Anyone See this? California open carry ban?

This is a discussion on Anyone See this? California open carry ban? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Capitol Alert: 'Open carry' ban wins approval in California Senate...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Anyone See this? California open carry ban?

Anyone See this? California open carry ban?

2. Remove Ads

GM
    I did not know about it, but it does not surprise me at all.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Well, if I was to walk into a fast food establishment and a nut came in and started shooting patrons, I'd be very happy to find several people who either were OC or CC to put him down before he got to me. But in California, they prefer to just die.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Reason number 20 for me not to return to my roots. Its really a shame even though I'm not interested in open carry. The conceal carry permit for California is what I would like but the chances of getting one is tough. Oh well, Arizona works for me.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Nope...nothing surprising here. Doesn't sound like they are losing much, the "right" to carry an unloaded gun.
    CHOICE = unloaded gun vs. no gun Hmmmmm.....
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"Komrad...vee MUST eliminate the zee firearms from zee hands of the proletariat and keep zem ONLY in zee hands of the State!"

"Ya Komrad!...vee MUST!"

"Skol Komrad!"

"Ya! Skol!"
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Nope...nothing surprising here. Doesn't sound like they are losing much, the "right" to carry an unloaded gun.
    CHOICE = unloaded gun vs. no gun Hmmmmm.....
    I agree, but the disturbing aspect is the trend.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    Well, I'm 60 years old and never lost anything in CA. Can't see a reason for going there period.

On a side note, I wonder what they would do if all the OC crowd started carrying a claw hammer in they belt now. Never mind, they'd just outlaw that too.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    There are places where common sense isn't common enough to prevail.
    California, Illinois, New Jersey, Maryland, Massachusetts, all you can do is shake your head,
    and do your best not to spend any money in those places, or do business with companies in those states.
    It appears they have been surrendered to the "Antis". IMO
    Justified likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

reason #355 not to set foot in CA...
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Were gonna have to extend the Border wall from Arizona up to the Utah border
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Were gonna have to extend the Border wall from Arizona up to the Canadian border
    Fixed it for ya...
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

It's California, the land of Fruits, Nuts, Flakes and weepy eyed liberals. And really, if we didn't have that bunch, we "Zonies" would have nothing to poke fun at.
    Mr B likes this.

VIP Member
    I was born in CA. Got the heck out when I was 3 months old - dang I was smart.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    I agree, but the disturbing aspect is the trend.
    The bill was approved 21-18, with three Democrats joining Republicans in opposing the measure. This is no landslide, and the trend is positive with eventual victory for 2A. For one thing, the gun grabbers are painting themselves into a corner.
    Briefly, you may recall that last December, a U.S. District Court:
    upheld San Diego Sheriff William Gore’s restrictive and unfair policies in issuing permits to carry concealed firearms.... The District Court held that people do not need a CCW to "bear arms"-at least not loaded arms-for self-defense purposes. The court found that, "as a practical matter," California allows you to carry an unloaded handgun openly in a holster (Penal Code Section 12025(f)) and, if attacked, you can simply load it to defend yourself (Cal. Pen. Code section 12031(j)).
    Peruta v. San Diego seeks to overturn and is getting a lot of traction with Amici briefs from the likes of the Center of Constitutional Jurisprudence (CCJ), Doctors for Responsible Gun Ownership, and the Law Enforcement Alliance of America, represented by constitutional law scholar and former Dean & Henry Salvatori Professor of Law & Community Service at Chapman University, School of Law, Dr. John Eastman. The brief refers to Heller and its acknowledgement of the right to bear.
    Renowned civil rights activist and attorney Don B. Kates filed an amicus brief on behalf of Gun Owners of California and Senator H. L. Richardson, discussing the history of California’s firearms laws regulating concealed and loaded carry, and how its leaving lawful the open carry of unloaded firearms was a loophole, never intended as a means of self-defense carry as the lower court concluded. It also addresses the trend of liberal CCW issuance from a criminological perspective.

Alan Gura authored an amicus brief generally in support of Plaintiffs on behalf of the Second Amendment Foundation, Calguns Foundation and two individuals weighing in with their view of the proper standard of review in this case....

As the legal briefs filed on appeal point out, and as the ILEETA videos clearly show, there is nothing "practical" about the court's finding. In addition to the various legal restrictions on openly carrying an unloaded firearm, which require one to be in “immediate and grave danger” before a gun can be loaded, the time needed to load it makes it useless in a self-defense emergency. In short, unloaded open carry does not allow for effective self-defense, nor is it an effective way to exercise your fundamental right to be ready and able to defend yourself under the Second Amendment. Plaintiffs are asking the Ninth Circuit to overrule the district court's decision.(
    The kind of hodgepodge that is California's scorn for 2A can not stand.
    chiefjason, DirkD and nerdyvirgin like this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links