Castle Doctrine & Stand Your Ground

This is a discussion on Castle Doctrine & Stand Your Ground within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for all the replies, great info!...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Castle Doctrine & Stand Your Ground

Thanks for all the replies, great info!

2. Remove Ads

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by NoNameMan View Post
    Shouldn't PA be green?
    Yep, but looks like the date on that map is 2010.

Very intresting stuff from our northern neighbour. Good Job on the map and research.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I like that FL made it pretty simple: You can use deadly force anywhere you are allowed to legally be--which is pretty much anywhere where CC isn't prohibited. Home, car, public park: no difference, no need to retreat.

YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

SAME as Michigan!!!!!!!!!

Glad we had the right Attorney General
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

IF I find a 2011 I'll post! =)

Welcome to the forum biglos, it's great to have you on the forum. It's always interesting to hear how the other side lives.
    Just cause you're paranoid, doesn't mean you're wrong....

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar

Reasonable force

Iowa has no castle doctrine or stand your ground doctrine per say but current law is quite reasonable so long as you only associate with randomly reasonable people.

CHAPTER 704 FORCE == REASONABLE OR DEADLY == DEFENSES

We as in the Iowa Firearms Coalition along with the NRA are working on language more in line with Stand your ground.

hehe so next time someone asks me if I live in a "Red or Blue" state I get to say neither. I live in a green state. :)
    EDC: FN FNP-9 w/ three 16 rnd magazines. Mini Maglite.

" The unarmed man is not just defenseless, he is also contemptible." ~ Machiavelli.

NC is semi accurate. We have, at best, a partial CD. That will change on 12-1-11. We'll have a CD as good as anyone, and civil immunity.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    IS a "Stand Your Ground" statute redundant if there is no statutory duty to retreat?
    I think a Stand Your Ground law is more of a re-affirmation. I believe also, most Stand Your Ground also spells out you can not be sued civilly from the BG, his estate or relatives where it may not otherwise be part of another statute.

BTW... Welcome Aboard biglos. Glad to have you here!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Guantes: Methinks your somewhat "tongue in cheek" redundancy question was answered clearly by at least 2 repliers. Stating the fact front and center on "stand your ground" may have an element of redundancy but it does make it very clear without any misunderstanding. Not only are we a "red state" per the map, here in SC, but all recent case law has the full weight of the legal system on the side of the defender and not on the side of the perp. As far as Castle Doctrine is concerned, God help the perp who chooses home breakins and burglary as his profession of choice--in SC, you get a personal visit from the solicitor/prosecutor who thanks you for lessening their case load. You also get a chance to read in the paper about the perp's family and what a "good boy" he WAS.
    When it comes to "stand your ground", we are in a very different scenario. Personally, I believe in "situational awareness" a heck of a lot more than "stand your ground". If I am not there, I will not have to stand my ground. I also believe in getting away from everything and anything that looks like it will end up in a "stand your ground" moment. As told to me by my CCWP instructor--if a situation does come about, I will retreat as best I can and will be yelling at the top of my lungs all the time (witnesses). Personally, I am 69 years old and have never come close to anything remotely resembling such a situation--I will live where I live, do what I do, and always follow my instincts and awareness--always a what if but I do not see stand your ground as being something that I should really be spending time thinking about other than being aware of where I am at all times and what my alternatives are as related to situational awareness where the scenario has a element of what if (this is why I read these forums).

Ed "spendell" wouldn't sign the castle doctrine into law......typical democrat.......Corbett promised to sign it into law, which he did.

There was very little "tongue in cheek" in my question.
    Re my question as to the redundancy of "Stand Your Ground" statutes if there is no requirement of retreat, several good points were made by others relative to re-affirmation and civil protection.

In Idaho we have what I would call an unwritten "stand your ground" with legal/civil protection.

No requirement to retreat.

Statutes
    Statutes

Legal protection

Statutes

Civil protection

Statutes

Thus, I believe the benefits from a separate "Stand Your Ground" statute would be minimal.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Welcome to the forum. This is one map where I'm glad Texas isn't a red state.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I like that FL made it pretty simple: You can use deadly force anywhere you are allowed to legally be--which is pretty much anywhere where CC isn't prohibited. Home, car, public park: no difference, no need to retreat.
    same here as well, and I don't think there should be any question about it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links