BUG in the open?

This is a discussion on BUG in the open? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here in NYS you cannot open carry. I was wondering to those who open carry if you keep you BUG in the open, or concealed? ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rotorblade

Thread: BUG in the open?

BUG in the open?

Here in NYS you cannot open carry. I was wondering to those who open carry if you keep you BUG in the open, or concealed? I often conceal carry two revolvers in pancake holsters, one weak side, and one strong side, but was wondering if this would "look" excessive to those who do not carry if open carried? Maybe the bug is worn on ankle, or in pocket? Just curious. Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

2. Remove Ads

I personally think it would look pretty lame and it would make me wonder if maybe that person didn't get enough attention as a child.
    SIXTO likes this.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    I personally think it would look pretty lame and it would make me wonder if maybe that person didn't get enough attention as a child.
    So does this mean that you dont carry a bug, or keep it concealed??? bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

VIP Member
    The purpose of a BUG is to supplement your primary in case of malfunction, no ammo or disarmament of your primary.

If you carry both open part of that becomes useless and as stated would/could be really wierd looking.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    Depends, I think it would look awesome if you were carrying a matched set of Colt SAA in a western rig. Snubbies in pancakes....probably not.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    I carry both of my katanas in the open.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    when I open carry, usually for work, its primary on hip, bug on ankle or in shorts pocket concealed
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

If the bug is your emergency and last ditch effort type of deal the last thing you would want is to show it to people to see where its at. But maybe thats just my opinion.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    If the bug is your emergency and last ditch effort type of deal the last thing you would want is to show it to people to see where its at. But maybe thats just my opinion.
    I agree. I keep my BUG in my left front pocket. Primary is IWB a 4oclock

GM
    I agree with what already has been said. IMO a BUG becomes useless if it is open carried. For what reason would someone want to OC his/her BUG unless that person is a mall ninja?

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Depends, I think it would look awesome if you were carrying a matched set of Colt SAA in a western rig. Snubbies in pancakes....probably not.
    Or a matched set of M1911A1 in a "ginnywine Tom Threepersons rig"
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I will admite this would be cool while your riding a nice mid height chop with a 200 rear and a 127 under you

Two matching 1911's just not liking the gold.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Don't carry a bug......I may be in the minority here, but I don't enjoy even carrying a primary but I understand it's a necessary evil.
    Maybe my aversion comes from lugging around an M16 every day in the service.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I carry both of my katanas in the open.
    Crossed on your back?

I rarely carry a BUG. But there are some specific situations I find myself with one. In those cases it's usually in my back pocket, concealed. But seriously, OC'ing a P3at is just uncool anyway. And stranger still, OC'ing it would be illegal in Chapel Hill, NC. Go figure. You can't OC a gun less than 6" long. I guess size does matter to the college crowd.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Do whats comfortable. I just purchased a Sig P238 as a back up to my larger Glocks. The P238 comes with a holster that can be concealed with a loose T-shirt but would work ok as an open carry as well. IMO like has been said before my Bug guns are my back ups and I would choose to keep them concealed.

This is how I wear 'em!

Well, I did when I read Two-Gun Kid comics.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Links