Calif. gov. enacts ban on open handgun carrying

This is a discussion on Calif. gov. enacts ban on open handgun carrying within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am not a big fan of open carry, but this is infringement. I saw that another thread was active about the legislation being brought ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Calif. gov. enacts ban on open handgun carrying

I am not a big fan of open carry, but this is infringement. I saw that another thread was active about the legislation being brought up, but did not see one that stated that it was enacted.

Calif. gov. enacts ban on open handgun carrying - Yahoo! News

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Gov. Jerry Brown's says he has signed a measure that bans the open carrying of handguns in California.
    The law, AB144, makes it a misdemeanor to carry an exposed and unloaded gun in a public place.
    The governor's office made the announcement in a statement early Monday morning. Brown has been rushing to sign dozens of measures sent to him by lawmakers.
    Top California law enforcement officials supported the legislation.
    The Los Angeles Times reports that Brown said he had "listened to the police chiefs."
    Supporters say the only person who knows whether the gun is loaded is the person carrying the gun. Opponents say the bill is one of many assaults on the public's Second Amendment rights.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Ive been to Cali once to go to the Army's National Training Center. I don't believe I can ever come up with a good reason to ever go back without being forced to by the government.
    baren and Bkrazy like this.

GM
    I am not surprised, we are talking about California and Governor Jerry Brown.

BTW, that was not the only firearms related bill that have been presented to him for his consideration; excerpt from the NRA’s website, NRA-ILA :: California Governor Has Four Anti-Gun Bills to Consider and Time is Running out to Request His Veto

Assembly Bill 809 would require the registration of any newly purchased long guns. Not only does AB 809 violate Second Amendment rights by expanding California’s gun registry to include rifles and shotguns, it would also be a huge waste of taxpayer money at a time when California is drowning in debt. Gun control advocates estimate the cost of this registration at $400,000, a number that is almost certainly far less than it will actually cost to implement and enforce this registry if enacted. The only value of registration is to help governments confiscate firearms in the future. This is also NOT a program California wants to start while the state is drowning in debt.

Senate Bill 427 would grant authority to law enforcement to collect sales records from ammunition retailers, require ammunition vendors to notify local law enforcement of their intention to engage in the business of selling ammunition AND includes a list of calibers which would have to be registered to purchasers at the point-of-purchase. This list contains ammunition popular among hunters and collectors. This point-of-sale registration of all ammunition purchases in the state would be available for inspection by the California Department of Justice at any time. If enacted, SB 427 would add significant costs to the state, in terms of enforcement and lost sales tax revenue by driving business out-of-state.

Senate Bill 819 would allow the Department of Justice to use the Dealer Record of Sales (DROS) funds to help pay for enforcement of California firearm possession laws in the Armed & Prohibited Persons Systems program. The DROS fund monies were originally collected from every firearm purchaser to pay for the administrative process for background checks. This bill will divert and drain hundreds of thousands of dollars of DROS fee monies that YOU have paid for background checks. As a result, the DROS fund will certainly run out of money. When it does, they will almost certainly want another increase in the fees YOU PAY for FIREARM background checks in California.

Assembly Bill 144
    would ban the open carrying of an unloaded handgun. In reality, the open carrying of firearms by law-abiding citizens is caused by California’s unfair concealed carry laws, which allow citizens from one county to apply for and receive a permit while neighbors in the next county are denied that basic right in an arbitrary manner.

Senate Bill 610
    would standardize the application process for a permit to carry a concealed handgun. SB 610 would also delete the requirement that a CCW applicant obtain liability insurance as a condition of obtaining a CCW permit.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Not really a great loss though, it was only the privilege to carry an unloaded (empty) weapon.
    It appears that this state has now been completely surrendered to the "anti's".
    Nothing left for gun owners but escape...
    Spec and bgriffin70 like this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well, maybe all of the BG's in the Country will head west for a more secure work environment!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senate Bill 610 would standardize the application process for a permit to carry a concealed handgun. SB 610 would also delete the requirement that a CCW applicant obtain liability insurance as a condition of obtaining a CCW permit.
    Anyone want to bet that Moonbeam will sign this one? :)
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

VIP Member
    It should be interesting to see what happens with this ruling, now that CA has blown his reasoning for his decision out of the water.

Federal Judge Rules Against Calif. Gun Advocates | Fox News
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    As some of you know, I grew up in SoCal and became a peace officer during the 70's. I really miss a lot of the California dynamic although it has clearly gone to... Today, I still enjoy a trip to San Diego for shopping, dining and walking the beach cities. Still, their culture comes with a heavy price in more ways than I can count.

This latest gun carry restriction certainly doesn't surprise me. Criminals have more rights and protections than citizens who become victims. Aside from that, the weather is great!
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    Unintended consequences:

This will fuel the fight for shall issue by bolstering an infringement argument.
    nerdyvirgin likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Well, maybe all of the BG's in the Country will head west for a more secure work environment!
    That is a very good idea
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    Ive been to Cali once to go to the Army's National Training Center. I don't believe I can ever come up with a good reason to ever go back without being forced to by the government.
    Amazing weather, beautiful beaches, incredible mountains, some of the most beautiful women in the country, great fishing, Hollywood, Santa Monica, etc, etc, etc
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Amazing weather, beautiful beaches, incredible mountains, some of the most beautiful women in the country, great fishing, Hollywood, Santa Monica, etc, etc, etc
    So true. I was stationed on YBI (right in the middle of the Bay bridge). It's a shame that so much beautiful real estate is encumbered by such idjits. I likely will never go back.

cj
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Unintended consequences:

This will fuel the fight for shall issue by bolstering an infringement argument.
    This was my thought too...they can no longer claim they're not infringing because xyz is legal. This seems typical of this type of lawmaker though...not understanding that every decision has consequences. Limiting banks charging transaction fees? They just find someone else to charge. Limit firearms to such an extent that they're tromping on the constitution? See what happened in D.C.

Well, I wrote about this today. It's likely to get someone fired up enough to go for a lawsuit, but that's speculation at this point./

Gov. Brown signs open carry ban in CA; Washington has protections

Gov. Brown signs open carry ban in CA; Washington has protections - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Come on earthquake!
    Riana and Spec like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links