I'm going to OC today.

This is a discussion on I'm going to OC today. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You should carry some black rosin in your pocket and every once in a while pull your bat out of the mag light holster and ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: I'm going to OC today.

You should carry some black rosin in your pocket and every once in a while pull your bat out of the mag light holster and rosin it up, re-holster and walk off whistling "Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho, it's off to work we go"!!!
    Spade115 likes this.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WonderBra View Post
    I haven't found a good holster to carry mine in. What do you recommend?
    I was wondering the same thing.

Goin IWB, ankle carry, shoulder rig, or BTSB (between the shoulderblades)?
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    So is this going to be with the hat, jersy, knee length britches, long tube socks and a chaw of tobacco on your way to a game, or just because you can?

If it is just because you can, make sure you take a video of it all, it has been screwed up day and I need something I can get a good laugh off of. Is there such a thing as MWB, man with bat call?
    That would be funny. To bad I can't fit into my kids baseball uniform.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaRedneck View Post
    You should carry some black rosin in your pocket and every once in a while pull your bat out of the mag light holster and rosin it up, re-holster and walk off whistling "Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho, it's off to work we go"!!!
    I threaten to do that all the time at work. Funny thing is, they haven't taken me seriously about it yet.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    Lima, do you and JD open carry ever or are you guys pretty well cc types. Here in Tejas we don't have OC at all, maybe soon just to decriminalize accidental disclosure.
    JD and I have open carried on occasion. We have been to one open carry luncheon. We have open carried when required to do so by law while we lived in VA. We have also open carried while conducting classes (including to and from range/class, etc) but I've found people look at me a little more comfortably when I'm open carrying while wearing a shirt that has "NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR" written down both sleeves and a MASSIVE NRA Instructor logo on the back and front.

I did OC once purely out of interest of trying it and JD and I went out to dinner. I was OCing and JD was not. I got a lot of stares and one guy stopped to ask if my gun was a lighter and then proceeded to ask if what I was doing was legal, if I was a police officer, etc. Of course, JD and I tried to answer his questions the best we knew how and he left and that was the end of it but I wasn't the most comfortable and JD was kind of teasing me that I had to deal with it all while he quietly concealed. We once OC'd just for the heck of it to an iHop and didn't even get past the greeter before the manager rushed over and asked us to leave or put our guns in the car. We left and went somewhere else where our guns were not noticed and we had to OC by law (at that time) anyway because they served alcohol for consumption.

That kind of annoyed me. I was pregnant then too and just hungry. I didn't want to cause a fuss. I just wanted to eat and because I was open carrying a gun I was asked to leave and had to find somewhere else to eat than the breakfast platter I was craving at 11:00 at night... I wouldn't have had to do that if we were concealing. I know to some people it's worth the trouble but not-so-much to me.

I also OC'd with another OC gal to a Babies R' Us. The venomous stares we got didn't seem to bother her at all (she OCs everywhere) but I eventually concealed. I was far less comfortable than I thought I'd be even with a seasoned OCer supporting me I was far too uncomfortable.

Personally, I understand why some people want to OC. I'm pregnant again and, trust me, OC would be 100 times more comfortable than trying to find a concealment method that worked well while expanding in the mid-section and chasing around a 2 y/o.

If it were more generally accepted I would probably do it at least part of the time. I think there are times when it is more prudent to conceal but I understand the desire to not have to worry about it either.

I am SUPER non-confrontational... almost to a fault. I take being the gray man (or woman) to an extreme. I do not like drawing unwanted attention to myself... especially if it is negative attention. For this reason the thought of OCing, while tempting, is still something low on my list of things I'm going to do in the near future.. if ever.

That being said, the other day I was at a building supply store and my son had knocked all of their sample counter-top tiles off the wall. I was bending down to pick them all up and was down there for a few minutes apologizing to the gal who was helping me and standing next to me and only when I stood up did I notice that my cover garment had been tucked behind my gun the entire time. I have no doubt, whatsoever, that she saw it but she didn't say a word to me and we had a fine transaction.

