Met the new neighbor, while Open Carrying....

This is a discussion on Met the new neighbor, while Open Carrying.... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just about 45 minutes ago (5:15pm, Saturday Oct. 1st). I had gone out to clean out the garage one last time before winter sets in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Met the new neighbor, while Open Carrying....

Just about 45 minutes ago (5:15pm, Saturday Oct. 1st).

I had gone out to clean out the garage one last time before winter sets in here in central Indiana. (To us winter is any time the temperature goes below 50 and stays there ) and after moving the cars out and sweeping the garage and straightening everything up I decided to go a head and clean out the cars and check the tire pressure on my Cherokee and my wife's car. I was open carrying the Glock 23 while doing this. Nearly everyone, except for one or two notable people in our subdivision and in fact, the whole town, are gun owners and most carry so it wasn't like this is a big deal.

While topping off the tires on my wife's car, the new neighbor across the street came out to his truck that was parked on the street on his side but more or less right across from our driveway. They moved in about 3 weeks ago and work and other things have simply gotten in the way of me introducing myself to them and saying hello.

We nodded at each other and almost like there was a shared mental decision we walked out to the middle of the street and shook hands and introduced ourselves to each other. Talked for a few minutes about what we did for a living and how we each liked the town and neighborhood. Then he said he hated to cut it short but he and his wife were on the way to the Toby Keith concert in Indy and they were about to leave. I wished him a fun evening and the last thing he said to me was, "Nice pistol, we'll have to go shooting sometime and compare collections."

A pretty good experience meeting the new guy on the block.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    We nodded at each other and almost like there was a shared mental decision we walked out to the middle of the street
    Why did a old Western movie scene just pop in my head?

Sounds like you have a good new neighbor.
    ccman likes this.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post

I pictured a big tumbleweed slowly blowing by...
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trainercb View Post
    lmao
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Sounds like you have a good new neighbor there, better then the crazy one I got.
    oneshot likes this.

Great to know that somebody has got your back.

What, oh my Lord, you've got guns!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

bubbiesdad, I think I laughed for the entire 2:56 of that video. thanks for making my night
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Glad to hear this Mike. I know you don't care for Indiana but it looks there are at least a few good people up there!

Neighbors being neighborly.......as American as, well, a day shooting at the range.
    TN_Mike and gorilla45 like this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

bubbiesdad, I think I laughed for the entire 2:56 of that video. thanks for making my night
    The classic line from that movie: "If you're gonna' shoot - shoot, don't talk". -- Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    Glad to hear this Mike. I know you don't care for Indiana but it looks there are at least a few good people up there!
    Yeah, I still don't like Indiana but, there are a couple of things about it that are OK.
    1. There aren't too many liberal anti-gun nut jobs once you get out of Indianapolis, and really, they are outnumbered there by about 3 to 1.
    2. Out in the surrounding countryside there are a lot of people with guns out here. And I mean alot.
    3. The Indiana War Memorial is amazing and in all honesty, breathtaking. Indiana is a very patriotic state, even if it did fight for the wrong side in the Civil War.

There are far too many cons to mention but one of the biggest is that winter is on the horizon. And this year is supposed to be a bad one.

How's life in Florida Orange?
    Last edited by TN_Mike; October 2nd, 2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: spelling
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Out in the surrounding countryside there are a lot of people with guns out here. And I mean alot.
    You should go shooting down south with my friends if you want "a lot" of guns!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post

How's like in Florida Orange?
    I can't complain. The weather is wonderful, taxes are low, and there is no shortage of things to do. I won't stay here forever but there are definitely far worse places to live.
    TN_Mike likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links