Any areas in TN, KY, or GA where open carry is required?

This is a discussion on Any areas in TN, KY, or GA where open carry is required? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll be traveling next week through Georgia, and Tennessee to Kentucky. I think I've got all the details sorted out thanks to Handgunlaw.us. I don't ...

Thread: Any areas in TN, KY, or GA where open carry is required?

Any areas in TN, KY, or GA where open carry is required?

I'll be traveling next week through Georgia, and Tennessee to Kentucky.

I think I've got all the details sorted out thanks to Handgunlaw.us. I don't have to inform in all three states, similar to here in FL. All the restricted areas are pretty much the same as my home state, as well as the no carry in the bar area of Chilis, Red Lobster, etc. The only difference that I'll have to keep an eye out for is that in Tennessee posted signs have the weight of law, unlike the other states and my home state.

My question is, are their any areas or situations that require open carry? I know Virginia had this issue awhile back with restaurant carry, even though that is fixed now.

Anything else I should be mindful of or sticky situations to watch out for?

Thanks.
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

2. Remove Ads

Be careful driving through the Atlanta area. The sheriff of Dekalb county has decided to take the position that, if questioned, you must be able to prove ownership of your weapon, or they will confiscate it for examination and testing. How stoopid is that? This is also the sheriff that is being sued by Georgia Carry and the NRA because he takes forever to issue Weapons Licenses. Dekalb county is on the east and northeast side of Atlanta, so as long as you don't get stopped there, you are good to go.

How many of us actually carry a copy of our bill of sale?
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Noted. Thanks for the heads up.
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

While Tennessee posting signs have the weight of law, the legislation does say that they have to be posted on every entrance and contain language similar to this

AS AUTHORIZED BY T.C.A. 39-17-1359, POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON POSTED PROPERTY OR IN A POSTED BUILDING IS PROHIBITED AND IS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE.

or they can have the international circle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of the item within the circle. Most of the places that I see posted use the circle and slash sign with "no firearms allowed per TCA 39-17-1359". Violation is a misdemeanor with a maximum $500 fine.

Have a safe trip and enjoy our state while you are here.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Current TN law from http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf

You can carry in restaurants and bars that serve alcohol as long as you are not consuming.
    Proud NRA member

If you plan to ho to a municipal park, check local laws (in TN). While state law allowed them to opt out and required posting, many cities opted out bit never posted signs as required.

Sent from my M865 using Tapatalk

Links