Western Idaho Fair: Security and Deputies - Page 2

Western Idaho Fair: Security and Deputies

This is a discussion on Western Idaho Fair: Security and Deputies within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by packinnova So why did they bother to check bags? I don't get it. The sheer stupidity of that concept escapes me. OK, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Western Idaho Fair: Security and Deputies

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    So why did they bother to check bags? I don't get it. The sheer stupidity of that concept escapes me. OK, we're checking bags, but we'll just let anyone openly carrying right in... It makes no sense. So the woman carrying a small handgun in a purse is somehow more dangerous than the 180lb male with the 1911 out in the open? What a waste of time, money and resources.
    Most of the time they're searching for alcohol and drugs, not weapons. Even so, if you have a properly holstered weapon on your hip with one or two spare mags on you, that's a whole different animal than two or three pistols, a dozen spare mags, and a sawed off shotgun in a duffel bag.

Or big chunks of soft plastic looking material with wires sticking out of it... Personally, if I were local to these guys, I'd be writing letters of support to their department and the local paper. Good to see some officers with knowledge and respect of civilian firearms ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    My experience with security at the front gate. Three private security guards after the ticket booth but before the turnstile. Two Ada County Deputy Sheriffs just past the turnstile.

Sec guards checking purses, hand bags etc. I don't have any such bags. Am open carrying my Colt 1911 Gov't Model at 4 oclock in my Black Hawk Serpa.

Sec Guard #1 turns from the person whose bag he has just cleared of having any weapons hidden. Looks at me and then to my 1911. Looks up and says "Handgun in holster, ok have a nice day!"

Security guards #'s 2 and 3: Keep talking to each other.
    Ada County Deputies: Glance down at my hip and continue their conversation.

Encounters with 4 more Ada Deputies and numerous Security Guards throughout the evening with the same results.

No screaming children or panic stricken victims except the ones robbed by the $4 sodas and Ice Cream Cones!

Great times were had by all!
    Man, that is AWESOME! I may have to add Idaho to the list of states I would be willing to reside in, at least because of the gun laws.

Unfortunately, there is a specific clause in the Indiana carry law that prohibits carrying at all at the Indiana state fair. And, that really sucks.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Unfortunately, there is a specific clause in the Indiana carry law that prohibits carrying at all at the Indiana state fair. And, that really sucks.
    You guys need to get that amended in case you have any Wisconson type incidents at your next fair.

The wife and I will be going to our state fair tomorrow. Utah law allows for carry at that event.

Awesome!

I was dropping off the kids at the grandparents in Idaho earlier this summer and one morning my Bro and I shot his .45 off his back deck at some cans down under the hill. Then we wandered over to the fairgrounds where the Sheriff was cooking chorizo's and pouring draft beers at a litte food stand, we then took our beers into a nearby fairground building where a gun auction was happening.

Later that day we drove out to a drag strip in the desert and watched mud bog and drag races all afternoonn.

Got me a years worth of red-necking logged in less than 12 hours. It was great!

Shhhhh...., we have enough people.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    So why did they bother to check bags? I don't get it. The sheer stupidity of that concept escapes me. OK, we're checking bags, but we'll just let anyone openly carrying right in... It makes no sense. So the woman carrying a small handgun in a purse is somehow more dangerous than the 180lb male with the 1911 out in the open? What a waste of time, money and resources.
    I would have to think they are checking bags to make sure you ain't smuggling in any drinks or eats so they can get $4 a pop outta your purse
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Idaho is a great state. I was there a few years ago and found the local governments trust their people and do not over regulate them. It is one of my favorite states to visit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links