Open Carried Today And.....

This is a discussion on Open Carried Today And..... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nothing happened....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Open Carried Today And.....

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

Nothing happened.

***!?!

So did I.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Impossible!!!!!
    TN_Mike likes this.

i also did it -- in Arizona. OC into several businesses (no places that serve alcohol) and nothing happened.

Nothing, naught, none, zero, squat, nada, zilch, nix....

I love Arizona.

Inconceiveable!!!!!!!!!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Read an article by Ayoob recently where he talked about open carry. He cited two instances where people who open carried had somebody falsely call in that they had been threatened by a man with a gun. Neither instance actually happened. Somebody just wanted to cause somebody some grief, saw the gun, and made the call.

Just something to keep in mind as you are open carrying.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Inconceiveable!!!!!!!!!
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Read an article by Ayoob recently where he talked about open carry. He cited two instances where people who open carried had somebody falsely call in that they had been threatened by a man with a gun. Neither instance actually happened. Somebody just wanted to cause somebody some grief, saw the gun, and made the call.

Just something to keep in mind as you are open carrying.
    Your post seems to insinuate that such a thing could NEVER happen to someone who is concealing a gun. But I assure you, some anti-gun jackass would be just as likely to call the police and report you doing the same thing if they figure out you have a gun on as they would be to do such a thing to an open carrier. Something for YOU to think about as well.

Why do those of you who disagree with open carry even come onto this part of the site and try to enlighten us poor dumb open carriers? You guys think that because you have a piece of cloth covering your gun no one will ever know. I spot CCW folks all the time. Open carry makes you much more aware of your surroundings, CCW, in my observations, tends to make people complacent.
    Anubis, nerdyvirgin and archer51 like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Your post seems to insinuate that such a thing could NEVER happen to someone who is concealing a gun. But I assure you, some anti-gun jackass would be just as likely to call the police and report you doing the same thing if they figure out you have a gun on as they would be to do such a thing to an open carrier. Something for YOU to think about as well.

Why do those of you who disagree with open carry even come onto this part of the site and try to enlighten us poor dumb open carriers? You guys think that because you have a piece of cloth covering your gun no one will ever know. I spot CCW folks all the time. Open carry makes you much more aware of your surroundings, CCW, in my observations, tends to make people complacent.
    I wasn't trying to insinuate anything and I frankly don't care whether you open carry or not. I was merely relaying what I had read and said that it might be food for thought. Actually, Ayoob's comments were referring to the virtues of carrying concealed even while you are in your own home.

Open carry all you want. Best of luck to you. Since you already know everything, I'll just keep quiet.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Open carry makes you much more aware of your surroundings, CCW, in my observations, tends to make people complacent.
    I think what you meant to say was that "OC makes ME much more aware of MY surroundings"...I'm not sure if you can/should speak for the whole OC crowd.

Could you please elaborate on your CC "tends to make people complacent" statement.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

I generally pay more attention when I OC as well. As few instances of the dreaded gun grab as there have been, it's still something you keep in the back of your mind. If I am in a store and there are folks around, I'll use the cart, shelves, merchandise or other things as a barrier between them and my firearm if possible. I pay a bit more attention to who's around, where they are, what they are doing.

If I don't feel like doing that, I CC. I find that I am not as worried about people in my space when I am CC'ing. Simply because they are unaware I am armed and it takes that away as a concern. I don't attempt to maintain some big personal space safety bubble from everyone. I may try to maintain space from people I consider sketchy. But most folks I'm OK with them being closer when I CC.

That seems to make 2 of us with this experience. Which is statistically still insignificant, but there you go.

My wife is one of the few people that can be "on" nearly 100% of the time. Here SA is somewhere between ninja and jedi master. She has the ability to read people at about the same level. It's a well honed gift that was the result of a less than wonderful childhood. It's so deeply ingrained that it is not turned on or off, it's just the way she is. Pretty amazing really. I wrote a pretty good post about it a while back. For most of us mortals though, it comes and goes, even if we don't want to admit it. If my brain worked like that, I would likely go absolutely insane.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    TN_Mike I enjoy all parts of the site, I come to the OC section not to enlighten "you people" but to maybe learn something myself. I was a cop for a long, long time so OC to me was just another day at the office.

I think that much of the negativity, if that is the right word, comes from the posts, videos, and so on of those attempting to educate, get in conflict with LE, or for plain ole shock value. We very seldom hear of things when they dont happen or when there is a good encounter with LE. Even the famous Oceanside video had some negative LE comments in it and I thought that was pretty much textbook.
    All my time in LE I stopped people with firearms in their vehicle, on their person, concealed, open and so on. In Arkansas it was no big deal. OC is not legal however Billy Joe Farmer with a .22 pistol on his belt at the coffee shop was not a major issue in my city anyways, now if he went to Little Rock to wally world different story but anyways.

My thing is and has always been incidents with OCers and LE always seem to occur in a state where there is no specific law relating to it. YES I know it is a 2nd Amendment right and so on but the fact is whenever there are problems it is in a state that has no law about it and folks carry just because they can so to speak.
    I am not against OC go for it, raise your level of SA and carry on.

Just an opinion
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Inconceiveable!!!!!!!!!
    inconceivable-1.jpg

Gotta love that guy!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Congratulations!! I envy you.

I'm starting a pool for how long it will take for me to get MWAG'd tomorrow. Slots will be in fifteen minuet increments starting at 0800. $5 buy in.

Errand running will start with trip to the grocery for toothpaste and tooth brush, then to the Verizon store for a new car charger, Walmart for ammo, gas station to fill up my truck, a 1 hour stop at a gun range (to shoot said ammo), Sams Club for my work food, then Home Depot for a few odds and ends for the "Honey-Do" list, then back home to do said "Honey-Do" list which entails yard work in your basic square block neighborhood (not a rat maze), with neighbors from MD, IL, and OH. All places are not posted, and all are in OC legal areas (CO does allow municipalities to regulate OC).

Post your time slot, then I'll post when I get tagged. Send your money to the winner. I'll abstain from buying a slot, as I would be accused of "fixing".

$1 side slots (no limit) for which retail establishment I get ejected from - Caution, you will need to pay each person that selected the retail establishment.

If I don't get tagged, all participants to send $$ to RMGO (Colorado gun advocate org.)

gods I wish CO was not so flooded with anti gun state transplants.

J/K...no pool..yet.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Do NOT try that in Philly!!. It`l be very UGLY.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links