daughter and carry

This is a discussion on daughter and carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a responsable 18 yr old daughter. She knows gun saftey, but travels quite a bit. shpould she carry her weapon when traveling alone. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: daughter and carry

daughter and carry

I have a responsable 18 yr old daughter. She knows gun saftey, but travels quite a bit. shpould she carry her weapon when traveling alone. I think she should, but I am just asking for opinions.

2. Remove Ads

Uhh.. I think we need more info, such as the laws of your state. Do they allow this, especially for an 18 year old?
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Most states allow possession of pistols, but as far as I know, most of them don't allow carry outside the home. This might only be relevant in your state for concealed carry though... Like adric22 says, first identify the laws in your state.

If it's legal, she should do it!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Well... first she needs to sit down and really think about the responsibility of using deadly force to defend herself. This isn't one of those "I'm your father and I say!" moments.
    limatunes likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Correction!

If it's legal and IF SHE DECIDES SHE'S READY FOR IT, she should do it.

Carrying a gun is about being ready to take a life if need be. That is a huge decision and responsibility that should not be taken lightly. If she understands the responsibilities of life and death IN ADDITION to the responsibilities of safety with a firearm and she is willing to take those upon herself (not just because Daddy wants her to either) then I think she is ready.

A gun in the hands of someone unable or unwilling to use it can be just as bad (or worse) than no gun at all.

I don't think that she can conceal carry while under 21.
    FWIW my son just turned 21 and is getting his permit to carry however I am urging him not to carry, it's a maturity thing I am concerned about

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    +1 what limatunes said.

On one hand, there are people who are as young as your daughter is, fighting (with loaded weapons!) in our wars. On the other hand, if she is like the "majority" of 18 yr olds I know and have known, I'd say "no way". She must be an exceptionally mature and competent person for you to consider her to carry a weapon.

*if it's legal in the place or places your daughter will be* and concealed carry is not an option for whatever reason, glove box carry may be a good alternative that way it's there if she needs it but not constantly digging into her side.

She should carry if she is mature enough to understand and handle the responsibilities of CC'ing.

I once seen an e-mail floating around about this.

It went something like this...

It showed a map with your Daughter, a Rapist that is around the block, and the nearest Policeman which happens to be many, many blocks away. Then it simply showed three pictures. One of a condom, one of a cell phone , and one of a handgun. Then it asks which one do you think would best protect her?

If you don't know my answer you haven't read any of my posts.
    Last edited by ConcealedG30; August 17th, 2011 at 10:11 PM.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

I Just took the KY ccdw class this past Saturday and I'm certain that the minimum age to obtain a permit is 21. Glove box carry and as of July, according to my instructor, center console carry in a vehicle are both legal without a permit for those over 18. Open carry is also legal but I suspect that is a route she is unlikely to take.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Concealed carry is legal in Indiana under 21
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    A gun in the hands of someone unable or unwilling to use it can be just as bad (or worse) than no gun at all.
    Though I'm not really disputing this comment, I guess I don't understand how that is worse than no gun at all.

I don't know if I can shoot someone in cold blood - who does until faced with a no-win scenario. So, how is it worse or as bad as no gun at all?

Quote Originally Posted by fenderpig View Post
    I have a responsable 18 yr old daughter. She knows gun saftey, but travels quite a bit. shpould she carry her weapon when traveling alone. I think she should, but I am just asking for opinions.
    I also have a daughter that is responsible and knows gun safety. (all of my kids do) But gun safety isn't going to be everything for her to consider. The gun too isn't all she is going to have to consider, caliber, capacity, size, on and on.

Equally important to her are also going to be laws. Not only laws around her city / town, but laws in the places that she is going to be traveling to, as you stated above.

Another thing that she will have to consider and come to realize is retention and wardrobe. (if she's going to carry on her person) Cheap is usually not a good thing and this is an area where everyone has their own preference and style.

You pose a very broad question that hints of a parent wanting to be protective of their daughter but if she wants to do this, she is going to have to be serious about it. She will have to be the one that is interested and take on the full responsibility of carrying something that can end someone's life yet save her own.

There is a lot more to carrying a firearm for self-preservation than just "knowing gun safety." Knowing gun safety is something that all beginners ought to know the first time they go to a controlled environment at a shooting range or even if they were to simply pick up a firearm. Carrying for personal protection is something that should weigh hevily on someone and something that they should give a whole lot of thought to as it is a responsibility that can either save or ruin your life.

So even if she can't carry where she lives now but is seriously thinking about it, I would recommend a lot of research on her part and to seek professional instruction and range time to remain proficient. That's just a couple of my thoughts but like others have said, the level of benefit to her in carrying is going to all be up to her and how seriously she takes it.
    limatunes likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    Though I'm not really disputing this comment, I guess I don't understand how that is worse than no gun at all.

I don't know if I can shoot someone in cold blood - who does until faced with a no-win scenario. So, how is it worse or as bad as no gun at all?
    Not to answer for limatunes, but I very much agree with her point...Recently, there was a convenience store that got held up, the clerk pulled a gun and shot the robber. Then he proceeded to stand over the robber and shot him one more time killing him, that clerk is now serving a life sentence for murder. One half second misuse can bring about a lifetime of trouble. Use it in a situation that's legally justified, yet there is a crowd around, take a mother or father or child's life by accident; and even if not legally responsible for a crime, there is a mental toll that you'll carry with you every single day of the rest of your life. Freshman year in college carries a statistically high suicide rate, at that age, there is still mental development taking place and physical changes taking place in the brain, to where there are often long term solutions to short term problems.

Knowing the 4 rules and to use a good holster and you can and can't carry here, is a start; but there is far more weight on your hip than that of the gun. There's some people who aren't appreciative of that weight, or are unaware, or just hadn't taken the time to place that thought; gun ownership is not something to be taken lightly nor is carrying.

This is the Open Carry forum, so I'll place my response in that paradigm. Aside from concerns already raised in the thread, about maturity and it being her decision, and as it will be legally, her responsibility to accept. Being an 18 year old female generally tends to attract a fair bit of social attention, is she prepared to handle that extra attention? OCing, is she of the preparedness that should she need to use it that she will be prepared and capable? Is she prepared to handle the immediate aftermath? These aren't just things to ask her but she needs to reflect upon herself; also you need to consider what the laws are in KY, and if you as being the person over 21, are possibly responsible for her firearm possession and consequently possible use and possible misuse thereof; in some states that's how it works and I am not familiar with KY law.

Glock Certified Armorer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links