Going to California and have some questions

This is a discussion on Going to California and have some questions within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm flying out to California next week to visit my family. I know OC is legal out there and I plan on carrying, but I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Going to California and have some questions

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Going to California and have some questions

I'm flying out to California next week to visit my family. I know OC is legal out there and I plan on carrying, but I do have a few questions. I will be in Shasta county in the Redding area. About the only thing I do know in Cali is that LEO's can stop you to check your firearm to make sure it is not loaded. So my questions are as follows:

1. Can I keep a loaded mag separate from the gun?
    2. Are there any mag restrictions? More specifically amount of rounds.
    2. Are there restrictions on carrying in certain areas/towns/cities etc...
    3. Are hollow points legal?
    4. How do you legally transport in a vehicle?
    5. As a non California resident, how can I carry a non registered handgun since I don't have registration in my state?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I'm flying out to California next week to visit my family. I know OC is legal out there and I plan on carrying, but I do have a few questions. I will be in Shasta county in the Redding area. About the only thing I do know in Cali is that LEO's can stop you to check your firearm to make sure it is not loaded. So my questions are as follows:

5. As a non California resident, how can I carry a non registered handgun since I don't have registration in my state?

Thanks in advance.
    visit Handgunlaw.us
    I don't believe that you'll be able to carry there, I believe they ban any mags over 10 rnds

California doesn't like folks whom think for themselves, you won't be welcome with your little friend.

Seriously don't know much about their laws other than higher round count mags are illegal, however if you are a criminal they are fine until you get caught.

Visit Handgunlaw.us and CaliforniaOpenCarry.org first! California is horrible... so you better be really sure before you roll the dice.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Thanks in advance.
    Hey, you're going to be in my area! Let me know if you want to meet up and go shoot.

Well, I'll just tell you right up front that YES, OC is legal in California and YES, you will be visiting a great gun-friendly part of the state as far as the majority of the people and LE. But I speak from experience when I say that it's not a good idea at all to OC here! The "unloaded" stickler in the rule pretty much defeats the purpose of carrying OC for any real use, thus making OC pretty much extinct around here, even in this area. Trust me, I've had the cops called on me once while I was pumping gas on my way to go hunting! I was 100% legal. I don't want to hear of you being hassled. It will happen and it's just not worth it. (Yes I know that "gun friendly" and "not worth it" seem contradictory but there are many that move to this area that are shocked at the sight of guns around town and not at a range or hunging areas.)

Your firearm doesn't have to be "registered" to be here either. Firearm registration in California is for assault weapons, .50 BMG and machine guns with others and exceptions here... Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General Main site-Please visit! You will find almost all of your answers there. You can even call the DOJ as they have been very friendly and helpful to me when I've had specific questions.

Answer to:

1. Loaded Mag- I would keep chamber and mag empty and out of the gun. You will have to travel with the handgun in a locked container as described below, section 12026.1.

Traveling with Firearms in California
    HANDGUNS
    California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.
    2. Mag Restrictions - Yes, 10 round mag capacity. There are some "pre-ban" exceptions to this but I am under the impression that it means for Ca. residents.

Answer to the OTHER number 2. Call the Shasta County Sheriff's Dept. for information on this. LEO's around here are for the most part, pro-gun. The Sheriff's there and surrounding counties issue a lot of CCWs but to add to what I stated above, they will also have to respond to the call from the "average Californian" and their MWAG call. It's not like it used to be in the good old days here!

3. Hollowpoints Legal - Yes, hollowpoints are legal. Of course, there are also exceptions to that too but chances are you are ok if you have hollowpoints that are pretty standard and can be purchased around town for SD. For example, Hornady XTP = OK. Just make sure they don't explode on impact or pierce armour.

4. How do you transport in vehicle - Traveling with Firearms in California - Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General Part of this quoted above.

5. Registered? - You won't have to worry about that as long as you legally possess and are transport it legally according to the state's law also found at that site.

In a nutshell though, In and around the city or populated areas, if you carry legally and it's out-of-sight out-of-mind of the public, you aren't risking anything. Local LEO's and departments are very pro-gun. They also hunt / fish etc. and are used to others that do too so they are used to running into the good guys with firearms and you probably won't get the same reaction that you would in Los Angeles County. So, legal to OC, yes; Advised, No. Just because it's legal, doesn't mean it's a good idea. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I just don't want to see you on the local news. Just hope this helps.

