OC deters robbery.....Uh oh.

This is a discussion on OC deters robbery.....Uh oh. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by joker1 I've never OC'd, I have CC'd. I could see good and bad for both. I agree with the possibility of a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: OC deters robbery.....Uh oh.

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    I've never OC'd, I have CC'd. I could see good and bad for both.
    I agree with the possibility of a gun grab with OC, which is why OC would be a bad idea in crowd. Someone OCing must be extra aware of who is behind them at all times, CC not so much.
    There are so many ways to protect a gun while OC on your hip, that only someone very stupid and who's not keeping aware of those around them, would have that potentially happen. I never let anyone be close "behind me" under any circumstances, no matter what I'm carring , how I'm carrying or not.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    There are so many ways to protect a gun while OC on your hip, that only someone very stupid and who's not keeping aware of those around them, would have that potentially happen. I never let anyone be close "behind me" under any circumstances, no matter what I'm carring , how I'm carrying or not.
    Would you recommend one of those Blackhawk Serpa or Galco holsters that "lock" in your gun to the holster when you OC? They release with a finger lever upon drawing. Would it help prevent someone from grabbing it out of your holster in a moment you didn't see someone? Some day I would like to OC but I'm chicken.
    Carpe Diem

The type of holster you choose, would be at least somewhat influenced by your perceived ability to thwart an attempted gun grab.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Very true Eagle, retention holsters are one way and it would be common sense to OC that way.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Uniformed LEO's use Level II & III retention holsters for the very fact that they are carrying an openly displayed firearm. If I were to OC (which I don't), I would likely use a retention holster. I am also trained in the Lindell method of weapon retention and disarming.

I'm not opposed to open carry in the least. I'm actually all for it. It's just not my forte'.

My only warning is for those who do open carry, but either don't use a retention holster and/or have no training in weapon retention may end up on the short end of the stick in a struggle. But then again, that's their decision, is it not? It certainly is no one else's fault if they are not forward thinking enough to foresee a situation where they could lose their weapon in a struggle.

There's no way of predicting how your encounter is going to play out. There's no way to know in advance if you will end up in a struggle over your weapon.

But as far as open carry goes, yeah, I'm all for it.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by DAO.Diva View Post
    Would you recommend one of those Blackhawk Serpa or Galco holsters that "lock" in your gun to the holster when you OC? They release with a finger lever upon drawing. Would it help prevent someone from grabbing it out of your holster in a moment you didn't see someone? Some day I would like to OC but I'm chicken.

I use a SERPA, I like it. Some don't. You hear all kinds of junk talked about them, but I have had no problems. You do need to practice drawing from it though. I have missed the button before, and while that yank on your pants isn't a problem practicing it would be one if you need the firearm. One thing I really like is it really trained me to draw with the finger resting on the frame. If you need to shoot, it will find it's way to the trigger quick enough. But having it go to the frame first helps you to not shoot yourself. As far as disarming, if someone is practiced at disarming that holster it's surprisingly fast to defeat it. I had a NCHP officer disarm at an accident. He had no problems getting past the button. Of course, that was without a struggle.

When I OC I tend to keep my elbow locked pretty tight to the gun. And I pay more attention to folks around me.

I see you are in VA. I believe some of the VA folks get together occasionally for OC meet and greets. Maybe check around and see if one is in your area. You could probably find out over at OCDO. Check the VA page.

OCDO
    Firearm.Fan.Girl and TN_Mike like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I use a Uncle Mike's Pro-3 triple retention duty holster when I OC and I have weapon retention training.
    Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.

VIP Member
    As has been stated and implied by others, the holster you choose is merely another tool. You still have to have increased SA and be more conscious of those around you since they can see that you have a holstered weapon.

Should you OC and someone decides they want the shiny thing on your belt you better have the knowledge, skill and intestinal fortitude to defend it hand to hand, up close and personal or as Bark'n said you may end up on the short end of the stick.

Remember guys and gals wherever you travel, every store you go into, every restaurant you eat in there is always a gun present.....yours. It is your responsibility to yourself and everyone around you to make sure you know how to use it and defend it.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

The original incident posted here might be a good thing. Does it make me want to OC, no. One thing very few point out is that if you do choose to OC, someone may lie and say you threatened them with your gun. Now it is your word against theirs and good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    The original incident posted here might be a good thing. Does it make me want to OC, no. One thing very few point out is that if you do choose to OC, someone may lie and say you threatened them with your gun. Now it is your word against theirs and good luck with that.
    Seeing how I just got into a version of this. The LEO refused to listen to her. It may have helped that we called on her trespassing too. Not every LEO thinks guns are bad. He told my wife the the lady was "..really hung up on that gun thing." He could have cared less.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    One thing very few point out is that if you do choose to OC, someone may lie and say you threatened them with your gun. Now it is your word against theirs and good luck with that.
    Which is why you always carry your digital audio and/or video recorder and always have it recording when you are out and about. It should be part of your standard carry gear along with the holster and spare mag. There's no reason for "he-said-she-said" in this day and age. Have the recording speak for you.

Quote Originally Posted by yale View Post
    Which is why you always carry your digital audio and/or video recorder and always have it recording when you are out and about. It should be part of your standard carry gear along with the holster and spare mag. There's no reason for "he-said-she-said" in this day and age. Have the recording speak for you.
    If you carry a weapon I think your focus should be on defense, not a video cam. Otherwise, hide the dam gun.
    Guantes, tacman605 and smolck like this.

VIP Member

Yes this

and this

along with your shoephone will most definately protect you more than common sense, good SA, sound tactics and good equipment.

So in the event of a self defense situation do you draw first or turn on the recording devices?
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post

Yes this

and this

along with your shoephone will most definately protect you more than common sense, good SA, sound tactics and good equipment.

So in the event of a self defense situation do you draw first or turn on the recording devices?
    You forgot one thing...The man purse to carry all this crap in. LOL

VIP Member
    Harryball never a man purse how dare you. A tactical audio, video concealment rig or a news crew whichever you prefer.
    Harryball likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links