Contact with raging OC'er today!

This is a discussion on Contact with raging OC'er today! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SIXTO Well, it happened... Old Sixto got the man with gun call, only to find a OC'er with a chip on the ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Contact with raging OC'er today!

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Well, it happened... Old Sixto got the man with gun call, only to find a OC'er with a chip on the shoulder.
    Im not going to post all the gory details as it wouldn't be the prudent thing for me to do, but it did start off rough and ended well.

The goof called his attorney before I even said hello to him, and told him ( the attorney) his first amendment rights were about to be violated. I'm still not sure how the 1st came into play here, but whatever.

Being annoyed at having to talk over the phone conversation and having to take him to school over what the constitutional amendments are and why nothing was being violated, I think the guy was shocked when I simply ID him, chuckled at his lawyer and bid him a good day.
    I apologize in advance but I am thoroughly confused...

If you were responding officially to a complaint and he was carrying openly on foot in a public area
    why did you not run a "wants and warrants" on him?

Merely visually checking his DL OR EVEN his LTCF does not determine if he can legally possess a firearm at that moment.

If you don't check for a record why even bother looking at his ID ?

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    I apologize in advance but I am thoroughly confused...

If you were responding officially to a complaint and he was carrying openly on foot in a public area
    why did you not run a "wants and warrants" on him?

Merely visually checking his DL OR EVEN his LTCF does not determine if he can legally possess a firearm at that moment.

If you don't check for a record why even bother looking at his ID ?

I never said I didn't. But I did say I wasn't going to post all the details.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Epi
    At risk of having my seat on the bandwagon revoked, this OCer's 'raging' behavior could have been a result of previous interactions with LEOs who weren't as professional or courteous as Sixto.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Epi View Post
    At risk of having my seat on the bandwagon revoked, this OCer's 'raging' behavior could have been a result of previous interactions with LEOs who weren't as professional or courteous as Sixto.
    No, I can say with some degree of certainty, it was not. Maybe because of his internet education, but not from first hand experience.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Epi
    No, I can say with some degree of certainty, it was not. Maybe because of his internet education, but not from first hand experience.
    Then hopefully your interaction gave him some healthy first hand experience to balance out any internet education presumptions.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Epi View Post
    Then hopefully your interaction gave him some healthy first hand experience to balance out any internet education presumptions.
    Yup, I hope so too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    To be honest, I do not know one person who OC's, so I'm unfamiliar with any first hand perspective of an OC-er's thinking, mindset and (especially) attitude about OC, besides what I've read. I realize this particular OC-er is only one data point in the OC world, but is there an (not so) underlying attitude or wish by OC-ers, whereby, they "want" to get stopped by John Law just so they can prove their (OC) point and brag about it to their fellow OC-ers?

This is probably a difficult question to answer by many, if not most of you, unless you've done a statistically-proven poll of OC-ers. But I value the opinion of many of you, especially those who have come in contact with OC-ers. I guess what I'm really asking is what makes them tick?

Epi
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    To be honest, I do not know one person who OC's, so I'm unfamiliar with any first hand perspective of an OC-er's thinking, mindset and (especially) attitude about OC, besides what I've read. I realize this particular OC-er is only one data point in the OC world, but is there an (not so) underlying attitude or wish by OC-ers, whereby, they "want" to get stopped by John Law just so they can prove their (OC) point and brag about it to their fellow OC-ers?

This is probably a difficult question to answer by many, if not most of you, unless you've done a statistically-proven poll of OC-ers. But I value the opinion of many of you, especially those who have come in contact with OC-ers. I guess what I'm really asking is what makes them tick?
    When I OC, I do so because it's the method that fits my preference that day. It has nothing to do with deterring criminals, tactics, getting a rise out of others, baiting LEOs, or educating public at large. It sheer, unadulterated preference. In VA we enjoy permit-less OC and permit CC. Having both available to me gives me the freedom of choice not everyone is afforded.