Maybe one day in the future I will try again, but it usually doesn't last long before I'm concealing just for MY OWN comfort.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    That would be funny. To bad I can't fit into my kids baseball uniform.
    I dare you to try!!

Administrator
    Thats my exact feelings on OC 2 posts above. (except the being pregnant and a woman parts)
    "Just blame Sixto"

I like the concept of open carry it would be nice to be able to walk down the street with a pistol to my side. HOWEVER I look suspicious as it is weither I am dressed up or dressed comfortably so I think its great some people can. I just couldnt

I like the answer above me just cant seem to find the "Like" Button. lol
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'll OC my stick. I think that might be more interesting anyway.
    It's been done already.......successful results.
    Attached Images
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Too bad saps and blackjacks have fallen out of favor in recent years. The ultimate discrete close quarters weapon. There are times when you may need to take someone out, but don't necessarily want to kill or shoot them. This is my night time dog walking ensemble:

My exact thoughts on OC as well. I'm expanding at the midsection due to a whole different reason and recently have put together a couple of holsters I wish people could see, but it's moot here in Texas anyway. I do wish they would decriminalize accidental disclosure here. I carry concealed everywhere but I am always a little paranoid that I'll get a MWG police call on me. If that happens I'm in jeopardy of having my license revoked. Texas is pretty Nazi about that sort of thing for some odd reason. I think I would try OC, but as we do not live in the wild west where everyone is carrying, it's just too far off the social norm. With a wife and infant daughter I'll let someone else draw all the attention.

I do have to say how much I appreciate you guys on the forums though. When ever I read an interesting thread I find myself looking for Lima, JD and Sixto's opinion because I can generally rely on them to be intelligient ones...except when it comes to the whole 1911 thing
    Justified likes this.

I would like to see you OC your baseball bat to a voting or polling place. Apparently restrictions against voter intimidation are no longer enforced.
    I would also like to see you go to a ball game with the baseball bat. "You all brought mits? I brought a bat!"

limatunes have you tried/thought about trying the flashbang bra holster? It seems like a slightly odd and uniquely female option for carrying, but one of the first videos I saw of it was of a pregnant woman demonstrating it. One of your last posts reminded me of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    I do wish they would decriminalize accidental disclosure here. I carry concealed everywhere but I am always a little paranoid that I'll get a MWG police call on me. If that happens I'm in jeopardy of having my license revoked. Texas is pretty Nazi about that sort of thing for some odd reason.
    What basis do you have for the information posted? In your CHL handbook there is a statute specificly related to what you are worried about. I will save you a bit of trouble from looking it up and post this portion of it.

PC 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE
    HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.
    There is a big big difference in accidental disclosure and intentionally failing to conceal. I know of no one who has gotten arrested for failing to conceal their handgun, do you have any references on arrests for this? I would certainly be curious to know the details.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    What basis do you have for the information posted? In your CHL handbook there is a statute specificly related to what you are worried about. I will save you a bit of trouble from looking it up and post this portion of it.

There is a big big difference in accidental disclosure and intentionally failing to conceal. I know of no one who has gotten arrested for failing to conceal their handgun, do you have any references on arrests for this? I would certainly be curious to know the details.
    Hmm well this puts this issue more in perspective and I see your a CHL instructor, so I believe you. I don't have any data to back this up other than the emphatic warnings of my CHL instructor. Perhaps he was being overly dramatic. Thanks for the info

Doodle,

I am by no means saying that being lazy about your concealment method is in order, just that you don't have to go around in a state of paranoya when you are carrying for fear that you will be arrested. Conceal properly with a good holster and proper fitting clothing and you should have no issues. It should be second nature to you after a while.

Sixto, sorry for the semi hi jack of the thread. Lets talk about baseball bats and how you're going to squeeze into that kids uniform.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Administrator
    Ehh, no need to be sorry. The thread was meant as a conversation starter, and thats exactly what it did.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links