Okla. lawmakers eye open carry of handguns

This is a discussion on Okla. lawmakers eye open carry of handguns within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It appears the legislature is going to discuss it again. Okla. lawmakers eye open carry of handguns - FOX23 News For those who do not ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By chiefjason

Thread: Okla. lawmakers eye open carry of handguns

Okla. lawmakers eye open carry of handguns

It appears the legislature is going to discuss it again.
    Okla. lawmakers eye open carry of handguns - FOX23 News

For those who do not know an open carry bill was passed overwhelmingly a couple years ago but was vetoed by our then Governor. Although there were enough votes to override the veto they chose instead to let it stand. Effectively showing their true colors.

Last year with a new Governor that promised to pass the bill if elected they could not get the same bill through committee. They are taking another shot at it now but I do not expect anything positive.

I grilled my State Senator on this subject when he had his meeting with his subjects a couple months ago. I pointed out to him that when they knew the bill would never make it past the Governors desk they passed it easily. Then they failed to override his veto even though they clearly had enough votes to do so unless some of them changed their votes when it really mattered. I also asked him why, when they have enough votes, and a Governor that says she will sign it they cannot get the bill out of committee?

My last comment at the meeting did not go over well with him going by his facial expressions.
    I told him I had more respect for those who said they were against it and stood their ground and voted against it than I did for those who voted for it but later did what they could to kill it.

Michael

2. Remove Ads

Wait, I thought the entire country was supposed to follow California's lead. Isn't that what they said? Silly anti gun Californian's, the rest of the county likes having rights.

Yeah, watching the politicians play games like voting for a bill because their constituency wants it when they know it's going to die is aggravating. Some of them do it on gun bills just to get the NRA rating. We had some folks turn on a few gun bills in NC last year. Should have been sure votes, then they start introducing amendments to strike parts of the bill out.

Politics is the second oldest profession, but it bears a striking resemblance to the first.
    rgbiker and Dadsnugun like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

We have a joke down here relating to politics:

Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, teach Gym and those who can't teach Gym go into politics."

Well, good luck getting open carry passed. More options are a good thing.

Gov. Fallin promised us she would sign an open carry bill if the legislature passed it. Then a illegal legislative sub-committee nixed open carry. Some of our fine gun loving Republicans teamed up with the anti-gun Democrats to shaft us on this one. Now the corrupt wheels in the OK legislature are scared that folks will demand a referendum on open carry: They're trying to head that off at the pass.

Unconstitutional Oklahoma House of Reps Committee Kills Open Carry Bill

For a good discussion of the subject:

Unconstitutional Committee In Oklahoma House of Reps Kills Open Carry Bill - THR

Wow, even the republicans are giving people the finger. Huh.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    Gov. Fallin promised us she would sign an open carry bill if the legislature passed it. Then a illegal legislative sub-committee nixed open carry. Some of our fine gun loving Republicans teamed up with the anti-gun Democrats to shaft us on this one. Now the corrupt wheels in the OK legislature are scared that folks will demand a referendum on open carry: They're trying to head that off at the pass.

Unconstitutional Oklahoma House of Reps Committee Kills Open Carry Bill

For a good discussion of the subject:

Unconstitutional Committee In Oklahoma House of Reps Kills Open Carry Bill - THR
    What? Political corruption in Oklahoma? Say it ain't so!

Welcome to the world of slapping the folks that put you there. Most of the bad amendments to our big gun rights bill that passed in NC were written, entered, and voted for by Republicans. Politics, gotta love it.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I'll paraphrase the all-time best comment I've ever heard on Oklahoma politics: "No self-respecting man would waste a cartridge on a skunk when the woods are so full of...." (republicans or democrats, you have your choice of villians here).
    JD
    "In a world of compromise, some men don't." HK ad slogan from the 1980's.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    It appears the legislature is going to discuss it again.
    Okla. lawmakers eye open carry of handguns - FOX23 News

For those who do not know an open carry bill was passed overwhelmingly a couple years ago but was vetoed by our then Governor. Although there were enough votes to override the veto they chose instead to let it stand. Effectively showing their true colors.

Last year with a new Governor that promised to pass the bill if elected they could not get the same bill through committee. They are taking another shot at it now but I do not expect anything positive.

I grilled my State Senator on this subject when he had his meeting with his subjects a couple months ago. I pointed out to him that when they knew the bill would never make it past the Governors desk they passed it easily. Then they failed to override his veto even though they clearly had enough votes to do so unless some of them changed their votes when it really mattered. I also asked him why, when they have enough votes, and a Governor that says she will sign it they cannot get the bill out of committee?

My last comment at the meeting did not go over well with him going by his facial expressions.
    I told him I had more respect for those who said they were against it and stood their ground and voted against it than I did for those who voted for it but later did what they could to kill it.

Michael
    Good for you standing up to the Senator. Now get a grass roots movement going and vote the idiot out of office. Up in Morristown TN a few years ago we had a RINO state representative by the name of Stansell that was siding with the dems on increasing state taxes. It was for the children after all. It was not in my district so I can't take any credit but in the next election the slogan was "cancel Stansell" and now the ole boy is back home with the rest of the folks instead of causing trouble in Nashville.

mel

Inbreds

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post
    What? Political corruption in Oklahoma? Say it ain't so!
    Guess they must have strong ties to Illinois.

Links