ALERT: WA Ceasefire to push open carry ban in 2012

This is a discussion on ALERT: WA Ceasefire to push open carry ban in 2012 within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; EXCLUSIVE! WA Ceasefire to seek Evergreen State open carry ban Washington Ceasefire has announced that it will ask the Washington State Legislature to ban open ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: ALERT: WA Ceasefire to push open carry ban in 2012

EXCLUSIVE! WA Ceasefire to seek Evergreen State open carry ban

Washington Ceasefire has announced that it will ask the Washington State Legislature to ban open carry of firearms in the Evergreen State, a move that comes just months after California’s lawmakers did the same thing.

EXCLUSIVE: WA Ceasefire to seek Evergreen State open carry ban - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Is Washington where SF residents to when they retire? Don't know much about your state or it's politics but sounds like there is work to be done there.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

From some friends out there I think that WA politics and majority beliefs fall right in the middle of the spectrum between California and Massachusetts.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Now that the CA immigrants have ruined the housing market in WA, why not instill teh CA way of life also?
    ironmike86 and ANGLICO like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Now that the CA immigrants have ruined the housing market in WA, why not instill teh CA way of life also?
    I think they already have. I moved here 8 months ago and am constantly amazed. You can spot a liberal tree-hugger from a mile away. To quote Clint Eastwood, "they have that just pumped the neighbor's cat look" in their eyes. Half of Seattle's taxis are Prius, gasoline tax money goes to bike ways instead of roads, all guns are evil, yada, yada, yada. Many western states have become havens for Californians' escape from high taxation. Unfortunately, most brought their liberal ways with them. I wasn't aware OC was a big "problem" here. I've not seen anyone OC and I've traveled my fair share throughout the state in a short time.
    tts likes this.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Washington's constitution has State Preemption in it, forbidding local jurisdictions from enacting any form of their own gun control. This means all gun control must be enacted at the State level; it also makes changes more difficult (but not impossible). As Dave pointed out, it's a nice divide-and-conquer strategy because some gun owners are so tragically short-sighted that they won't support any gun activity unless they personally practice it.

Pay attention, Washington gun owners CC and OC alike: We're all neighbors. We may have our internal quibbles, but don't be so foolish as to think the enemy will be satisfied with only taking down one of us. They want us ALL. OCers are the first-line defense of gun owners, the most visible, and usually the first to get attacked. If you're a die-hard CCer, consider this before you throw the OCers to the wolves: they're patrolling the outer perimeter of the gun ownership encampment. If they have no support from within the camp, don't expect them to survive for long.

I'll add that 99.9% of the time I CC, so this isn't about my personal choice. An openly carried pistol is sometimes a learning experience for the sheep; they ask questions and it's a gun-owner's opportunity to present the ENTIRE community in a positive light. You'll never get that chance if OC is banned.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

id like to put a motion before the oregon and washington state legislature. Combine our states together- then divide it north to south right down the cascade range. Its sad that the densely populated west side of both states for the most part decide what happens to east and west alike.

I hear you on them trying to ban OC. If they're successful, they wont stop there for sure.
    bgriffin70 and RemMod597 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by carverelli View Post
    id like to put a motion before the oregon and washington state legislature. Combine our states together- then divide it north to south right down the cascade range. Its sad that the densely populated west side of both states for the most part decide what happens to east and west alike.
    NO! Being west of Puget Sound, this would leave me stuck in a hard core liberal state! Besides, I flatly refuse to concede the entire coastline to those wackjobs!
    bgriffin70 likes this.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

I hear you! I live in Portland. It is silly season 12 months of the year here as it is. We don't need any California ideas floating around here.

Washington and Oregon are both liberal states, but they have very good gun laws. CC is easily available in both states (shall issue) and open carry is allowed with a concealed license. Both states do require a state law to change existing gun law. (No local laws can overrule the state statutes).

