How Not To Open Carry

This is a discussion on How Not To Open Carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I watched a guy open carry into the store this evening. Nothing spectacular and there wasn't any drama. But he was carrying about 5 O'clock ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: How Not To Open Carry

How Not To Open Carry

I watched a guy open carry into the store this evening. Nothing spectacular and there wasn't any drama. But he was carrying about 5 O'clock in a belt holster. The belt wouldn't support the holster properly, so the whole rig banged against his butt as he walked. I watched as he left the store and sure enough, both hands had four or five bags of merchandise in them. He walked across the parking lot, both hands full, the gun and holster banging his butt with each step. I thought how easy it would be for somebody to walk up behind him, grab the gun with their right hand and give him a hard shove between the shoulder blades with their left. He and his bags would go sprawling and they would have his gun.
    A_D likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    The important thing for him is he felt more secure!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    -
    The important thing for him is he felt more secure!
    I guess

No worries, it wasn't loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    No worries, it wasn't loaded.
    Well, it was obvious the owner was missing a round in the chamber. I'm not sure about the gun.

Exercising his right and educating the public.
    Toorop likes this.

VIP Member
    How dare ye think that he was unprepared!
    He has trained with samurai,ninja,grappling warrior from books he bought at wal mart and he was prepared.
    He was only baiting the BG into a false sense of security. Of course they had already fled the area because they saw the holstered weapon so all were safe.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    How dare ye think that he was unprepared!
    He has trained with samurai,ninja,grappling warrior from books he bought at wal mart and he was prepared.
    He was only baiting the BG into a false sense of security. Of course they had already fled the area because they saw the holstered weapon so all were safe.
    LOL I never saw a ninja with both hands filled with shopping bags. If he had worn the gun in a tight holster and belt with a thumb break at 3 o'clock it would have been quite a bit better. I still don't like having both hands full if you are open carrying. I don't like having both hands full period. I'll use a shopping cart to haul the stuff to the car so I can keep my hands free.

Those are the little things I notice. The old guy using a Smith & Wesson T-shirt as a cover garment (it printed like nobody's business). The woman who can hardly walk with a bumper sticker on her car that says "A girl with a gun is more fun!!". It makes you wonder what people are thinking sometimes.
    Tutapper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    LOL I never saw a ninja with both hands filled with shopping bags. If he had worn the gun in a tight holster and belt with a thumb break at 3 o'clock it would have been quite a bit better. I still don't like having both hands full if you are open carrying. I don't like having both hands full period. I'll use a shopping cart to haul the stuff to the car so I can keep my hands free.

Those are the little things I notice. The old guy using a Smith & Wesson T-shirt as a cover garment (it printed like nobody's business). The woman who can hardly walk with a bumper sticker on her car that says "A girl with a gun is more fun!!". It makes you wonder what people are thinking sometimes.
    I see your problem, you're operating under a false assumption. They're not thinking.
    jem102 likes this.

That's not far off from where I started. Generic Uncle Mike's holster because no one made a holster for my gun. Did not fit well. Cheap leather belt. It only took a few carries before I quit holding anything in my right hand. You never know, maybe they just started carrying.

I talked to a guy hiking yesterday with a high point 9mm in an Uncle Mikes holster. I'm not going to give him any grief for it. Especially after shooting 2 copperheads in camp last night. Better to have it and not need it.
    WarMachine and Dumbledork like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I am sure the non firearm owning folks got a great impression of him too.
    jem102 and A_D like this.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I am sure the non firearm owning folks got a great impression of him too.
    To be honest, I'm not sure that many of them even noticed. Even open carrying with it flopping around, most people aren't really paying attention. 2/3 of them stroll through the store yakking on a cellphone while they are shopping. You practically have to slap them on the side of the head to get their attention about anything. They run into displays and each other because nobody is paying any attention to what's going on around them. I notice because a lot of them are just plain fun to watch.
    A_D, Gunner3126 and pacman like this.

Now there's someone who doesn't take his responsibilities seriously. I'll bet his kids are out of control, too.
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

Yeah, I've seen yahoos like that guy before. I always just roll my eyes and wonder what they are thinking.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

After taking my CC class I have changed they way I do alot of things. I am definitely more situationally aware.

Souds like a good example of a possible victim.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links