Defensive Carry banner

San Leandro Long Gun Open Carry Event

3K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  tacman605 
#1 ·

San Leandro Long Gun Open Carry Event Damp Squib

Posted on October 23, 2011 by Robert Farago
on www.thetruthaboutguns.com

“The intent was to raise awareness of the legal right of Californians to carry unloaded rifles and shotguns in public,” sfgate.com reports. Well, the media did cover it. That counts for something right? “The venue was a corner of the parking lot of Bayfair Center. And while mall management roped off 165 spaces to accommodate the rally, no more than 30 opponents of gun-control laws stopped by the midday event.” So was the San Leandro long gun open carry rally a good idea or not? I’m thinking . . . not. The main problem? This is not the normalization you’re looking for . . .

Full story: San Leandro Long Gun Open Carry Event Damp Squib | The Truth About Guns

OK, I'm all about the right to carry to protect your self and family but.....
Why would you want to carry an unloaded gun?
:confused::confused::confused:

See less See more
#3 ·
OK, I'm all about the right to carry to protect your self and family but.....
Why would you want to carry an unloaded gun?
Well, In Cali, you used to be able to openly carry an unloaded side arm.. no more. You could also carry a loaded mag. It was sometimes called the 2 second rule. I would imagine that since they didn't legislate against open carry of long guns, the carriers can carry a loaded mag, same 2 seconds.

But these Californians (rallying) have merely brought the long gun loophole into public view... so, next chance they get, Cali legislature will "fix" their previous oversight. And, in the end, hunters probably won't even be able to carry a loaded weapon...

Sigh.

Stupid Californians.

#5 ·
But, how does an unloaded gun protect you and your family from danger?
Simple, In Cali... SA must border on the psychic (some have become psychics as a sideline. That's where all the psychic hotlines originate)... You used to have 2 seconds to insert mag and rack slide in a handgun, to protect yourself and your loved ones in public.

It seems to me that its just to show off. And it freaks the public out even more then they are.
Well, that will be the end result, and there will be a clamoring to fix the loophole.

#7 ·
What is the saying...Fool me once shame on you....

They just lost the right to carry an unloaded handgun and now let's see what to do? Oh I know lets wander around with unloaded rifles to show them they can. So how does this work they carry a hi point carbine instead of their AR in case they get arrested so they dont loose much? Your SA while OC'ing a handgun had to be increased I cannot even imagine what level you have to have now. What about weapon retention? No one hand on the gun here and fight with the other.
The young lady with the shotgun on her shoulder she is supposed to protect that how? Come on guys.

At this point I don't know who is stranger the California lawmakers or the gun owners.

Just wanted to add/ask. Ok the gent with the M4 with the mag in. When someone calls and says there is a man with a loaded rifle walking down the street how is LE supposed to respond? Is the magazine in? Yep ok rifle deemed loaded. Stop and approach but wait they are violating his rights!!!! Is he violating the law? Are there rounds in the mag?
If I see a person here in Iraq with a rifle, and a mag inserted the weapon is considered loaded by anyone's standards whether there is a round in the chamber or rounds in the mag but just wait someone will scream harassment if this guy or someone like him is stopped. So please explain how LE is supposed to respond?

#8 ·
Could California gun owners be any dumber?
Didn't we just witness how well this tactic worked for handguns??? When they ban unloaded long guns maybe we should march around with sacks of ammo and see if we can get them banned as well! :blink:

#10 ·
So you're all suggesting they do not engage in their Right for fear it may be removed?

Not at all. CHANGE BATTLE TACTICS. The open carry battle was lost, they got their butt kicked so lets do the same thing again on a grander scale so to speak and see how that works?

#11 ·
Not at all. CHANGE BATTLE TACTICS. The open carry battle was lost, they got their butt kicked so lets do the same thing again on a grander scale so to speak and see how that works?
And what new battle tactic would that be?

I think they know very well how it will work.

Given more recent federal judicial rulings on the Second Amendment, and given that the state of California is largely removing the individual's ability to engage in their Second Amendment Right... anyone else see a strategic angle here but me?

