OC-er suing police

This is a discussion on OC-er suing police within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm glad he's suing and I hope he wins. This was retaliation pure and simple. But I think this case perfectly illustrates the problem with ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: OC-er suing police

ITW
    I'm glad he's suing and I hope he wins.

This was retaliation pure and simple.

But I think this case perfectly illustrates the problem with open carry and the publics sometimes understandable reaction.

I was talking to a local LEO today from my community. I started asking him questions about concealed carry, and reciprocity in surrounding states.

I was shocked at what he didn't know. Which was just about everything. He mumbled something about that's why they only concern themselves with S.C. law. What was interesting was every question I asked was about S.C. law.

He said something about leaving the legal matters up to folks in the office. I thought to myself, hum that's interesting. Hard to know how to enforce the law if you don't even know what it is.

2. Remove Ads

In almost any profession, there are those who attempt to do it as professionally as possible, then there are those who just muddle through.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I'm old enough to remember when people OC'd in towns, had gun racks with loaded guns in them (unlocked and windows down) and it was never a thought, a concern, nor a subject of discussuion.

Boy things have changed. He should sue them, and I hope he wins every dime of it.

I was out in the yard, working on various items, etc.... my shirt had come up and was caught above my gun. The new neighbor came over to meet me. We talked, I realized the gun was totally exposed when he looked down at it for a second, and didn't try to cover it up or anything. Nice guy, had a nice chat, and he went home. No big deal. NOW >.... if that had been the local police who noticed it..... I'm sure I would have been in the same situation as this guy, and suing them afterwards.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    "This is a police officer. He works for the community. He works for me. What he did was wrong," said Haman.
    There you go, "he works for me." How many times has law enforcement heard that? While I admit that the reaction was over the top, how many times do citizens think that police are their servants.

THe police overreacted. I am a former Michigan resident and OC'd often enough out near (oh the horrors) super liberal Ann Arbor. No one batted an eye and no cop ever bothered me. Granted he may have wanted attention, but normally the police pull up, walk up to the alleged MWAG and while they have a hand on their gun, engage the person in conversation and usually leave. Here, they specifically told him he should call first to exercise his right to OC? Nope, chaaaa-ching is right. This will get settled for about $20-50k. But it won';t affect the officers until the citizens complain about tax dollars going to hell.

My opinion is that the police have a job to perform, but they over reacted. They could have done the same as this cop did. God Bless

Oceanside open carry - YouTube

I can't open carry here in Texas,but I can tell you I was out one day and the wind caught my shirt and blew it up and exposed my concealed carry gun and someone saw that and called the police.I was in a walmarts parking lot.I didn't even realize it because I automaticly pulled my shirt back down and continued my shopping.When I got back out to my car,there was a policeman standing there and he asked to see my CHL permit.He said they had recieved a mwag call and he had to check it out.I said yes sir and showed it to him and he said:sorry to bother you,stay safe and have a nice day.I said:you too officer and that was it.no fuss,no muss.

... and that's exactly how it should always be sjones, I can handle that kind of interaction.

To protect and to serve:
    What does protect and serve mean

Warren Police Commissioner Jere Green, who was named in the suit, couldn't comment specifically, but he said he supports the officer's actions 100-percent. Officers, he said, are duty bound and can't assume someone openly carrying a gun is following the law.
    Actually if there is no law against what he was doing then what else could they assume? He was breaking no law, end of story.

Michael
    Thunder71 likes this.

Do they pull over and point a gun at everyone who is driving a car to make sure they are doing it legally?

Yeah, didn't think so...

Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    I can't open carry here in Texas,but I can tell you I was out one day and the wind caught my shirt and blew it up and exposed my concealed carry gun and someone saw that and called the police.I was in a walmarts parking lot.I didn't even realize it because I automaticly pulled my shirt back down and continued my shopping.When I got back out to my car,there was a policeman standing there and he asked to see my CHL permit.He said they had recieved a mwag call and he had to check it out.I said yes sir and showed it to him and he said:sorry to bother you,stay safe and have a nice day.I said:you too officer and that was it.no fuss,no muss.
    Or he could have just observed you...saw you were just an ordinary Jones going about your ordinary business...and been on his way without any interaction at all.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I disagree with the thought that this is a reason to not OC. If we all avoided using our constitutional rights, one by one they would begin to dwindle.

The police here did not fully assess the situation before jumping to conclusions. That's where they went wrong.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    maybe if he wins he can buy something other than a high point for carry
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Needed to make sure he was OC'ing legally? Wouldn't illegal OC in a state that allows it be CC'ing?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

mel
    Hit them where it hurts, in the pocket book. Ooops, I guess that means that the tax payers are going to have to up some more money, because their employees don't know there head from a hole in the ground.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links