim to none.
    2. The mere presence of a firearm in a situation would deter someone from committing a crime. *with footnote*
    3. A person determined agressive individual or a true criminal does not show remorse or fear of his victim he or she will simply shoot you and be done with it.

Lets say you are a customer or clerk in the store and you are OC'ing. Can you honestly sit there and say that;
    A. You would not be targeted because you are wearing a firearm?
    B. That you would not be shot outright the minute a firearm was seen or be disarmed at gunpoint or that OC gives any tactical advantage?
    C. That you would have time to draw and chamber a round in your weapon, for those of you who carry unchambered?

This situation is bad all the way around. Even someone carrying concealed would have a minimal tactical advantage in the first video but they would not have been targeted by the BG first thing out of the gate.

Tactical Scenario-Robbery Gone Bad - Guns & Ammo

Tactical Scenario: Armed Robbery - Guns & Ammo

Now in both the first video and the some of the second one this is what I have been preaching to some, not all, but some hardheaded folks who seem to think the mere presence of a firearm would deter a criminal act.

These are the type individuals I have been preaching about. They are determined to carry out there crime no matter what. They will kill you for no other reason than they are pissed off at the world. The first video clearly shows that just because of one wrong comment by the clerk he is gunned down. The others are shot just because they could. These are the worst case scenario criminals that I and others have been talking about.
    In the second video even though jumped by four healthy males and getting his butt kicked he still wounds two and kills one and only after he is disarmed does he flee. Just think if this guy had any tactical sense about him he would have brought the weapon to a cover position and simply pointed it at a body part and pulled the trigger putting each down one by one.

In either one of these scenarios, depending on which person and position you are in of course, do you actually think that you would have time to draw and chamber a round before being shot?

This is what I have been saying gents. A lethal force encounter is quick, bloody, loud, up close and personal and there are no rules or flip charts that can prepare you for what will happen. You better have your head, butt and firearm firmly wired tight before you ever get there.

* I know I cannot say that if the BG's looked through the window and saw someone OC'ing that they would have turned and walked away, but, in either one of these I highly doubt that the mere sight of a firearm would have made any difference with these particular individuals *
    Last edited by tacman605; July 27th, 2011 at 07:22 AM.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

I have seen those videos before, and Have gone over what I would have done many times. It seems in the first vid that you would be shot or even killed if you tried anything from a CC, or even an OC. In the second,you would of had a better chance of being able to do something, just because of the distraction caused by the others. I have to think that in these cases that CC would give an element of surprise. In both vids, the BG was determined to get his job done...Nice post.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Tacman605
    This is what I have been saying gents. A lethal force encounter is quick, bloody, loud, up close and personal and there are no rules or flip charts that can prepare you for what will happen. You better have your head, butt and firearm firmly wired tight before you ever get there.
    I think this is possibly the most important part of the post.

Another thought I would mention is that while you can never know, should you act in such an incident, most likely, once you commit you will be "all in". It is unlikely that there will be any opportunity to change your mind, without dire consequences, you must follow it through to the end, whatever that might be. You best be aware of that before you act.
    OD*, WHEC724, Old School and 1 others like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Links