Open Carried Today And.....

This is a discussion on Open Carried Today And..... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some 400 AZCDL members attended an OC luncheon Saturday afternoon in Tucson. That's 400 people, most were carrying a LOADED handgun. And in the next ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Open Carried Today And.....

Some 400 AZCDL members attended an OC luncheon Saturday afternoon in Tucson. That's 400 people, most were carrying a LOADED handgun.
    And in the next door convention room was a large gathering of jewelry vendors and customers. Several wandered over to check us out.

Not one handgun was seen jumping out of a holster to begin attack bystanders.

The Police/SWAT was not called, no soccer moms ran out screaming and no children were traumatized by the sight of a loaded gun. Yes, there were children there and CPS did not arrive to scoop them up and file charges on their parents.

'cause this ain't California.

2. Remove Ads

Well, when I OC'd today and went in a pawn shop, the pawn dude asked if my weapon is loaded to which I said yes. He asked me to unload on the spot. I didn't want to freak the other customers out so I just went back to my car and left my gun in the glove compartment. I'm still confused why he asked me to unload it since there's no sign that prohibits weapon in their building. And this happened in Arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by Koba View Post
    Well, when I OC'd today and went in a pawn shop, the pawn dude asked if my weapon is loaded to which I said yes. He asked me to unload on the spot. I didn't want to freak the other customers out so I just went back to my car and left my gun in the glove compartment. I'm still confused why he asked me to unload it since there's no sign that prohibits weapon in their building. And this happened in Arizona.
    Some Pawn shops in Tucson have signs posted on front door dealing with same subject - no loaded guns inside. Some Tucson gun shops have signs concerning guns being cased, holstered or with actions open.

I can see a need for that concern, as far too many gun owners are lax with gun safety.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    I think what you meant to say was that "OC makes ME much more aware of MY surroundings"...I'm not sure if you can/should speak for the whole OC crowd.

Could you please elaborate on your CC "tends to make people complacent" statement.
    I can and I will. I am fairly good at spotting people who CC and think no one knows.
    I have seen people get out of their car and pull their pants up by placing their hand on the under side of the holster and pull up through their cover garment.
    I have seen people habitually and subconsciously touch their gun as if to reassure them that it is still there.
    I have seen people reach up to a top shelf with their strong side arm and completely expose the gun.
    I have seen people who's cover garment has gotten tucked behind the grip of their gun and they were completely clueless about this.
    I have seen many concealed carriers go through a store completely oblivious to the fact that they are printing to the point that they may as well be open carrying.
    And I have seen people with obvious bulges that could be nothing other than a gun and when I watched them long enough they either gave away the fact that it was a gun or I caught a glimpse of it.

In my experience, I would estimate that 80% of concealed carriers tend to think that they are completely under the radar and no one could possibly know that they have a gun on. As a result, their situational awareness is crap, pure and simple. I have watched people walk right up behind them in stores and they didn't realize anyone was there until they bumped into the person.

And I can tell you this, if I am spotting these people who are carrying "concealed" then I assure you the professional criminals out there, like the gang members who actually are very good at profiling people for who may have a gun, are spotting more of them than I am.

Let's face it people, there are a lot of people out there carrying who have exactly no training at all except what they see on TV and that is less than no training in my book. I think it would be fair to say that we all either know someone or have met someone who we think probably shouldn't be carrying for one reason or another. It's these people who have little or no understanding of what situational awareness is. They carry a big gun OWB with just a T-shirt over it and print like crazy. Or they carry in the wrong position for their body type and the grip sticks out so obviously that it is embarrassing.

I'm just saying that there are a lot of folks who think that just because they have a piece of cloth of some kind between the outside world and their gun, no one will ever try to grab it or see it and call the police on them. And that is foolish.
    Sticks likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I have seen people get out of their car and pull their pants up by placing their hand on the under side of the holster and pull up through their cover garment.
    I just grab my belt for the twist and pull.
    I have seen people habitually and subconsciously touch their gun as if to reassure them that it is still there.
    stopped that after my first week.
    I have seen people reach up to a top shelf with their strong side arm and completely expose the gun.
    stopped wearing those shirts after the first time.
    I have seen people who's cover garment has gotten tucked behind the grip of their gun and they were completely clueless about this.
    Been there, done that - try keeping your shirt tucked in after crawling in/on/under a piece of equipment with the occasional hanging upside down all while lugging tools and a 95# part. Happens more than I prefer. I just make sure my exit side is spectator free.
    I have seen many concealed carriers go through a store completely oblivious to the fact that they are printing to the point that they may as well be open carrying.
    And I have seen people with obvious bulges that could be nothing other than a gun and when I watched them long enough they either gave away the fact that it was a gun or I caught a glimpse of it.

In my experience, I would estimate that 80% of concealed carriers tend to think that they are completely under the radar and no one could possibly know that they have a gun on. As a result, their situational awareness is crap, pure and simple. I have watched people walk right up behind them in stores and they didn't realize anyone was there until they bumped into the person.

And I can tell you this, if I am spotting these people who are carrying "concealed" then I assure you the professional criminals out there, like the gang members who actually are very good at profiling people for who may have a gun, are spotting more of them than I am.

