Police Contacts with Open Carry Citizens....

Police Contacts with Open Carry Citizens....

This is a discussion on Police Contacts with Open Carry Citizens.... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A prospective from the law-enforcement side..... 8 tips on contacts with 'open carry' citizens...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Police Contacts with Open Carry Citizens....

  1. #1
    VIP Member Array Old School's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Florida Treasure Coast
    Posts
    3,211

    Thumbs up Police Contacts with Open Carry Citizens....

    A prospective from the law-enforcement side.....

    8 tips on contacts with 'open carry' citizens
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

    http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/


  2. #2
    VIP Member Array chiefjason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC
    Posts
    2,783
    I've read it before. It's a pretty good article. I'm not sure that he quite gets it when he says as CC becomes more prevalent people will transition to CC. Some of us have the option and transition between OC and CC now.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

    "Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

  3. #3
    Senior Member Array Spidey2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    887
    Pretty good read. Thanks for posting.

  4. #4
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Posts
    16,529
    1. Agree.
    2. Disagree.
    3. Agree--see #1.
    4. Agree, LEO should know the law in areas they can resonably expect to encounter.
    5. Agree.
    6. Huh? Is he assuming the OC gun is empty? This guy from CA?
    7. Agree--back to #1.
    8. Agree.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

  5. #5
    Member Array Flasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pocono Mtns, PA
    Posts
    174
    I have one issue with this article:

    "Open carry doesn’t fit into the hunting or sporting use of firearms. It really isn’t about hunting or sport shooting. It’s about the fundamental right of self defense and is a form of political protest. There are many internet forum discussions on open carry that deal specifically with this type of organized protest."

    I'm not too sure that every single person who OC's is engaging in "a form of political protest." Some people just like the deterrent value that OC provides. Perhaps a better way to say this would be "...and could be a form of political protest." Just my HO.
    sigmanluke likes this.
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

    A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

  6. #6
    VIP Member Array Old School's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Florida Treasure Coast
    Posts
    3,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    I have one issue with this article:

    "Open carry doesn’t fit into the hunting or sporting use of firearms. It really isn’t about hunting or sport shooting. It’s about the fundamental right of self defense and is a form of political protest. There are many internet forum discussions on open carry that deal specifically with this type of organized protest."

    I'm not too sure that every single person who OC's is engaging in "a form of political protest." Some people just like the deterrent value that OC provides. Perhaps a better way to say this would be "...and could be a form of political protest." Just my HO.
    Welcome to the forum.

    Point well taken.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

    http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

  7. #7
    Member Array pica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    34
    The article is decent. The concern I have is when I read statements like this:

    "Posted by ScottAn1 on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 07:11 AM Pacific Report Abuse
    I disagree with open and concealed carry. Look at how many officers have been shot just this year alone. This mentality of "I have a right" is beyond silly. Officers are getting shot on traffic stops by people that have no criminal background.
    How many of these shooters would have been allowed to legally carry open or concealed?
    After 26 years doing this Im seeing that this job is spinning in the toilet waiting for the final plunge."

  8. #8
    Member Array Flasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pocono Mtns, PA
    Posts
    174
    Thanks for the welcome, Old School!

    Quote Originally Posted by pica View Post
    The article is decent. The concern I have is when I read statements like this:

    "Posted by ScottAn1 on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 07:11 AM Pacific Report Abuse
    I disagree with open and concealed carry. Look at how many officers have been shot just this year alone. This mentality of "I have a right" is beyond silly. Officers are getting shot on traffic stops by people that have no criminal background.
    How many of these shooters would have been allowed to legally carry open or concealed?
    After 26 years doing this Im seeing that this job is spinning in the toilet waiting for the final plunge."
    I guess these shooters were not carrying legally?

    As far as the "beyond silly" comment, I suppose if this person insisted on their right to Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness, that would be "beyond silly" too... Perhaps a bit of thought before posting is in order. Where did you find that post, pica?
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

    A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

  9. #9
    Senior Member Array dV8r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    816
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    I have one issue with this article:

    "Open carry doesn’t fit into the hunting or sporting use of firearms. It really isn’t about hunting or sport shooting. It’s about the fundamental right of self defense and is a form of political protest. There are many internet forum discussions on open carry that deal specifically with this type of organized protest."

