Open Carry In Florida

Open Carry In Florida

This is a discussion on Open Carry In Florida within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I cannot find whether or not the law was passed in Florida for open carry last spring. I know you can do it one the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Open Carry In Florida

Open Carry In Florida

I cannot find whether or not the law was passed in Florida for open carry last spring. I know you can do it one the way to and from hunting. I was wondering about other situations.

GM
    I guess you are talking about SB 234. Governor Scott signed the bill but open carry and campus carry were remove, "Pinellas County Sheriff Jim Coates did, in fact, tell legislators that if the concealed weapons license reform bill (SB 234 and HB 517) passed that law enforcement would be "drawing down" on license holders", NRA-ILA :: Answers Concerning Actions of Florida Sheriffs Association. Fortunately he announced that he will retire on November 7th.
    See the links below:

Florida Governor Rick Scott - Bill Action
    http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill...llText/er/HTML
    Florida Governor Scott signed today!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Nope. Still have to follow the "while hunting, fishing, etc etc. statue." The bill allowed for a "brief display" of a concealed weapon, but not full out OC

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I'm kind of glad it didn't allow open carry to tell you the truth.

Predominantly because I'd rather be concealed, but also because the sight of an openly carried gun can attract unwanted attention and create some interesting situations around people that are just not used to it.

I also happen to believe that the great State of Florida is shaped like an appendix for a reason. There's enough scum that runs away from the crap they've created up North and come running down I-75 or I-95, to dump out in our little appendix state, that open carry could quickly get out of hand.
    chefjon likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I don't know Dennis...OC seems to work in the states that allow it. I would like to see it be a option here in FL?

You are correct in that assessment, gnr, and so at least as an option it would probably be okay. I can see that point.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.

Thanks guys for the information on open carry in Florida. Sheriff's Coates has been a bleeding heart liberal for years and not worthy of carrying a sheriff's badge. Good news that he is retiring.
    Tlove likes this.

While Open Carry didnt pass... I dont see any real problem with it. As far as folks from up north coming down to sump in the state... I think there is no shortage of home grown skell's.

I'd love to see them try again for open carry. Sometimes it's just that much more comfortable.

There's enough scum that runs away from the crap they've created up North and come running down I-75 or I-95, to dump out in our little appendix state, that open carry could quickly get out of hand.

We can carry openly in our house and yard, when hunting (duh) and fishing, when at the range ('nuther duh) and when camping. With our CWFL we can carry concealed to most of the other places we go. Would it be better to carry openly at the beach while enjoying the sun? Of course. Or when playing golf? Definitely. Would it make sense to carry openly when clearing felled debris from a storm? Yes. Or when hiking the Florida trail or kayaking? Certainly. It's just more comfortable when it's hot and we're lightly dressed. It's more convenient should we need to face off an intent boar or rabid raccoon.

I also tend to think that a little OC would go a long way toward helping folks be a bit more kindly toward one another.
    CaptSmith likes this.

No on OC in Florida! Too many problems already.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    NO OC in Florida,Don`t even think about it as the LEO`S will be on you Quick!. Always Carry,Never Tell!.

Quote Originally Posted by 19florida56 View Post
    No on OC in Florida! Too many problems already.
    What problems?

Dont other states allow it?

This debate could offer many hours of intellectual stimulation and social intercourse.

Do we not allow open carry, thus saving the cops the trouble of having to determine if an OC citizen is legal? Allow OC and let that help with keeping the opportunistic dirtbags to a minimum? Not allow OC and not shake up the decidedly liberal folks in many parts of this state? -- there are a bunch of them in some areas, and if it were a law it would need to be state-wide. There's a lot of pluses and minuses in this one.

Personally, I'd rather carry concealed and just not put that out there ... I get a comfort level, and as a large man have been on the innocent side of small-man syndrome, where some little guy in a bar try's to start something with me just because I'm the biggest guy in the bar. But I can see it as an option, as long as I don't have to openly carry, so that those that want to can do so if they'd like.

Often the obstacle for like-minded folks like us is that we all see gun possession in pretty clear black and white terms, while most others are in a gray area and I believe a minority are stoically against it.

But that's what makes the debate so fun.
    Yankeejib likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
    What problems?

Dont other states allow it?
    Too many problems in Florida already without adding this OC issue.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links