Do you mind me asking about where in the Redding area you'll be? There's everything from city to rural places that are used to shooting. Big area! And seriously too, if you want to go shoot while you're here, PM me. I'm game.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I'm visiting my mom and she lives in a development just off of Churn Creek near the Mall. I would love to go shooting, unfortunately she has the week pretty well planned out. We're going out to Shasta Lake, Waterworks park, and shes even taking us to the heart of anti-gun central... San Fransisco But it's for my son, he wants to go to the zoo and we're all going to have a night on the town. I will not be OCing in San Fransisco... I'm not that crazy. Just around Redding and Shasta County.

If you see another open carrier around with a black hat that has a skull on it, it's probably me. Feel free to say hi.

I still have not decided 100% if I am going to do this... I want to just to say I did and make a political statement... but the other side of me says, do I really want to stir up a hornets nest? The culture out there with guns is far different then here in PA.

VIP Member
    OK, I'm not going to give you gun advice but if you go to frisco you need to do two things.

1) Go to Joe's and get a burger. Just ask someone on the street they will give you directions to it, it's a landmark.

2) Go to pier 39 (fisherman's wharf) and get an order of clamb chowder in a bread bowl. The bread bowl thing is popular all over now but this is one of the places it started.
    mprp likes this.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Having grown up in CA and going there on a not too irregular basis, I frankly would leave the firearm at home. It's a surefire way to get harassed a LOT in CA. And you may end up spending the night in jail somewhere and then having the legal wranglings to get out of any charges and get your gun back. Lots of trouble to get in just to prove a point.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I will not be OCing in San Fransisco... I'm not that crazy. Just around Redding and Shasta County.
    PA.
    Kind of funny you mention that you're going down there. Here's where their minds are down there... State bill would make open carry of handguns a misdemeanor | SF Public Press Notice the pic where it's not even a firearm, it's a "starting" gun. LOL They don't know the difference anyways so I guess it works for their show. Those morons down there will protest anything they don't understand.

My wife and I have been trying to get the boat out to Shasta Lake for weeks now. We've been too dang busy and actually just got back from my nephew's wedding about 1/2 hr. ago. I think we're going next weekend though. The kids will dig Waterworks Park. It's been hanging around mid 90's to about 100F and supposed to be that all next week too. Looks like you're visiting the right places.

BTW, you won't be too far from the Jones Fort and Bastiani Arms gun stores right there off of Cypress Ave. if you want to check those out too.

atctimmy
    OK, I'm not going to give you gun advice but if you go to frisco you need to do two things.

1) Go to Joe's and get a burger. Just ask someone on the street they will give you directions to it, it's a landmark.

2) Go to pier 39 (fisherman's wharf) and get an order of clamb chowder in a bread bowl. The bread bowl thing is popular all over now but this is one of the places it started.
    ...also good advice! If they're a restaraunt and they're in SF, they're probably good. And nothing beats coastal clam chowder!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I'm flying out to California
    I'm so so sorry
    Spec likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    Having grown up in CA and going there on a not too irregular basis, I frankly would leave the firearm at home. It's a surefire way to get harassed a LOT in CA. And you may end up spending the night in jail somewhere and then having the legal wranglings to get out of any charges and get your gun back. Lots of trouble to get in just to prove a point.
    Having lived there for 29 years I would have to agree with this. I would give you 20 min out in public before the police get a man with a gun call about you. Also you can't OC within 1000 feet of a school. So be very careful where you go. In many cities the school zones almost completely rule out OC.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post

I'd love to, but I just discovered about 3 months ago I'm gluten intolerant... so no bread, wheat, barley or malt for me

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    I'm so so sorry
    my exact thoughts...
    avoid Commiefornia at all costs... even if that means paying for mom to fly to me.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

STOP!
    Do NOT OC in California in a city, ever.
    You are asking for trouble. The police absolutely will freak out, probably confiscate the gun, and cause you a buttload of trouble.
    As far as transporting a gun in California, it must be locked up and the ammunition must be kept seperate from it in the trunk or vice-versa. If they are sitting together in the back seat it will be considered loaded and concealed and you will go to jail. It happened to me.

Why on earth would you OC in California anyway? You can only do it if the gun is unloaded.

That's just stupid, you'll have all the liabilties and none of the benefits of having a firearm on your hip.
    Some criminal might just take his concealed illegal loaded gun out and take your useless empty OC gun.
    Last edited by ZappBranigan; August 10th, 2011 at 10:13 AM.

I'm leaving Saturday and I am weighing the options still, Pro and con. I will be in a more pro-gun part of the state, at the same time I gotta watch the schools in and around Redding. I still have some time to think about it. What if I brought it along and kept it loaded while I am at my moms house for protection, and didn't take it out in public? Would that be OK? I know in states like Jersey that is a big no-no. How about in Cali?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links