Have you OC'ed?

This is a discussion on Have you OC'ed? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why advertise. I keep it concealed. The element of supprise is a huge advantage....

View Poll Results: Have you openly carried a firearm in public?

Voters
241. You may not vote on this poll
  • I regularly OC!

85 35.27%
  • I tried it just to see what it is like.

51 21.16%
  • I want to but legally can't where I live.

22 9.13%
  • Never have, never will.

83 34.44%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Have you OC'ed?

Why advertise. I keep it concealed. The element of supprise is a huge
    advantage.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Cannot answer the poll, no choice for "when I think it is appropriate and or expedient".

Yep, I OC quite frequently. And I've never been attacked for my gun......

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Yep...perfectly legal here in TN!
    And not an uncommon sight there either. Yet another reason I miss my home in West Tennessee more and more each day...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    Why advertise. I keep it concealed. The element of supprise is a huge
    advantage.
    No it isn't. It isn't nearly the advantage the OC bigots think it is.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I lived in Michigan for 60 years. Open carry was legal. However, you would need a lawyer or an emergency room or undertaker if you chose to exercise this right. The police would shoot you and/or throw you roughly to the ground. Detroit crazies would rob you for your firearm or challenge you.

Now live in Mississippi. Open carry is illegal. However, I see good ol' boys walking through wallyworld OC. I haven't figured this out yet...
    John.

As has been mentioned, OC has no tactical advantage and will produce the exact effect that we don't want...it makes you the obvious target if there is a group/gang about to wreak havoc. If I were going in to do damage, I would eliminate the obvious threats.

Also, in my opinion, OC scares more than calms the general public. Not what we want to do as responsible gun owners. Yup, I know I have opened a big can of worms here and I did not have the intention of doing so but I do feel strongly against OC. Your feelings may differ and you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I just had to throw my 2 cents into the mix.

My thought process is the result of having been in a war zone for a year. If someone has a gun and not wearing a uniform that can be immediately determined as being friendly, it is hostile and you eliminate the threat. If you don't think we have a need to be concerned, turn on the news and see what has happened all across the Mid-East this past Summer and in Great Britain over the past week....and a couple of American cities where Flash Mobs are doing serious damage. I want to protect myself and my family. I don't want to be considered as a hostile by the rioting hoodlums and I certainly don't want the police to show up, see me with a gun and shoot me because I have a gun in the middle of all the mayhem.

I have carried concealed for well over 40 years, both on and off duty. I have lived where OC was legal and still never had the urge/desire/need to give away my status. The fewer people know I am well armed, the better (and safer) I am.
    joker1 and wmhawth like this.
    45Gunner
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Gold Seal CFI
    1st Air Cav Vietnam Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by 45Gunner View Post
    As has been mentioned, OC has no tactical advantage and will produce the exact effect that we don't want...it makes you the obvious target if there is a group/gang about to wreak havoc. If I were going in to do damage, I would eliminate the obvious threats.

Also, in my opinion, OC scares more than calms the general public. Not what we want to do as responsible gun owners. Yup, I know I have opened a big can of worms here and I did not have the intention of doing so but I do feel strongly against OC. Your feelings may differ and you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I just had to throw my 2 cents into the mix.

My thought process is the result of having been in a war zone for a year. If someone has a gun and not wearing a uniform that can be immediately determined as being friendly, it is hostile and you eliminate the threat. If you don't think we have a need to be concerned, turn on the news and see what has happened all across the Mid-East this past Summer and in Great Britain over the past week....and a couple of American cities where Flash Mobs are doing serious damage. I want to protect myself and my family. I don't want to be considered as a hostile by the rioting hoodlums and I certainly don't want the police to show up, see me with a gun and shoot me because I have a gun in the middle of all the mayhem.

I have carried concealed for well over 40 years, both on and off duty. I have lived where OC was legal and still never had the urge/desire/need to give away my status. The fewer people know I am well armed, the better (and safer) I am.
    MOST EXCELLENT POST THANK YOU !

You did an great job of pointing out the problems with OC.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Sometimes late at night after watching Resident Evil or Zombieland I walk around in my boxer shorts with my Stoeger Coach Gun....But I do that in the privacy of my own home...and when my wife isn't around to ask what the f**k is wrong with me... That, unfortunately was not a poll option.

Did I say that out loud? I meant to say that I conceal carry. I'll gladly admit that open carry makes me uncomfortable, I don't like to stand out like that.
    wmhawth likes this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

I do both, depending on clothing choices for the day. If the shirt is big enough to cover it's concealed, if not it's open. I don't know if I offend people but don't really care. The gun is just part of my attire when I get dressed, like my underwear...If you see them hanging out of my pants it may offend you... but I don't care.
    sigmanluke likes this.
    got a gun for my wife....best trade i ever made

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Yes I have open carried on numerous occasions. There were a few negative responses and a couple more positive ones where I had the opportunity to educate. I still tend to carry concealed more often due to the long cold winters that forces me to wear a jacket. If I were someplace like Arizona I'd probably open carry more.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I CC or OC both.
    Member: GeorgiaCarry.Org
    Member: georgiapacking.org
    Member: gonforum.com

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnpfaff View Post
    I lived in Michigan for 60 years. Open carry was legal. However, you would need a lawyer or an emergency room or undertaker if you chose to exercise this right. The police would shoot you and/or throw you roughly to the ground. Detroit crazies would rob you for your firearm or challenge you.

Now live in Mississippi. Open carry is illegal. However, I see good ol' boys walking through wallyworld OC. I haven't figured this out yet...
    What? Where in MI did you live? Come on John, it ain't that bad in Detroit (huge sarcastic tone in my message).

I can't vote, there is not an option for me. In florida you can open carry when fishing, hunting, camping. I do at least one of those activities every weekend. So I open carry every weekend while doing those activities and no one has even batted an eye while I'm doing it.
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by dptigger View Post
    So I open carry every weekend
    Sounds like you do it with some regularity then.

Glock Certified Armorer

My opinion on OC: I live in Arizona - therefore I can CC or OC, which ever is my choice. Don't even need a CCW permit to CC in AZ. In the past several years that I began to seriously OC in and around Tucson, I have never been hassled by Police, not attacked by someone larger and stronger then me for possession of my gun and nor have I been shot at by a perp intending to rob a business I was in and saw me with a gun. My presence with an openly carried handgun in Tucson hasn't even warranted a panic 911 call.

Now, I'm not advising every one to OC, but if it is legal to do so in your area then do it......or lose that legal right.

I do open carry while on my property (mowing the yard, washing the cars and taking out the trash) just cause thats the only way I can in my state but I would If I could legally..no doubt.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links