OC-er suing police

OC-er suing police

This is a discussion on OC-er suing police within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Reason #27, why NOT to OC. I'm not saying this guy isn't within his rights to OC or that the LEO was wrong, but this ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: OC-er suing police

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar

OC-er suing police

Reason #27, why NOT to OC. I'm not saying this guy isn't within his rights to OC or that the LEO was wrong, but this is what happens after someone makes a 911/MWAG call from their cell phone.

Warren Man Claims His Right to Bear Arms Was Violated

The cops were wrong. So would it be alright for a cop to put you on the ground at a traffic stop if you notified? he violated no law, they had no right to detain him let alone do what they did.

Worst case senario it should have gone like this. Mind if I secure your fire arm? Hey I know you have a right to OC but we are getting calls, are you close to home or can you CC to prevent the issue?

That said, this is my issue with open carry and why I don't (other than it being illegal in my state). Until it is commonly done the sheep in your avatar will continue to freak out and this will continue to happen.

Man I am glad my county not only allows but endorses citizens rights.

Aside from the occasional OC picnic or other special OC event(s), you rarely see anyone OC here in MI. At least, I rarely see them. So, it's understandable why sheeple still freak out when they see it/OC. Again, not saying whether LEO was right or wrong, just saying he was being extremely/overly "cautious". However, even though I believe this guy's got a pretty good case, it will depend on how good his lawyer is and whether the presiding judge is sympathetic to his cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackscon View Post
    That said, this is my issue with open carry and why I don't (other than it being illegal in my state). Until it is commonly done the sheep in your avatar will continue to freak out and this will continue to happen.
    While I understand where you are coming from, not wanting to cause a scene. It is also worth mentioning that if everybody stops exercising a right just because it bothers a few people, then you will lose that right completely. I'd say the best thing to do is keep pushing for more public education, and proper training for police officers. By public education, simply seeing lots of good, law-abiding folks, carrying guns in open will educate the public (and the criminals).

Its truly amazing how many folks have no idea that there is such a thing as a concealed handgun license and that there are people all around them carrying handguns.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

adric22 exactly my point, until people see it, it is scary. Once it is everywhere no big deal. We just don't have OC here unless it is private property, so I can OC while I mow the lawn or in my house and that's about it.

Guilty until proven innocent.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    If they pay through the nose a few times, perhaps they will learn to not treat law-abiding citizens as criminals for no reason.
    I do not blame the individual officers for behavior like this, I believe it to be an attitude that comes from much farther up the food chain.
    Just my $.02
    TN_Mike likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    Reason #27, why NOT to OC. I'm not saying this guy isn't within his rights to OC or that the LEO was wrong, but this is what happens after someone makes a 911/MWAG call from their cell phone.

Warren Man Claims His Right to Bear Arms Was Violated
    IMO, a perfect reason TO open carry - with more exposure, there is a better likelyhood that people making reports will base them on the basis of an actual threat.

People like this guy are the ones who end up fighting for what's right under the law, for everyone.
    Dadsnugun and guardmt like this.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    I won't comment on the merits of the law suit. Whether his rights were violated will be decided in court.

As to "Reason #27 not to OC", as long as you live in a state where OC is legal, there is NO LEGITIMATE reason why you shouldn't if you choose to. You may choose not to OC, that's fine, it's your right. He chose to OC, which in Michigan is his legal right.
    jag06, dudester and Dadsnugun like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I won't comment on the merits of the law suit. Whether his rights were violated will be decided in court.

As to "Reason #27 not to OC", as long as you live in a state where OC is legal, there is NO LEGITIMATE reason why you shouldn't if you choose to. You may choose not to OC, that's fine, it's your right. He chose to OC, which in Michigan is his legal right.
    I realize that it is legal to OC in MI. Call me a sissy, or whatever, I just don't want all of that "attention". I'll let this guy educate the public/police by OC-ing and whomever else wishes to so, but I'd rather stay under the radar and CC. And if I get a chance, I'll shake this guy's hand and give him a heartfelt atta' boy, to boot.

i hope he sues the pants off the officers!
    oneshot likes this.

I OC often in Arizona and I haven't yet drawn any unwanted public attention from Police, or soccer moms, or traumatized kids or weepy eyed anti gun liberals.

Oh, I'm sure one or two California tourists probably spotted me with a gun and phoned 911 to report MWAG, and was told by dispatcher:"It's legal in Arizona".

BGs don't OC, law abiding citizens OC, why the LEOS had to treat the guy the way they did is beyond me, DUIs aren't treated as bad as this guy was, and he wasn't a threat to anyone...........cept a BG maybe........or a Democrat........

Cha-Ching $$$$$$...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I actually have several stories about when officers have violated my rights; it is incredibly hard to find an attorney willing to sue the state, I'm still looking for a 2009 incident and another incident earlier this year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links