We aim to keep it that way. The best thing to do is to make sure you vote to protect your gun rights and vote to get rid of any politican who threatens them.
    brazildsm likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

These are the kind of things I would support even though I don't OC. If we (CC'ers and OC'ers alike) let them take OC off the table, it only makes sense CC is next. This is enough of a reason to help support and vote with our OC brethtren. One thing I can't stand is a small group of loonies (like Ceasfire) trying to override the constitution and imply their own misguided regulations on me and my rights. I'm sorry they encountered gun violence in their lives, but banning all weapons is stupid and short minded. That is like me wanting to ban all cars because I was hit by a drunk driver. Stupid.

If I encounter gun violence (cause criminals don't follow the laws ya know) I want the choice to respond with my own gun violence, ya know.

tts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveWorkman View Post
    EXCLUSIVE! WA Ceasefire to seek Evergreen State open carry ban

Washington Ceasefire has announced that it will ask the Washington State Legislature to ban open carry of firearms in the Evergreen State, a move that comes just months after California’s lawmakers did the same thing.

EXCLUSIVE: WA Ceasefire to seek Evergreen State open carry ban - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com
    That's really disappointing to hear. As other have mentioned, Washington is a VERY liberal state but has acceptable gun laws. OCers are the most forward-facing, public members of the firearms community. These guys are on a constant quest to dispel the myths/incorrect assumptions that float around and change the perception of firearms in our world.

As mentioned, WA state does have a preemptive firearms law so it would be difficult, albeit not impossible, for this to change.

RCW 9.41.290
    State preemption.

The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.

[1994 sp.s. c 7 § 428; 1985 c 428 § 1; 1983 c 232 § 12.]
    Quote Originally Posted by billstaf View Post
    I hear you! I live in Portland. It is silly season 12 months of the year here as it is. We don't need any California ideas floating around here.

Washington and Oregon are both liberal states, but they have very good gun laws. CC is easily available in both states (shall issue) and open carry is allowed with a concealed license. Both states do require a state law to change existing gun law. (No local laws can overrule the state statutes).

We aim to keep it that way. The best thing to do is to make sure you vote to protect your gun rights and vote to get rid of any politican who threatens them.
    In WA, you can OC without a CPL. In fact, that's how I carried for the 30 days until my license arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by tts View Post
    In WA, you can OC without a CPL. In fact, that's how I carried for the 30 days until my license arrived.
    True, you only need to be 21 years old and not otherwise barred from possessing a firearm (felony, certified nutcase, etc). There are no other requirements, no forms to submit, no license or permit to be granted.

I expect gun-grabbers to go for a full ban on OC. However, their back-up plan will almost certainly be to institute some kind of permit system for open carry. It will be important to remind people that we've never had an OC "permit" requirement in the history of Washington State, and there has been no bloodbath.
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    I think they already have. I moved here 8 months ago and am constantly amazed. You can spot a liberal tree-hugger from a mile away. To quote Clint Eastwood, "they have that just pumped the neighbor's cat look" in their eyes. Half of Seattle's taxis are Prius, gasoline tax money goes to bike ways instead of roads, all guns are evil, yada, yada, yada. Many western states have become havens for Californians' escape from high taxation. Unfortunately, most brought their liberal ways with them. I wasn't aware OC was a big "problem" here. I've not seen anyone OC and I've traveled my fair share throughout the state in a short time.
    LOL, your right ! They have that dopey, spacey look in their eyes ! They all wear the same kind of clothes and talk like they are actually smart, but don't have an ounce of common sense ! I wish they would be put on an island in the mid pacific, they don't want to be here anyway ! They are also the biggest hippocrites of all ! They preach guns are evil but when trouble hits home, like their house gets robbed or they get mugged, the first thing they do is go buy a gun ! I see them come in the shop everyday !
    You see, they only learn after they get slapped in the face by reality !

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    They don`t call it "Kommiefornia" for nothing. Good Luck!!.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carverelli View Post

I hear you on them trying to ban OC. If they're successful, they wont stop there for sure.
    I'm with you on this one. I live on the east slope of the Cascades, and the sociological climate is so different 10 minutes to the west, you'd never believe you were in the same region, much less the same state.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links