OC deters robbery.....Uh oh.

This is a discussion on OC deters robbery.....Uh oh. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really dont advocate OC or CC and I do both as the situation dictates. I know I have seen other threads that say that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: OC deters robbery.....Uh oh.

OC deters robbery.....Uh oh.

I really dont advocate OC or CC and I do both as the situation dictates. I know I have seen other threads that say that OC will get you targeted and it serves no purpose. There seems to be situations where it does prevent crime and the stats are rising. Just food for thought for those so opposed to OC.

OC may have prevented a crime/LEO encounter.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    I really dont advocate OC or CC and I do both as the situation dictates. I know I have seen other threads that say that OC will get you targeted and it serves no purpose. There seems to be situations where it does prevent crime and the stats are rising. Just food for thought for those so opposed to OC.

OC may have prevented a crime/LEO encounter.
    Very nice story. I had to read it twice before I fully understood exactly what transpired. I think this is a perfect example of where OC works. Now, I know there are people that say OC would make a person a target. And I don't deny that as a possibility. But from what I've seen, most of your typical thugs are looking for easy targets. I mean, sure, they may be below average IQ, but they aren't dumb enough to not realize the threat of another armed citizen.

I might also point out that had this armed citizen had his firearm concealed that it is very possible some people could have ended up being shot/injured. By showing everyone his cards up front, the thugs decided it wasn't worth their time. Sure, they'll probably go find a different place to rob, or even come back and rob that one later when the citizen is not there. But, that doesn't change the fact that it prevented anything from going down while this guy was there.

If thugs believed that every time they wanted to rob some place that they would have to go in guns shooting (in both directions) you can bet most of them would find a different career. And in this case, the thugs knew exactly that was going to happen. Sure, they could have targeted the armed guy first and hope to take him out. But what if they miss? What if the armed guy gets a chance to shoot back? They obviously decided it just wasn't worth it.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

I saw this one come up on the local boards a while back.

The problem is for every story there is like this someone can point to a story where so and so tried to grab a gun. And it's all anecdotal, and there's no statistic to prove what it is one way or the other, and it results in lots of theory being sent back and forth with little to no actual data. And even then it's harder to come by data that accounts for the actions of the carrier themselves, and you can't really ever say what would have happened, only what could have in our imaginations (sometimes stretched but often times not). I like to deal in facts and neither philosophy has conclusively offered that for me; now both are certainly quite plausible; but for now I'm sticking to yes I do OC on occasion, and it is certainly more visible and there's times where it's easier or more comfortable; and there's times where concealing can make life easier for me all around.

My two pennies.
    Bark'n likes this.

Glock Certified Armorer

VIP Member
    Canav844 stated it well.

There is anecdotal evidence for just about anything. It's just a data point.

I'm not against OC, I just prefer the concealed advantage. I can tell you, that if I robbed and hurt people for a living, I'd size you up based on who you are and not what you had strapped to your hip.
    Bark'n likes this.

This is why we all need to quit bickering about it and just:

Carry what we shoot well, and do it how we are comfortable (based on local laws).

I do both, I have no problems with either.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post

Carry what we shoot well, and do it how we are comfortable (based on local laws).

+1

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.377542,-86.474286

++2

One night late I was at a store, and walking out to my car. 3 guys seemed to be "scoping" out and walking the parking lot, wearing hoodies, etc. They saw me and started working my way..... and one got right in my path..... and I didn't back off my path at all, he could just get out of my way. A good typical victim will get out of the way.

Anyway, he goes by very close and nods to the other 2. As he gets up to them (they were turning around to come my direction) , one of them says "no no no, I think he's carrying a gun" . They quickened their pace in a direction away from me.
    Were they scoping me out, you bet.

I have no doubts the above guy forted a robbery, and that's all a good thing.

But, it also tells us something else, the BG's are now looking for "armed citizens" .... they are getting wiser about picking their place and time. Now, if I had a business..... I would want people walking into my business carrying.
    joker1 and Bark'n like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

AMEN!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Nice straight up and down Kydex holster, strong side, good belt, spare magazine on off side, and a Sure Fire light, in mag pouch. It just screams >>>> PRO Carry! Is he a Cop? A whatever, but not some wee small pistol. The Glock 19 that goes every were I go, but no open carry in Florida, if we did, I would.

If I were goin OC, it would be a shiny gun with some purty grips.
    SFury, wmhawth and CommonMan101 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

If you are going to OC, you might as well OC something that sticks out if you've got it.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    If I were goin OC, it would be a shiny gun with some purty grips.
    Now how are you gonna put purty grips on a chromed GLOCK, oh wait you must be thinkin' wheel gun....
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I've never OC'd, I have CC'd. I could see good and bad for both.

This situation was a great example of OC being a deterrent. The OC'er was outside with very few people around and was in the right place at the right time. The potential BG saw the gun and made a rare wise decision. A crime prevented is not really a crime and unfortuanely the 3 BG's left the area with their freedom intact, which is still better than a robbery going down, the OC'er possibly getting involved and someone getting hurt or worse. Now if our hero was CCing and the robbery went down as planned he may or may not have been able to do anything to stop the robbery or to prevent innocents from being hurt.

I agree with the possibility of a gun grab with OC, which is why OC would be a bad idea in crowd. Someone OCing must be extra aware of who is behind them at all times, CC not so much.

OC could be considered a warning label, CC is what generates future warning lables.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I carry both ways, when I CC I make sure I can hide it well, when I OC I make damn sure it stick out. Stainless Sig 226 for OC and a J-frame smith for CC. I could go either way, what ever floats my boat for the day to be honest!
    2nd Amendment, the one that protects the rest!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links