President of Michigan Open Carry victim of attack journalism

This is a discussion on President of Michigan Open Carry victim of attack journalism within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gee, I wonder why the local news decided to focus on this guy? Is 'Open Carry' Leader Scott Webb a Loose Cannon?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: President of Michigan Open Carry victim of attack journalism

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar

President of Michigan Open Carry victim of attack journalism

Gee, I wonder why the local news decided to focus on this guy?

Is 'Open Carry' Leader Scott Webb a Loose Cannon?
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

2. Remove Ads

Is 'Open Carry' Leader Scott Webb a Loose Cannon?

Yes, stunts like having a open carry rally on Belle Isle are counterproductive. It just makes for free advertising for his CPL classes.

Webb is a Douche bag...He should step down and let someone else take the rains...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

JD
    Administrator
    Well....he certainly has given them enough ammo for their argument.

"We must hold ourselves to a higher standard in our actions and in our words."

Hmmmmm.. Sounds like a politician, doesn't he?

Most of us have some thing in our history we are not proud of... But a BOLO, several PPOs (all dismissed or expired), admitted "mental health treatment" (???), does not make for good representation of open (or concealed) carry.

For the "good of the cause" he should probably step down... And, if he's unable to work due to the aforementioned "mental health treatment" one wonders if he might not be using funds donated to his organization to support himself...

It's just my opinion, but I wouldn't want him representing me.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    For the "good of the cause" he should probably step down...

Letter to all MOC Members and friends regarding Fox 2 Detroit story on Scott Webb

Dear Members:

On November 1st, 2011 Fox 2 News Detroit aired a slanted piece on former MOC, Inc. President Scott Webb. The feature was one-sided and obviously an attempt to discredit Mr. Webb, MOC, Inc. and our right to keep and bear arms. MOC, Inc. is aware that this segment appeared during sweeps week. This was nothing more than an attempt to create controversy, increase ratings and harm the growing practice of open carry.
    Looks like he all ready has.

VIP Member
    Characterizing this guy as a victim is a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    That letter is another bit of journalism I wouldn't care to plant my battle flag on.
    Last edited by JD; November 3rd, 2011 at 02:20 PM.

VIP Member
    Wow well I used to questions the means and motives of MOC and wonder how the ruling body dealt with it..........well guess I got that question answered.

How in the world would this be slanted reporting? lol Oh well it takes all kinds. I do see now he is the former president.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Yeah that piece didn't exactly help make the case for gun owners. It's a shame that someone like that became a spokesman for MOC. He made a better case than the Brady-tools...

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Sounds like this guy may not be fit as the face of any type of movement.

That DB 'reporter' narrating the video is a peach. "...encouraging his followers to come out & wear their weapons to places like this, a Michigan open carry dinner at a Canton restaraunt. These people don't just come armed with some big pieces. Many have extra clips of ammo strapped on their belts...but, who can blame 'em? This place looks like it caters to a pretty rough clientle."

He even tries to play tough guy when he notices that Webb isn't carrying, "...your not so tough without your your gun, are you?"

Wolchek then finishes his 'story' by stating, "Now this is not an anti-gun story. Personally, I don't have anything against guns, as long as they're in the hands of mentally stable, responsible citizens."

...who aren't carrying big pieces & extra 'clips' of ammo strapped to their belts?

I say lock Wolcheck & Webb in a locked room & throw away the key. Let God sort 'em out.
    MotorCityGun, Eagleks and Spec like this.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I think people here are quick to want to fry the guy, over what to me was a very sarcastic one-sided and sensationalized news report. The sarcasism in it was obsurd, and not only related to him..... just like the "people carrying guns into an eating establishment' , and "EVEN CARRYING extra magazines", and the "dangerous clientele" sarcasism. They are obviously, very anti-gun, and went into the guy's personal life to see what they could dig up ..... to make him look bad.

The personal protection orders, really don't mean much around here.... anyone can do one for about anything, and when it's a divorce, etc. attorneys often advise women to file them to try to use as a bad light on the men.

It was an "ooooh see, they are all unstable gun nuts out there " piece.

I know one guy extremely well, and he's about as dangerous carrying a gun as Ghandi, but he does carry. Yet, when he got divorced... his wife wanted an PO .... why ? Because he believes in carrying a gun for protection and anyone that does that has to be crazy (at least in her mind).

They were putting down "anyone" that carried a gun in that broadcast.... and being as sarcastic as they could be about it .... even with shots of people going into the restaurant carrying & making sarcastic and derogatory comments about them.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Ok got to disagree with you on this one.

The prez stated in a signed document that he could not work because of a mental condition, he had several protection orders over a period of time from different women who didn't know each other. That is called a pattern of abuse.

Saying this guy is a victim of slanted journalism is like saying Micheal Jackson is a "Victim" of drug abuse. Even if this story was presented by the Brady's themselves I would probably give it some weight. He had a sorted past, he got caught, and was relieved, I guess, of his duties. If even one of the PPO's is true he does not need to be carrying a firearm period and he damn sure did not need to be a spokesperson for anything to do with firearms.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    If the PPO's held weight or were still active he wouldn't be allowed to have a gun.. So why didn't the News say that? oh because it would have made their story that much more pointless.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

VIP Member
    They did state the PPO's had expired. To me the point is that he had multiple PPO's from different women who, unless they stated it somewhere else, did not know one another. That in itself is disturbing that he has issues, then gets a PPO and behaves, I guess, til it is done moves on and gets another in it's place from a different woman.

Yes PPO's can be put on anyone by anyone, after judical review, and sometimes are bogus, once maybe twice, but over and over. He cant have it both ways either he cant work because of mental disease or defect and should not have a gun or he is fine can be employed and take care of himself, has no issues and can own whatever he wants.

Just an opinion though. Remember there are always three sides to every story, his, theirs and the truth.
    JD likes this.

...because women NEVER lie when requesting a protection order, right?

The reporter is a tool. If anything, Webb is guilty of having bad judgement when it comes to women.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links