My first OC experience- got to teach a gun lawyer a little bit!

This is a discussion on My first OC experience- got to teach a gun lawyer a little bit! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About 2 weeks ago, a rifle I purchased on GunBroker arrived at an FFL in a neighboring city, so I figured it would be an ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: My first OC experience- got to teach a gun lawyer a little bit!

My first OC experience- got to teach a gun lawyer a little bit!

About 2 weeks ago, a rifle I purchased on GunBroker arrived at an FFL in a neighboring city, so I figured it would be an appropriate time to OC for the first time (besides at the firing range). The FFL/gun lawyer I went through was located in Southfield, MI..considered the "Detroit" of Oakland County, so I figured why not.

Not a single word was mentioned about my firearm until he saw my ID- I'm under 21. First of all, he thought I had to be 21 for a long gun transfer- I told him to look it up!
    After that he pointed at my hip and said, "but you can carry that thing?" I smiled and informed him that you did not need a permit to OC; it's completely legal as long as the gun's in your name. He also didn't know that in our state, handguns may be purchased in a private sale by anyone 18 or older.
    I found it a little odd that a gun lawyer didn't know these (seemingly) fundamental laws, but I was glad I was able to pass on some of the knowledge I've learned over the years.
    In all, my first OC experience went largely uneventful, and I'm grateful for that. I look forward to trying it out more in the future.
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (1959). If you haven't heard it, go listen!

2. Remove Ads

Just because a man has a suit and a briefcase, he is not necessarily an expert.
    jwhite75 and TN_Mike like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

lawyers like CLEO are pretty much the same when it comes to laws. they really only know about the ones they directly have to deal with and most fall back on their training. i find a lot of people into firearms have been brainwashed into believing you can't buy a handgun under 21, let alone carry it. i congratulate you for learning yourself and spreading that knowledge on

Well done!
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Good thing that guy has an FFL, because he probably doesn't get much work as a lawyer...
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Wait, so you had an FFL dealer who was a "gun lawyer"? Was he literally a lawyer, or do you just mean someone who thinks he knows everything about gun laws?
    Hakkaa päälle!

yea i asked one of the cops at my highschool earlier this year (graduated this year) about how old I have to be to get my handgun LICENSE, i specifically told him I was not going to buy a gun but get my LTCH. I said I had looked it up and it said 18, he told me "No, 18 for rifles and shotguns, 21 for handguns." O_o it surprises me how LITTLE people know about laws... especially cops. VERY surprising that the FFL lawyer guy didn't know that. btw post #100 :D
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

JD
    Administrator
    ....gun lawyer? Why do you keep calling him a gun lawyer?

Just remember that you can't open carry in your vehicle without a permit...

Good for you, but I/we hope you have done your homework, there ARE places you CAN NOT go while oc'n, as jd said dont get in a vehicle with out disarming, any store that has a liq. lic.(includeing walmart meijer etc.) the dont have to serve it, them just haveing it makes you in violation, banks, and there are others too. Look into other sites such as opencarry.org-look for the MI thread, MGO.org, and moc.org. They are a wealth of info, good luck and welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    -
    Good thing that guy has an FFL, because he probably doesn't get much work as a lawyer...
    LOL, I know right?

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    Wait, so you had an FFL dealer who was a "gun lawyer"? Was he literally a lawyer, or do you just mean someone who thinks he knows everything about gun laws?
    He was a lawyer who also has his FFL. Not a good lawyer evidently, haha

Quote Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
    Good for you, but I/we hope you have done your homework, there ARE places you CAN NOT go while oc'n, as jd said dont get in a vehicle with out disarming, any store that has a liq. lic.(includeing walmart meijer etc.) the dont have to serve it, them just haveing it makes you in violation, banks, and there are others too. Look into other sites such as opencarry.org-look for the MI thread, MGO.org, and moc.org. They are a wealth of info, good luck and welcome.
    Thanks! I'm a member over at MOC, and I've now purchased 2 guns off of MGO :)
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (1959). If you haven't heard it, go listen!

Quote Originally Posted by heyrakes View Post
    i find a lot of people into firearms have been brainwashed into believing you can't buy a handgun under 21, let alone carry it. i congratulate you for learning yourself and spreading that knowledge on
    OK.. I'm glad this was brought up. This is something I've wondered about for a while. Here in Texas, the laws say you have to be 21 to buy a handgun. Yet, when reading on the laws about selling a handgun it gives a list of requirements for any person you sell or give one to (can't be a known felon, etc.) but it says they must be at least 18 years of age. That has always left me scratching my head wondering why it doesn't say 21. Which has made me wonder if I could (in theory) buy a handgun and sell or give it to somebody of age 18. Not that I have any plans to do so, I don't even know anyone that age. I've just always wondered.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    OK.. I'm glad this was brought up. This is something I've wondered about for a while. Here in Texas, the laws say you have to be 21 to buy a handgun. Yet, when reading on the laws about selling a handgun it gives a list of requirements for any person you sell or give one to (can't be a known felon, etc.) but it says they must be at least 18 years of age. That has always left me scratching my head wondering why it doesn't say 21. Which has made me wonder if I could (in theory) buy a handgun and sell or give it to somebody of age 18. Not that I have any plans to do so, I don't even know anyone that age. I've just always wondered.
    Cant answer for your state in full but, the 21 year old rule is Federal under that age one can not buy a handgun from a FFL dealer-but states that allow a pearson 18-20 can buy from a private person who doesnt have a ffl. Both http://handgunlaw.us and OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost! ... have links or threads on these very things.

Links