California is so far gone this is about the only option left.

Cowering in the corner being afraid to lose a largely irrelevant form of carry (unloaded long gun.... really?) is going to do nothing.

#12 ·
Cowering in the corner being afraid to lose a largely irrelevant form of carry (unloaded long gun.... really?) is going to do nothing.

As was the irrelevant form of carry, the unloaded handgun really, it was going to do nothing. All I am saying is let it sit awhile. The jumping up and saying "You took handguns away but we will do this instead" is irrational and to me very stupid. It is like a double dog dare, One stroke of a pen is all it takes.

Not saying cower in a corner, back up, regroup and attack from a different direction. You may be right the state may be to far gone but go for what you know if you lose it you lose it but blame no one but yourself, or themselves.

#13 ·
After they lose the right to carry long guns... maybe they can carry a box of disassembled "machine parts" that can be assembled in less than 5 minutes, into a functional weapon.

I'm hoping their long term strategy is to get SCOTUS to look at it, after someone sues over the lost right. But, that's gonna take time and money... and California may be the "new Atlantis" by then anyway.

#14 ·
I get the whole "lay low and strike later" idea but I guess I just believe that tactic would turn out to be fruitless. They were laying low for quite some time before the unloaded handgun OC debacle..... look where that got 'em.

Maybe my opinion is different because I'm in a state where OC is the only legal form of carry until Nov 1, 2011 when the new concealed carry law kicks in. For years I watched people make the same comments about OC that it will only hurt the cause. They were wrong.

oakchas picked up on what I hinted to in my last post: SCOTUS is the only thing that will help CA pro gun folks now.

I think the pro gun activists in California know this.

oakchas -- "machine parts"...... some funny stuff bud!

#15 ·
Trip not disagreeing. But I to watched for years at the OC movement poking a stick at the big dog in the name of educating the masses and for the lack of a better phrase, force feeding the issue.

I posted months ago in one of the many OC debates on here that they needed to back off with the videos and "poking with a stick" attitudes and was told that This is the way to victory!!!! and that they were educating LE and the people so they would understand the movement but never just to draw attention. Well we all see how far that got them.

Yes the legal fight is all that is left to them but going into the streets with long guns is idiotic. As I and others have said on here many times we the gun owning public will not carry the vote, it is the non gun toting citizens who will and what do they base their decisions on, right or wrong? What they see folks like this doing, or on youtube, or the local news. That is what is educating the citizens not them.

#17 ·
It's ok you can disagree :)

The citizens of California have proven they're unable to elect representatives interested in upholding the Constitution. This is far beyond what a vote can address and public opinion is irrelevant now (just as it was before the OC handgun BS). This is going to take a federal ruling.

There comes a time when people need to stand up for what they believe despite the "wisdom" passed on by those who feel OC is simply for poking with a stick. Ohio and Wisconsin are two prime examples of the Open Carry Movement bringing the Second Amendment to dinner table discussion and more importantly to the legislature for review. California's Legislative Branch of full of monkeys and most anyone could foresee this sort of outcome. The bigger picture, in my opinion, is the federal judicial assistance (oxymoron?) needed for California to move in the right direction with a DC v Heller or McDonald v Chicago type ruling.

#18 ·
So if everyone knew that the legislature was full of monkeys and the movement was due to fail so let's do it anyway?

I know this car is defective and the tire is coming off at 90 miles an hour but lets drive 100 MPH and see what happens.

What kind of mentality is that?

As I stated the non gun toting people are the ones who will decide who is in office, what laws are passed and so on not us so the effort must start with getting new officials elected or get it from a higher authority but in the meantime events like this do not further a damn thing, they again fire up the non gun toting crowd and you wont get anywhere.

#19 ·
As I stated the non gun toting people are the ones who will decide who is in office, what laws are passed and so on not us so the effort must start with getting new officials elected or get it from a higher authority...
You're kidding yourself if you believe Californians can attack this issue through changing their elected officials. The political leanings of The People prohibit that from being a reality. It must be forced through the courts and at a federal level.

