Open Carry In Florida

This is a discussion on Open Carry In Florida within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gunsnroses I know, but the fact that a fellow CC'r doesn't support another CC'r in his/her method of carry......really gets my panties ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Open Carry In Florida

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
    I know, but the fact that a fellow CC'r doesn't support another CC'r in his/her method of carry......really gets my panties in a wade!!!
    And I totally agree..I can admit it when I'm wrong without resorting to petty pot shots as we've seen in some posts in this thread.

I am somewhat curious though as to how someone gets their panties in a 'Wade.' ;-)
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    And I totally agree..I can admit it when I'm wrong without resorting to petty pot shots as we've seen in some posts in this thread.

I am somewhat curious though as to how someone gets their panties in a 'Wade.' ;-)
    Its easy to do when your auto spell thinks its smarter then you.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
    bigmacque likes this.

...."than" you.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
    bigmacque and OldVet like this.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Now you got me laughing .... not at you, hopefully with you.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

For those who while not opposed to OC but will not help to support it remember your rights are next.
    If there were a vote tomorrow to ban skydiving or mountain climbing I would be at the Polls as soon as they opened to vote against the ban. In my mind I would not be voting to support activities that I do not take part in. I would be voting to preserve the freedom to make the choice.

Michael
    gunsnroses likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    For those who while not opposed to OC but will not help to support it remember your rights are next.
    If there were a vote tomorrow to ban skydiving or mountain climbing I would be at the Polls as soon as they opened to vote against the ban. In my mind I would not be voting to support activities that I do not take part in. I would be voting to preserve the freedom to make the choice.

Michael
    ...and I would be doing the same exact thing as well.

I don't put any credence in the "troll." He's home comes from a hugely dysfunctional forum here in Florida (actually two) that I lurk from time to time. Defiantly not groups I would want to hang out with.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    I'm kind of glad it didn't allow open carry to tell you the truth.

Predominantly because I'd rather be concealed, but also because the sight of an openly carried gun can attract unwanted attention and create some interesting situations around people that are just not used to it.

I also happen to believe that the great State of Florida is shaped like an appendix for a reason. There's enough scum that runs away from the crap they've created up North and come running down I-75 or I-95, to dump out in our little appendix state, that open carry could quickly get out of hand.
    Hi i am new to the forum but have to agree with you all the crap that we are now facing here in florida is coming from people running from their problems up north
    tundra and OldVet like this.

Maybe some of you have seen this thread and video...imagine if the guy in the video open carried? It's bad enough he has a gun!
    I'm finally convinced - Glocks are the safest guns on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by firemanjones View Post
    Maybe some of you have seen this thread and video...imagine if the guy in the video open carried? It's bad enough he has a gun!
    Wow....what a moron! The only reason I watched the whole thing is the expectation he'd shoot himself.

Interesting discussion. We have open carry in Wisconsin and the only problems we see are with the cops who oppose it even though it is legal. What I like about it is if I am carrying concealed and my shirt rides up and exposes my gun, I don't get busted for daring to show the evil thing.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I don't think I would open carry most of the time, but having the option to is nice. It should be left to the person. If they aren't harming anyone then what is the problem?
    carracer likes this.

Okay, the last post in this thread was over a year ago, but I just found the forum, so here I am. As a 60-year-old "newbie" in concealed carry, having received my Florida resident permit only a week ago (thanks for the incentive, PRESBO), I'm struggling with whether or not to carry open while I'm in Georgia. I spend a great deal of time in Georgia, which recognizes Florida's permit and allows open carry.

Even though OC is legal in Georgia, I have never seen anyone carrying open except: 1) LEOs, with a badge plainly visible on their chest or affixed to their belt just ahead of the gun; 2) a private security officer, such as an apartment complex or check-cashing store might hire, while "in uniform" (which may be just khakis with a "Security Officer" patch sewn on the shirt sleeve); or 3) employees in gun stores. "Regular folks" just don't walk around carrying open in Georgia, even though it's legal for them to do so.

I read the excellent post from Sean Caranna (StogieC), #23 in this forum*, outlining the arguments FOR carrying open. His extremely well-thought-out and -presented case, as well as his ceaseless efforts to effect the passage of increased gun rights, has caused me to donate $100 to Florida Carry, Inc. to further the cause. As one of the few people who have actually read the entire Heller decision*, the constitutional issue is extremely important to me, especially in view of what's currently happening in DC, Colorado, California, New York, and other liberal-dominated jurisdictions.

Also worthy of consideration is Sean's observation that, "Deterrence is widely considered to be the first, and most effective, method of self defense." Frankly, I don't WANT to have to shoot someone. If I could be sure that simply carrying open would cause the bad guys to turn and run away, I'd wear a Glock on each hip and a S&W J-frame strapped to each ankle. Deterrence might be the "most effective" means of self-defense, but it's not a guarantee, as shootings of uniformed police officers will attest.

On the other hand, arguments AGAINST carrying open are also reasonable. Some bad guys consider themselves to be "the biggest, baddest dude around," and they may see someone else with a gun as a challenge to their dominance. This can especially be a problem when there's more than one bad guy, or the bad guys are in their teens or 20s and the good guy's a white-haired old man like me. There's also a concern that an openly carried weapon can be taken by a bad guy, as the few police officers who've been relieved of their duty sidearm by a criminal have discovered.

