Contact with raging OC'er today! - Page 7

Contact with raging OC'er today!

This is a discussion on Contact with raging OC'er today! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by atctimmy C'mon Lima. Let's not tell any fibs here, "good guy" might be stretching it a bit. My son likes him. That's ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Contact with raging OC'er today!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    C'mon Lima. Let's not tell any fibs here, "good guy" might be stretching it a bit.
    My son likes him. That's all that matters. Kids have sixth senses about these kinds of things.

VIP Member
    Well, it happened... Old Sixto got the man with gun call, only to find a OC'er with a chip on the shoulder.
    ........great.......now we're gonna see Sixto's ugly mug on youtube next week....there goes the neighborhood
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Well, I'm a bit late to the party, but that was a rather boring story buddy.

Maybe they guy read too much about the debacle going on up in Canton, and decided to try and get some easy cash in another part of the state. Not many OC'ers around Ohio though, I haven't seen one yet since I came back.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock30Owner View Post
    Great, instead of answering polite questions you go into the typical, "Obey me" attitude. I can see you are a perfect credit to your profession. Are you Daniel Harless, by any chance?
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Where is the obey me attitude? Were my questions not polite?

I could say, great, instead of answering my question, you go into the typical OC'er chip on the shoulder attitude... but I didn't. I could have gone into your profile to see that you are a security guard and asked if you were Gecko45... but I didn't.

You chose to wage a lame personal attack on me, which really isn't a smart thing to do if you like DC.com. Thanks for quickly showing your true colors instead of weakly disguising them with "honest" questions.

And that is why I have an issue with the OC movement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock30Owner View Post
    I do have a chip on my shoulder. Your brothers in blue put it there. I will answer your questions, I do expect honest answers to my previous questions in return, without cop-double speak or more questions.

Yes, a police officer can contact someone without having RAS on illegal activity. That is a "consensual" encounter and the citizen is free to tell the cop to pound sand.

Legal activity that appears to be suspicious or unusual deserves to be observed, nothing more nothing less, to determine if there is illegal activity happening.

As a moderator, you are free to ban me for any reason, though if it happens, I would like it to be a banning for breaking the rules and not for holding an opinion unpopular with the powers that be or for asking uncomfortable questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    On other forums that I have participated in, moderators operated under a cloak of anonymity. They were still allowed to have ID's on the forum, but for moderation purposes, they remained anonymous. If they couldn't keep their personal feelings and opinions separate from their duties as a moderator, they weren't allowed to be moderators. Has something like that ever been considered here?

I'm not taking sides here, but it allows an argument to take place between two members without one trumping the argument with the "but I'm a moderator" shield.
    I'd like to interject with several observations, if I may.

Regarding what a person's post means or what emotion it conveys, it is important to note that due to the lack of visual or verbal clues it can be difficult to tell what emotion a person is conveying in any electronic or written communications. Sometimes, the fingers type faster than the mind thinks & the result may seem to convey a general feeling of abhorrence or negativity, when ub fact it's just the result of free-flowing & unfiltered writing. They're just naked words without any real emotion, so context can appear less than clear.

Some people seem to have a preconceived notion that all police officers are of the high-&-mighty attitude, & it sure seems that this is coloring the attitudes & responses in various queries & posts. Whether any of us has had one, two, or even more bad LEO experiences (or good, for that matter), surely one cannot ascertain that most LEO's will conform to those experiences based on these limited interactions. To say that your experiences mean that everyone else's are not relavent is, well...bunk.

I am able to support both sides of the OC coin. I think that OC is important in the excercise of our 2nd amendment rights & our inate right to self-preservation. I also think that using those rights as a form of protest has value. But some people love nothing more than to stretch the boundaries of those rights by being a wonk, without really expressing the rights they proclaim to uphold. Sometimes a protest can be just an excuse to argue & cause consternation.

Some people, LEO's included, have preconceived notions. Some people are just plain jerks. Most people (I would like to believe) are more level-headed & open to thoughtful consideration in life - but we still have to live by our own judgements & thought processes as those are what take each of us through it all. It should be reasonable to believe that not every LEO is going to be comfortable dealing with an OC'er, because their jobs put them in a particularly vulnerable position. They won't know if that person is an average Joe just carrying while walking to the store to keep the bad elements from hassling him, or a nut job looking for a reason to go off. As with any citizen, it should be no problem for a LEO to just communicate with an OC'er to say, what's up? How's it going? To try & glean a tiny bit of insight as to the person's intentions. Do you really expect the LEO to just interact with people only when following up on a bonafide crime? Would you want to do a job that dealt with only the negative aspects of society all the time? Not to mention that compared to the numbers in society as a whole, the percentage of LEO's out there is pretty darned small.

Take some responsibility for your attitudes & quit blaming others for the ones you chose. The context of most of the OP's responses has been laid out & it has been made clear that not everything is being shared out of prudence. Just about everyone here knows one's rights in cases like this, & most know that in general, people are willing to offer more than they are required to because: it's easier than arguing or you really don't want to risk playing with the letter of the law. The laws of this country are part of what make America one of the best, & safest, places on the planet. The fact that most of us abide by them, as well as respect & support them is also a huge factor.

As far as a forum moderator or administrator having an identity, most of the forums that I've been involved with are run by the very fans who partake in its bounty. The moderators are usually offered the largly thankless 'position' due to their extensive involvement in the forum. I've been offered such a position on another (tech) forum in the past, but I turned it down because I wanted a life! I don't think I'd want a robot monitoring the forums.

Besides, I wouldn't have the fun of trying to slip the postings of CopBlock videos past SIXTO!

I'm climbing off the soapbox now. Goodnight!
    Last edited by ArkhmAsylm; July 29th, 2011 at 07:43 AM.
    mcp1810 likes this.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links