Let's face it people, there are a lot of people out there carrying who have exactly no training at all except what they see on TV and that is less than no training in my book. I think it would be fair to say that we all either know someone or have met someone who we think probably shouldn't be carrying for one reason or another. It's these people who have little or no understanding of what situational awareness is. They carry a big gun OWB with just a T-shirt over it and print like crazy. Or they carry in the wrong position for their body type and the grip sticks out so obviously that it is embarrassing.

I'm just saying that there are a lot of folks who think that just because they have a piece of cloth of some kind between the outside world and their gun, no one will ever try to grab it or see it and call the police on them. And that is foolish.
    Daily mirror checks before you go out the door, adjust wardrobe to method of carry, and a little faith in the $100 holster you bought....but if you are OC, who cares.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I can and I will. I am fairly good at spotting people who CC and think no one knows.

Geez Mike, you must be Superman (x-ray vision) and Kreskin (ESP), all rolled into one.

"I am fairly good at spotting people who CC and think no one knows." Really? You know what they're "thinking"?

"I have seen people habitually and subconsciously touch their gun as if to reassure them that it is still there." "Habitually"? What, are you stalking them? "Subconsciously"? Wow, you're into their subconscious too?

"I have seen people who's cover garment has gotten tucked behind the grip of their gun and they were completely clueless about this." How do/did you know that this wasn't what they intended to do? i.e. "semi"-OC.

Your implication that CC-ers have less training, are (situationally) unaware, print "like crazy", are "foolish", etc., etc. is a bit over-stated, IMO. MY observations/experience is that the CC-er's who I know are quite the opposite.

80%, eh? Huh...how'd you come up with that figure? Then in your estimation, there are only 20% of CC-ers you have not been able to detect who are carrying? Is it be possible that you're only able to detect 20% of (sloppy) CC-ers, and not the other (careful) 80%?
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Years ago, in a faraway time and place where OC was legal, not once when I did so was: A: A MWAG call placed; B: an attempt made to take my firearm; C. I singled out to be shot first in a robbery attempt; D. I accousted by any LEOs.

Maybe the sight of a firearm made people leave me alone, and that's fine with me.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Im a newbie..but do many people cc while not minding if they print or occasionally expose the holster??

sent from my EVO , with Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Im a newbie..but do many people cc while not minding if they print or occasionally expose the holster??

sent from my EVO , with Tapatalk
    OOOHHHHH, great question! And here is the best answer I've got. The folks that don't have to worry about printing or exposing, get ready for it, wait, just a bit longer, this is too good; generally live in states where OC is legal. Therefore, in at least one very important issue, OC makes CC easier.

The two states that come to mind for printing issues are TX and FL. IIRC, FL addressed it this year. Not sure of TX. But OC is illegal in both.

Therefore, if OC is legal then printing while CC is a non issue. Which is why I don't sweat it too much in NC.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Straight to the point thread, I like it..
    Thunder71 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rgbiker View Post
    Some 400 AZCDL members attended an OC luncheon Saturday afternoon in Tucson. That's 400 people, most were carrying a LOADED handgun.
    And in the next door convention room was a large gathering of jewelry vendors and customers. Several wandered over to check us out.

Not one handgun was seen jumping out of a holster to begin attack bystanders.

The Police/SWAT was not called, no soccer moms ran out screaming and no children were traumatized by the sight of a loaded gun. Yes, there were children there and CPS did not arrive to scoop them up and file charges on their parents.

'cause this ain't California.
    God I love Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Nothing happened.
    Nothing that you know of. Unknown to you, your OC caused the loss of a baseball game in a stadium over 100 miles away.

The reflection from your gun scared a butterfly, causing his wings to beat faster. The wind currents from this upset a bird in flight. The upset bird swerved, causing the hunter to miss. His birdshot fell on a jack rabbit which bolted past a coyote.

The coyote ran onto the highway. A blonde wearing a miniskirt and driving a convertible swerved to miss the coyote and blew a tire.

The blonde, While changing the tire distracted the driver of a truck full of chickens, causing a crash that sent chickens and feathers everywhere.

This backed up the highway for 5 miles on both sides.

A bus carrying a baseball team on the way to a championship game was delayed by the traffic jam and missed the start of the game, causing a loss by forfeiture.

Some people have too much time on their hands an an overactive imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by steelhawk View Post
    Nothing that you know of. Unknown to you, your OC caused the loss of a baseball game in a stadium over 100 miles away.

The reflection from your gun scared a butterfly, causing his wings to beat faster. The wind currents from this upset a bird in flight. The upset bird swerved, causing the hunter to miss. His birdshot fell on a jack rabbit which bolted past a coyote.

The coyote ran onto the highway. A blonde wearing a miniskirt and driving a convertible swerved to miss the coyote and blew a tire.

The blonde, While changing the tire distracted the driver of a truck full of chickens, causing a crash that sent chickens and feathers everywhere.

This backed up the highway for 5 miles on both sides.

A bus carrying a baseball team on the way to a championship game was delayed by the traffic jam and missed the start of the game, causing a loss by forfeiture.

Some people have too much time on their hands an an overactive imagination.
    Ah, I see you have come across a weepy eyed California liberal who upon seeing your OC began his question with: "What if................................."?

Quote Originally Posted by rgbiker View Post
    Ah, I see you have come across a weepy eyed California liberal who upon seeing your OC began his question with: "What if................................."?
    I lived in Kalifornia for 25 years. I left it 25 years ago and will never move back. I knew lots of liberal idiots. Fortunately I was immune to the disease.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links