Perhaps the best argument against carrying open was alluded to in Superhouse 15's posting #25 in the same thread:
    If 1 of every 1000 gun owners open carried in Wal-Mart, the soccer moms would scream and rush their kids out the door.
    If 100 of every 1000 gun owners open carried, the soccer moms would glare and grumble under their breath.
    If 500 of every 1000 open carried the soccer moms would complain about how much cheese cost and look for deals on toilet paper and dog bones.
    Maybe the reason I don't see many "Firearms Prohibited" signs on restaurants and stores in Georgia is because there aren't many people carrying open. Strapping a 1911 on your belt and walking into a restaurant or store may be a case of winning the battle (the RIGHT to OC) but losing the war (restaurant and store owners putting up signs that prohibit ALL firearms, even when concealed)*. It must be remembered that the day-to-day concern of business owners is making a profit, not protecting the Constitution. If "1 in 1000" gun owners carrying open caused soccer moms to scream and rush their kids out of THAT owner's establishment a couple of times, it wouldn't be long before a "Firearms Prohibited" sign went up on the front door. How would it enhance public and personal safety to have "in your face" OC create more "gun-free/criminals-welcome" zones?

What I do see in a few Georgia locations is business owners proactively trying to strike a balance by posting a sign that reads, in effect, "We welcome CCW license holders, but please keep 'em concealed." That seems like a reasonable request to me, at least until we get to the point that "500 in 1000" gun owners open carry and the issue drops below public perception. Until then*, I support efforts legalize open carry everywhere, but I plan to carry concealed.

==========

*Notes on the above:
    StogieC's posting #23: Open Carry In Florida
    From Cornell Law: DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA v. HELLER
    Unlike in Florida, signs on Georgia business establishments prohibiting firearms must be obeyed.
    I have no thoughts on HOW to move from "1 in 1000" to "500 in 1000." It's a classic "chicken or egg" problem.

Quote Originally Posted by firemanjones View Post
    This is one case where I would fully support Law Enforcement revoking this total toolbags CCW. He's not only an obvious danger to himself he's a danger to anyone around him.

I also loved how he was bad mouthing the Blackhawk Sherpa vs. his Uncle Mikes LoL

Is it bad that I was secretly hoping he shot himself in the leg?

Quote Originally Posted by RandomDuck View Post
    Unlike in Florida, signs on Georgia business establishments prohibiting firearms must be obeyed.
    Just to clarify, as I understand the statues in Georgia no weapons signs do not need to be obeyed, however they can ask you to leave and you must within a reasonable amount of time. Of course if you OC you'd make it a lot easier for this to happen.

I stand corrected

As I said, I'm not a resident of Georgia and don't have a Ga. carry permit, so I don't have a booklet of Ga. laws similar to the excellent compilation of Fla. laws the Dept. of Agriculture hands out with their carry permit applications. I have an excellent app on my iPad (Legal Heat, 99˘) that summarizes concealed and open carry laws in all "57 states" (as Obama claimed there were in 2008). The app is a bit unclear about a property owner's "right to prohibit," so I went straight to the Statutes (called the "Official Code of Georgia Annotated"):
    §16-11-127(c) Except as provided in Code Section 16-11-127.1 [carrying in a bar], a license holder or person recognized under subsection (e) of Code Section 16-11-126 [reciprocity with other states' licensed carry permit holders] shall be authorized to carry a weapon as provided in Code Section 16-11-135 [in vehicles and parking lots] and in every location in this state not listed in subsection (b) of this Code section [the eight prohibited places list: government buildings, bars (unless the owner allows it), churches, schools, etc.]; provided, however, that private property owners or persons in legal control of property through a lease, rental agreement, licensing agreement, contract, or any other agreement to control access to such property shall have the right to forbid possession of a weapon or long gun on their property, except as provided in Code Section 16-11-135 [in vehicles and parking lots].
    In short: Section 16-11-127(b) lists the eight places that carry is prohibited by law, and specifies that carrying there is a misdemeanor. Section 16-11-127(c) says that private property owners have the "right to forbid possession of a weapon" on their property (except in their parking lot), but it doesn't specifically say what they can do about it.

Well that's as clear as mud. I guess the fact that they have the "right to forbid" means they can tell you not to carry there, but they can't actually do anything about it if you do, at least under this statute. I suppose then it reverts to trespass laws, meaning that they can ask you to leave the premises, and if you don't, they can call the cops and have you arrested for trespassing. So it appears that you're right, alyehoud. Thank you for the correction.

Philosophically, I find it interesting that some states recognize that the U.S. Constitution applies everywhere, even on private property, while other states allow business owners to deny certain Constitutional rights to their employees and customers. The only Constitutional right they're allowed to deny is the Second Amendment, of course. No state allows business owners to give customers a list what they may say and what they may not say while on the premises, in violation of the First Amendment. Business owners are not allowed to confiscate your wallet and cell phone as you walk into their store, in violation of the Fourth Amendment. Or shackle you and your children as you enter their restaurant and make you scrub the floors and wash the dishes, in violation of the Thirteenth Amendment. But for some reason, it's okay for a business owner to say, "You cannot bear arms here," in violation of the Second Amendment.

==========

Georgia laws: LexisNexis® Custom Solution: Georgia Code Research Tool
    Also good: Georgia Gun Laws in Plain English on GeorgiaPacking.org

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links