Castle Doctrine & Stand Your Ground

This is a discussion on Castle Doctrine & Stand Your Ground within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure if this has been posted yet, but this is an interesting article about " Castle Doctrine & Stand Your Ground" use of your ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Castle Doctrine & Stand Your Ground

Castle Doctrine & Stand Your Ground

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but this is an interesting article about " Castle Doctrine & Stand Your Ground" use of your firearm,posted by one of my Canadian friends, but also includes a map of the US.

Castle Doctrine & Stand Your Ground Red Ensign

I'm a newbie on this forum, just thought I'd post.

PS - Glad I live in Washington State so far when it comes to gun laws, concealed carry and home, personal and property defense.

Washington State Law: RCW 9A.16.110: Defending against violent crime

2. Remove Ads

Welcome, very nice map! I wish Ohio was green! Duty to retreat is arguable as it pertains to safely retreat. I am not turning my back on a BG because I have a duty to retreat. I also am not going to try to run away backwards, I am not that coordinated.
    garyacman likes this.
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    Welcome, very nice map! I wish Ohio was green! Duty to retreat is arguable as it pertains to safely retreat. I am not turning my back on a BG because I have a duty to retreat. I also am not going to try to run away backwards, I am not that coordinated.
    In the same boat here in Minnesota. I'm sticking with the 'I was in fear for my life' mantra...
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

IS a "Stand Your Ground" statute redundant if there is no statutory duty to retreat?
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I like that FL made it pretty simple: You can use deadly force anywhere you are allowed to legally be--which is pretty much anywhere where CC isn't prohibited. Home, car, public park: no difference, no need to retreat.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    IS a "Stand Your Ground" statute redundant if there is no statutory duty to retreat?
    Good question, but I think "Stand your Ground" laws clear up any of the mud..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    Hopefully next legislative session we can get Castle Doctrine pushed through here in VA.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Yep - I'm a fan of castle doctrine and stand your ground. Pretty much anything else tells the criminal that he can do whatever he wants and citizens are all fair game.

Just imagine what would happen in Mexico if they suddenly introduced CCW and castle doctrine. The drug lords would be in serious trouble, but since they run the government, that will obviously never happen.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Welcome and nice map and article!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

It's nice to be in Tennessee! You know, looking at that map reminded me of the presidential election electoral map. Do you see any relationships?

Shouldn't PA be green?
    vrez likes this.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Is Pennsylvania still a state?
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Minnesota is pretty bad, they tried to get a better law passed earlier this year but it didn't make it this go around.

Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    Is Pennsylvania still a state?
    Well, a Commonwealth...
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

No.
    I do not believe this statute was written necessarily for those who are protecting themselves. I believe it was written as a reminder to the government that the citizens have retained the right to protect themselves. The government has a habit of ignoring laws written to limit its power. This was just a reminder.

Michael

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links