OC has a pretty strong following in VA, and other OCers I have the chance to associate with have a nearly identical mindset as the above, the largest variant are those who are pushing for constitutional carry and refuse to submit to the CC permit process, therefore OC by legal default.

I've found heavy bias on both sides of the OC/CC discussion as many have. If we as gun owners focused our efforts on expanding the natural right of self defense, I feel we would appear as a more cohesive group and could potentially achieve more, faster.
    HotGuns likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    Should have taken your sweet time and ran up the "phone consult" legal bill.

There's one in every crowd and unfortunately the OC crowd seems to attract a few more of the flies that give the normal folks a bad wrap.
    Are you saying that the OC crowd aren't normal? I am not an OCer, but I support them, just the same as I support the CCers. As a side note, I have never been arrested, but I have a seething hatred for cops. I wouldn't go to a cop forum and bash cops, so why go to an OC forum, and insinuate that OCers are some how less normal than you?

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    1st Amendment Rights!!!! Really???? What an idiot.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Being annoyed at having to talk over the phone conversation and having to take him to school over what the constitutional amendments are and why nothing was being violated, I think the guy was shocked when I simply ID him, chuckled at his lawyer and bid him a good day.
    You really did ruin his day, didn't you. He was all ready and you acted professionally. Now he has NO story for youtube nor his friends ..... Good Job SIXTO.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Hello all.

Who can really say what was going through this character's (the "raging OC'er") head? Without hearing his side of the story we'll never know with 100% certainty, but as someone who frequently open carries I can only hope that he was just having a bad day and is not out there walking around with a pistol on his hip and a chip on his shoulder looking to have a confrontation with the first LEO he bumps into.

Quote Originally Posted by Epi
    When I OC, I do so because it's the method that fits my preference that day. It has nothing to do with deterring criminals, tactics, getting a rise out of others, baiting LEOs, or educating public at large. It sheer, unadulterated preference. In VA we enjoy permit-less OC and permit CC. Having both available to me gives me the freedom of choice not everyone is afforded.
    Personal preference is my primary reason to OC as well but I have recently come to the conclusion that educating the public at large is not only an unintended consequence but a welcome opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Epi
    I've found heavy bias on both sides of the OC/CC discussion as many have. If we as gun owners focused our efforts on expanding the natural right of self defense, I feel we would appear as a more cohesive group and could potentially achieve more, faster.
    You hit the nail on the head with that one Epi. When I see attacks being made between the die hard supporters of the OC- or CC-only crowds I am dumbfounded. To make matters worse, some of these people even use tactics that would make anti-gunners proud.
    NoNameMan likes this.
    “Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands.”
    - Col. Jeff Cooper

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by lagmonkey View Post
    ... some of these people even use tactics that would make anti-gunners proud.
    And that is my only gripe about the whole OC thing.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Epi
    Quote Originally Posted by lagmonkey View Post
    Personal preference is my primary reason to OC as well but I have recently come to the conclusion that educating the public at large is not only an unintended consequence but a welcome opportunity.
    It's inevitable that someone or their child will take notice and pose you with a question, while I try to be as polite as possible, the educational value is entirely decided on my mood at that specific point in time. A great example is today, a co-worker found me disarming before entering my office, and asked me one of the classics "Is that Legal?". Today is day #1 of me quitting smoking a pack and a half/day after 12 years solid, all he got was a short "yes", were I not dealing with a nicotine demon, he may have gotten some more information based off how receptive he appeared.

You hit the nail on the head with that one Epi. When I see attacks being made between the die hard supporters of the OC- or CC-only crowds I am dumbfounded. To make matters worse, some of these people even use tactics that would make anti-gunners proud.
    It's terribly saddening, same goal, bashing each other while on the same road to it.

Both arguments have employed the same. Both sides have shown incredible passion, now if only that effort could be used somewhere it makes a lick of difference.

I was referring to cheap tactics often being used by both sides of the issue. What exactly is your "gripe about the whole OC thing"?
    “Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands.”
    - Col. Jeff Cooper

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links