#20 ·
Open carry without a loaded magazine , might as well tell everyone I got nothing on me, want my gun too! How stupid , anyone walking around unloaded needs to get an ass whoopin and for there gun to be taken away! I thought it was funny how Diane Fienbergerstien got her concealed license , she went to the next county over and they issued it without cause , now if you or i did that ,they would have said go back to your county!! Hipocrate!!

Look the only way California will get better is for you to leave that godforsaken place!

#21 ·
Californian gun proponents need to be quiet, work behind the scenes promoting firearm friendly politicians and getting them voted into office. Grandstanding in that stupid state to "exercise your rights" just ends up in the backward anti politicians in Suckramento passing more feel good legislation further squashing your rights..... work behind the scenes in the form of lawsuits against these laws, getting politicians and sheriffs elected that are 2d amendment friendly..... get these morons out of office and get these laws legally repealed.... grandstanding in states like IL, NY, NJ, CA.... etc just ends up in more knee jerk legislation.

#22 ·
Ok so you cant fix it by trying to get new leaders, you have to fix it in the courts. So running around with an unloaded rifle is going to prove what?
Do you not think the members of the court watch youtube or the evening news? Is this really the message they want to send?

#23 ·
Have you kept up with the process? The CA SC held that the 2A was not infringed in CA because they were allowed to unloaded OC. They were going for shall issue CC though. If the legislature had not banned OC, they would have no real argument in the lawsuit on a state level. Now, the courts will have to rethink the entire issue. They are a may issue CC state with no ability to carry a handgun outside of the may issue process, but previously they had UOC without a permit. My guess is, they knew exactly how silly UOC was but it needed to be moved aside so that it could not be used as an excuse to continue to infringe on their rights.

Probably, the best thing that could happen would be for the legislature to lock carry down entirely. Then let the courts toss the whole mess out and start over.

You can blame the voters, or the legislators, even the media; but blaming the gun owners who are fighting this battle is counterproductive. They had two options, status quo or push the issue. The lawsuit proved that status quo was not the road to shall issue carry.

Reactions: nerdyvirgin and JD
#24 ·
Chief. No I haven't kept up with the issue other than on here or the youtube videos that everyone has access to, due to my location and job I have bigger fish to fry.

This does kinda work into my train of thought though. I am a large scale gun owner and want to see rights furthered and folks be allowed to carry and so on. If I watch and see the videos and news reports on the "Movement" and consider some of them silly, unwarranted and just plain stupid what do you think the non gun folks see?

As has been stated lay low, file the suits, keep off the radar and get stuff done. All things like this do is remind the monkeys in office "Oh hey we forgot to ban something". With things like this going on they should start a pool as to not if, but when it gets banned. I bet between me and azchevy we would win a portion of it.

I would love to see them have the rights other states have but to me they are doing it in the wrong way. Like I posted months ago I stated that they wanted attention and wanted the government to take action and it could bite them in the butt by the way they were doing it, well guess what it did so now they are doing the same thing with long guns.

When all is said and done either by court decision or other means I hope they get what they want I do not however believe drawing attention to yourself at this time is the way to go.

#25 ·
As has been stated lay low, file the suits, keep off the radar and get stuff done.
Well, that has failed once. Maybe SCOTUS would overturn it, but probably no one else if everything in the state stayed the same. Now, maybe they can get a positive decision without going all the way to SCOTUS. That would be the best outcome here.

I hear you talking about the more confrontational videos. Some of them I don't even agree with, mainly where folks are just looking for a problem. But the one's that are out there doing what they legally can I don't mind. And if you are relying on news, my assumption is that they intend to paint them in a bad light regardless.

They wanted change, they got it. Sometimes change comes in fits and spurts. And sometimes a step back ends up leading to a big step forward. If they can get the lower court decisions changed in light of the new legislation, it will become a big step forward instead of a defeat. The appeal is in the works BTW.

#26 ·
I really hope it works out for them, just saying they did the "Lets show them" thing and it did not work. You would think they would try a different tactic but Power to the people and all that. Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.