Have you OC'ed?

This is a discussion on Have you OC'ed? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With all the talk of the recent OC movement, I was curious just where DC'ers fall on the scope of actually having OC'ed. I'm also ...

View Poll Results: Have you openly carried a firearm in public?

Voters
241. You may not vote on this poll
  • I regularly OC!

85 35.27%
  • I tried it just to see what it is like.

51 21.16%
  • I want to but legally can't where I live.

22 9.13%
  • Never have, never will.

83 34.44%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Have you OC'ed?

Have you OC'ed?

With all the talk of the recent OC movement, I was curious just where DC'ers fall on the scope of actually having OC'ed. I'm also curious as to how much of it is actual recent spark in movement and how much is just recent spark in talk. This is not a should you, this is merely a have you.

Glock Certified Armorer

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    I've tried it/done it a few times. IN VA it was previously required to OC in an establishment that served if you wanted to remain legally armed. Went to an open carry lunch function in NoVa and OC'd while running errands while to/from the range etc.

I have not OC'd in Iowa, just VA, never really cared to in PA.

Not outside of property that was under my control. Which means either when hunting or at home or office.

To do otherwise would be illegal in my state.

If OC does become legal in Texas in the future, I probably won't change any of my habits.
    bmcgilvray and bps3040 like this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I marked regularly, though that might be a stretch. It was the closest thing on the poll. Maybe the best way to put it is that I OC as often as I can, but my wife is not a fan of it. So I generally CC with her. The exception is hiking. I always OC.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I don't OC because I don't want people to know that I carry. I have some immediate family members that know I carry but for the most part, I don't broadcast it. I feel that there are too many negativisms associated with OC; there's alot of stigma attached with it.

I didn't participate in the poll because even though I have never carried, I won't go as far to say that I won't ever OC.

I can't vote because my choice isn't available. I used to open carry way back in 1976! Mass law at that time allowed OC. I used to strap on my Ruger Blackhawk and carry my Winchester 94 and walk the couple miles to my local shooting spot. THe laws were changed shortly after that and open carry was no more. Since then I haven't been able to do so.
    Question Everything!

VIP Member
    As a civilian (uniform doesn't count), I've only OC'ed on private property where it was not visible to the general public. There is no denying the better comfort and ease of access.

I don't intend to ever OC in public.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I would love to, but it is illegal where I live.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I cannot OC in FL, but did try it this summer on a trip through GA and TN. I just wanted to see if there would be any 'looks'...nothing, nada, zip, zero!
    Wherever we went, hotel, places to eat, getting gas, etc., I was just looking to see if any eyeballs would start 'bleeding'. No one seemed to notice or even care.
    Sure was comfortable in the heat.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

None of your poll choices fits my "yes" answer; if you had "occasionally" I would check that box.

I normally carry concealed, but I carry openly en route to and from the steel match I shoot a couple of times a month. Stopping for errands along the way I don't bother removing holster & mags from the belt. I rarely get so much as a sideways glance, even if I'm in a busy grocery store. OC for me isn't a statement of any sort, it's just a convenience that's perfectly legal here in AZ.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I tried it once,not for me.

In Ohio it is legal, i have done it on occasion in a super bad neighborhood (getting gas) or unintentionally i do when driving and maybe i forgot to cover it up when i get out of my vehicle.
    However I don't make it a practice because there are way to many sheeple that would freak out and call the local PD in a heartbeat.
    I carry a gun to protect myself & the people I love from the Monsters that roam this earth.

Nothing on the poll fits me either. I don't open carry in cities, towns, or any public gathering. I sometimes open carry when I'm afield, camping or hiking in the mountains or high deserts where I'm not likely to make anyone uncomfortable. Open carry is legal in my state. I choose not to do it in public places.

Ive done it a few times. The first time was before MI had its shall issue laws in effect. I was proned out, shotgun held to my head, and was told of all the laws that I had broken. It took a couple of days to get my guns back. I can thank the NRA for that...I prefer to CC now..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

None of your poll answers fits my situation so I didn't answer the poll.

I support OC, but doing so would make my job situation rather precarious. So I've never done it (yet) but maybe some day in the future.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links