    I'm not too sure that every single person who OC's is engaging in "a form of political protest." Some people just like the deterrent value that OC provides. Perhaps a better way to say this would be "...and could be a form of political protest." Just my HO.
    Too bad that it has come to this. There was a time when OC was the "natural" thing to do. I long for those days when no one was afraid of the gun, or those who carried them. Although the reasons were simple then, to put food on the table or to stay alive the gun was an essential tool. I disdain those who have vilified it though, as that was really unnecessary except to further an agenda that is contrary to what this Country was founded to be.
    I do hope and pray that we do not fall back into those days though. It is so nice to "feel" safe at all times where ever we go.
    However, I still have trouble justifying to my wife the amount of ammunition I have accumulated. :)
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

  10. #10
    Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Just far enough outside Orlando
    Posts
    694
    When I open carry the last thing on my mind is political protest. Now obviously some guys do OC to protest but I would bet they are the minority.

    My open carry days are over now however. I'm moving and Florida is a CC only state.

  11. #11
    Member Array ConcealedG30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    KS
    Posts
    362
    I believe you should be able to carry however you like providing you are a law abiding citizen. I'm tired of being guilty untill proven inocent
    Spec likes this.

  12. #12
    VIP Member Array TN_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shelby County TN
    Posts
    11,118
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    When I open carry the last thing on my mind is political protest. Now obviously some guys do OC to protest but I would bet they are the minority.

    My open carry days are over now however. I'm moving and Florida is a CC only state.
    I'd agree. Protest isn't anywhere on my mind when I OC.

    MOVING?!? You are leaving Tennessee? Why on Earth would you do that?

    At least you are going to another state that has no state income tax. Good luck on the move.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

  13. #13
    Member Array johnpfaff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Vicksburg, MS
    Posts
    20
    I have lived in Mississippi for a year and a half now. Open carry is against the law. A Mississippi Pistol License (concealed carry) is easy to get - just ask for one. The state AG has defined concealed carry as "in a holster". Sooo...no one, even the police, know if an openly displayed pistol in a holster is legal or not.
    1. it is not legal to open carry
    2. a pistol is concealed if "in a holster"
    John.

  14. #14
    Member Array mattwestm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by johnpfaff View Post
    I have lived in Mississippi for a year and a half now. Open carry is against the law. A Mississippi Pistol License (concealed carry) is easy to get - just ask for one. The state AG has defined concealed carry as "in a holster". Sooo...no one, even the police, know if an openly displayed pistol in a holster is legal or not.
    1. it is not legal to open carry
    2. a pistol is concealed if "in a holster"
    You mean that unlicensed open carry is illegal. I was under the impression that you can OC as long as you have a permit in MS.



    I also disagree with #2. I OC because it's more comfortable, especially with larger handguns. I also like having easier access to my handgun. It's also nice to be able to inform people who ask questions. I haven't gotten a lot, but most questions are about what type of gun it is or the classic "did you know that your gun is cocked?" when looking at my 1911.

    I wouldn't say it's protesting, it's just getting people used to OC and informing them of their 2nd amendment rights. Most people around these parts of NC don't care about OC. When you get into the larger areas of the state is where you might face some resistance.

  15. #15
    Member Array johnpfaff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Vicksburg, MS
    Posts
    20
    "As the Mississippi courts have said that a handgun in a holster is concealed in part, a License to Carry a Concealed Pistol or Revolver is required to openly carry a handgun in a holster in Mississippi." So yes, theoretically open carry is legal if one has a Mississippi Pistol License (permit to carry concealed).

    Nothing to disagree with in #2. The statr AG has defined concealed carry as "in a holster".
    John.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

can you open carry in mississippi

,
does ms have open carry
,

is open carry legal in mississippi

,

is open carry legal in ms

,

mississippi open carry

,

mississippi open carry laws

,
mississippi unlicensed open carry
,

open carry in mississippi

,

open carry in mississippi no permit

,

open carry mississippi

,
open carry mississippi case law
,

open carry ms

Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors