Have you OC'ed? - Page 6

Have you OC'ed?

This is a discussion on Have you OC'ed? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did, but not for any of the OP's options. It was just too hot in southern Arizona to mess with concealment so I OC'd ...

View Poll Results: Have you openly carried a firearm in public?

Voters
241. You may not vote on this poll
  • I regularly OC!

85 35.27%
  • I tried it just to see what it is like.

51 21.16%
  • I want to but legally can't where I live.

22 9.13%
  • Never have, never will.

83 34.44%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Have you OC'ed?

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I did, but not for any of the OP's options. It was just too hot in southern Arizona to mess with concealment so I OC'd while driving, into a Tucson shop & rob, conversed with a few local LEO and BP agents and then drove to our hotel in Phoenix. I usually prefer to CCW - just a personal preference and I prefer not to be identified as the first target. JMHO....
    CountryGal likes this.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I have open carried but only in areas where there are not many people around.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

Quote Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
    Carry concealed or not at all. No One wants to see some screwball with a gun on their hip in public around kids, etc. This ain't the Wild Wild West anymore.
    I hate seeing some weirdo openly carrying a pistol in public.
    I keep mine out of sight and so should you.
    I agree! Although so far, have not seen any weirdos or screwballs open carrying. Lots of normal law abiding citizens, but no weirdos! Not the Wild Wild West is the reason we do carry, both concealed and open. Much less crime back in those days. I do take exception to your "so should you" comment. Almost like you are calling ME a screwball.

I did a couple times just because I was jumping out of the vehicle really fast & not much of anybody was around. At that time I didn't have a good CC holster, so I was sticking the gun in my back pocket and then tying a jacket around my waist. Yeah, I know, lame and not good.

A couple people saw my gun and were teasing me...or pretending to behave themsevles. All in fun, but it didn't bother them one bit that I was OC.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    I did, but not for any of the OP's options. It was just too hot in southern Arizona to mess with concealment so I OC'd while driving, into a Tucson shop & rob, conversed with a few local LEO and BP agents and then drove to our hotel in Phoenix. I usually prefer to CCW - just a personal preference and I prefer not to be identified as the first target. JMHO....
    "and I prefer not to be identified as the first target" - that is the sole reason I don't like to OC. I don't want the BG to know I've got a gun. I don't care about the rest of the world. The problem is I don't know which ones are BG's. :D

VIP Member

Lightbulb Need more options

Ditto, "None of your poll choices fits my "yes" answer; if you had "occasionally" I would check that box."

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

In NY where I work to carry open I must have my shield in plain view or on my hip next to my weapon. I see a lot of detectives walking around with their weapon exposed. I live in PA where open carry is legal, I tried OC once and I felt very uncomfortable. I guess since being trained to be concealed from my job I never really entertained being open carry.
    One more step and it's on!

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    I open carry with a Ruger P95 with 15 rounds. I conceal carry with a SW 642.
    carracer likes this.

I would not open carry generally, lawful or not. Firstly, I detest drawing attention to myself. I'd also be concerned that someone from work would spot me and think I was some sort of wannabe militia guy. Yeah, I do work in a corporate setting and am aware that I work around very liberal people. I don't have a problem with that, and some are my friends. A trusted couple know I carry but most would not understand. And of course, there is that BG reason. I see no upside.

Now, if I were hunting (I don't) or on private land or a ranch where others did, I'd be okay with it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chandne View Post
    I'd also be concerned that someone from work would spot me and think I was some sort of wannabe militia guy.
    I'm not putting you down, Chandne.

I understand where you are coming from.

However, a right not practiced out of fear of retaliation is a right lost.

Yes, I do understand the practicalities and necessities of putting food on the table and having a roof to put it under. Yes, I have followed the job. Had to.

However, it is sad that this situation is so common.

As I said on another thread,

IMHO, those of us in the RKBA community should band together under the motto that "any attack on any aspect of the RKBA is an attack on all of us."

I get so tired of the "I support 2A but...."

IMHO, there are way too many folk who say "I [fill-in-the-blank with shoot clays, shoot paper, hunt, own a gun, etc, etc, etc] but I don't see the need for [again fill-in-the-blank].

Let's not fall for the divide-and-conquer tactics of the anties or aid and abet them in creating division among us or, worst yet IMHO, do it to ourselves.
    and

Until Constitutional Carry is the norm, until nationwide the sight of a firearm doesn't result in a MWG call, until all citizens feel comfortable carrying however they want, and until the anties have lost ALL traction / are totally disrespected, we will have conversations like this ....
    Once I was freed from job restraints and could openly support 2A, I did so -- very publicly.

I don't CC more than OC because of others' comfort level. If folk in my church, club, neighborhood have problems with me OC some of the time, that's their problem.

IMHO, more OCing might well educate folk.

IMHO we can all do what we need to do and still support the RKBA in all its forms. Have folk here who feel helpless because of "the job" or whatever considered:

• Donations to organizations that are fighting in the forefront.
    • Blogging on an anonymous blogs or protect your identity [ A Technical Guide to Anonymous Blogging ] and disputing the antis in their wishful thinking, disrupting their mantra, etc.
    • Join in on letter writing / email campaigns to legislators.
    • Voting in media polls.

Did you buy a coffee at Starbucks on 2/14 with a two-dollar bill even if you were CCing at the time or not even carrying at all?
    Last edited by DaveH; April 1st, 2012 at 04:00 PM. Reason: typo
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

It is legal to do either in NC and I do. i just dont worry about it. I have a concealed permit so I dont worry if it is concealed and I dont worry about printing or if I am showing. Sounds like some folks really worry about what other people do and really need a life. Wild west and blood running in the streets. The Brady's would be very proud of you for those comments.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Can't say I do it all the time anymore... I used to all the time, not as much recently though. I'm generally not in the mood to deal with people so I just conceal. If I'm feeling friendly or confident I'll OC.
    carracer and Al Lowe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    With all the talk of the recent OC movement, I was curious just where DC'ers fall on the scope of actually having OC'ed. I'm also curious as to how much of it is actual recent spark in movement and how much is just recent spark in talk. This is not a should you, this is merely a have you.
    Yes I have and I actually prefer to OC, however knowing that the law prevents me from CC without having a Concealed Pistol License and there being times (most often than not) that when I ride my jacket covers my firearm, I applied for and now have a CPL.
    carracer and Al Lowe like this.
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

I open carry every chance I get.
    carracer, Badey and Al Lowe like this.

I open carry as much as the weather allows. At least until I get a shorter Winter and Spring jacket.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links