Open carried for the first time today while hunting

This is a discussion on Open carried for the first time today while hunting within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess technically I was open carrying two firearms...one 12ga shotguns I use for ducks...and my M&P with 2 full mags....two days ago while canoeing ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By natimage

Thread: Open carried for the first time today while hunting

I guess technically I was open carrying two firearms...one 12ga shotguns I use for ducks...and my M&P with 2 full mags....two days ago while canoeing out of my duck hunting spot two very large and aggressive looking dogs jumped in the river and started coming after me...I had my shotgun still loaded and handy but my first priority was paddling quicker. Luckily the owner who was up working in her yard saw them and called them back but it got me thinking...the 3 shells in my shotgun may/may not be enough to take out two dogs...or worse an angry dog owner after dropping the dogs (I LOVE dogs so of course I would never shoot unless they were going to attack me and it should go without saying I wouldn't ever point my firearm at any human unless they posed an immediate threat to my life). And the shotgun is so slow to reload...so I took one of my IWB holsters and snapped it on top of my blind bag, locked and loaded...then one spare mag. It made me feel a little more comfortable though...and thank God the only gun I used was my shotgun which just scared the only duck to come close enough this morning. All in all I'm glad a couple days ago the dogs were called off but because of that I feel I'm more prepared.
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

One of the reasons I like OC for hiking and/or hunting is that I usually have some much other junk it makes it hard to get to if concealed. Jackets, layers, backpacks, and other assorted gear seem to always be in the way. I don't have to worry about digging for it if I need it.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Been doing this for years out here in Washington. Nobody hardly ever batted an eye. I OC while camping, hiking, just moving about in the wilds.

When I go turkey hunting here in Nebraska, you never know what you may come upon... or what might be coming up on you? Bobcats, farmdogs even pumas. oh my!

I always OC while hunting, fishing, hiking, biking ect...you just never know. I've been wanting a 357 revolver, but for now I carry my 45 or 9...

OCing in Wisconsin while hunting has been mandatory. It's not a big deal to see people with firearms in the woods. Mostly with shotguns or rifles, but handguns are becoming more prevalent as the wolf population has gone up, and people growing marijuana out in the middle of nowhere has gotten more common in public lands.

A little protection never hurts.

People growing Marijuana in open state parks just blows my mind. People nowadays fear nothing.
    One more step and it's on!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dripster View Post
    People growing Marijuana in open state parks just blows my mind. People nowadays fear nothing.
    I dual sport motorcycle, where the object is to get as far off the beaten path as possible... the storys I can tell.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I dual sport motorcycle, where the object is to get as far off the beaten path as possible... the storys I can tell.
    I grew up in western Pennsylvania, so I can imagine a few of them. Just when you think you have seen it all.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by natimage View Post
    I guess technically I was open carrying two firearms...one 12ga shotguns I use for ducks...and my M&P with 2 full mags....two days ago while canoeing out of my duck hunting spot two very large and aggressive looking dogs jumped in the river and started coming after me...I had my shotgun still loaded and handy but my first priority was paddling quicker. Luckily the owner who was up working in her yard saw them and called them back but it got me thinking...the 3 shells in my shotgun may/may not be enough to take out two dogs...or worse an angry dog owner after dropping the dogs (I LOVE dogs so of course I would never shoot unless they were going to attack me and it should go without saying I wouldn't ever point my firearm at any human unless they posed an immediate threat to my life). And the shotgun is so slow to reload...so I took one of my IWB holsters and snapped it on top of my blind bag, locked and loaded...then one spare mag. It made me feel a little more comfortable though...and thank God the only gun I used was my shotgun which just scared the only duck to come close enough this morning. All in all I'm glad a couple days ago the dogs were called off but because of that I feel I'm more prepared.
    Federal Warden and most likely a state one will arrest you {cite you] and maybe confiscate your hand gun for unplugged gun, gun not appropriate for duck hunting, and possibility toxic ammo or unapproved non toxic ammo.
    Doesn't matter what you intend to shoot ducks with, the other gun or ammo in your possession while hunting counts, or boating to/from your hunt..

^^ You bring up a good point, I just called our WI DNR though and spoke to a warden regarding this. Since I am not harvesting the ducks with said handgun it is legal (in Wisconsin at least). The law says you cannot possess lead "shot", by definition the a .40 caliber bullet isn't "shot". Much like you can possess a handgun while bowhunting even though it is illegal for you to use that handgun to harvest a deer. Same principle.
    CommonMan101 likes this.
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

Wisconsin is pretty forward thinking with that line of legality. The one exception you may want to make is a .22 while bowhunting. Apparently many have shot deer illegally with a .22 and tried to pass it off as a bow kill. You could get hassled some if a warden catches you with that combination.

Links