Open Carry "meets" do they really work? - Page 3

Open Carry "meets" do they really work?

This is a discussion on Open Carry "meets" do they really work? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I say we give the southern half of Cal. back to Mexico. From about SF down. The northern half seems to be ok. They even ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Open Carry "meets" do they really work?

I say we give the southern half of Cal. back to Mexico. From about SF down. The northern half seems to be ok. They even have Bigfoot! Could be their state flag animal instead of the bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    California only authorised, if I remember correctly, open carry of an unloaded firearm. Someone explain to me of what possible use (except as a small club) is an EMPTY firearm, concealed or open carried?
    You are correct. And this restriction was in response to a historic protest that involved the open carrying of weapons. So our modern day OCers said, "Well if you'll only let us carry unloaded weapons, then we'll show you by holding public carry events where people are forced to be around guns. Yeah, that'll show em!"

The climate and laws already had anti-gun tendencies, and the OCers' approach pushed the situation to a boiling point for the general public and legislators. And now they can't even carry unloaded. Their egos wouldn't allow them to see the forest through the trees.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lawaia View Post
    My specific example is that OC of handguns is now completely banned in the state of CA. It wasn't even on the radar of our legislators until people started their OC meet-ups to "assert" their rights.
    I have to disagree: Legislators respond to lobbyists and I can promise you that OC has been on the anti-gun agenda for quite some time. CA legislators weren't reacting to grassroots displeasure with open carry. California has two massive, aggressive, metastatic tumors that sway politics for the entire state: Los Angeles, and San Francisco. It has also had an anti-gun culture for a very long time so the vast majority of its population wouldn't bat an eye over more gun restrictions because they've been conditioned so well. I think CA is an extreme case that might be repeated in, say, Mass or NY or Illinois where anti-gun sentiments have been so pervasive for so long, but that's about it.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    I have to disagree: Legislators respond to lobbyists and I can promise you that OC has been on the anti-gun agenda for quite some time. CA legislators weren't reacting to grassroots displeasure with open carry. California has two massive, aggressive, metastatic tumors that sway politics for the entire state: Los Angeles, and San Francisco. It has also had an anti-gun culture for a very long time so the vast majority of its population wouldn't bat an eye over more gun restrictions because they've been conditioned so well. I think CA is an extreme case that might be repeated in, say, Mass or NY or Illinois where anti-gun sentiments have been so pervasive for so long, but that's about it.
    Hence my original statement of, "It depends on the local culture and the approach." Luckily not every state is like CA. I only warn to evaluate the situation in individual areas for what they truly are, and tread lightly. Otherwise, you may have regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    I say we give the southern half of Cal. back to Mexico. From about SF down. The northern half seems to be ok. They even have Bigfoot! Could be their state flag animal instead of the bear.
    I wasn't going to comment on your post, but these types of statements seem to always pop up.

While there may be some comedic value associated with your words, posts like this only degrade the legitimacy of you, the other members of this forum, and the forum itself.

CA tends to pass some funky laws that most folks don't agree with. However, a lot of what happens in CA can bleed into other parts of the country. I think as gun owners, we need to stand together to fight the BS whether we live in the same place or not. Think before you alienate your brothers. Not all Californians are against 2A rights.

[QUOTE=lawaia;2073481]I wasn't going to comment on your post, but these types of statements seem to always pop up.

While there may be some comedic value associated with your words, posts like this only degrade the legitimacy of you, the other members of this forum, and the forum itself.

CA tends to pass some funky laws that most folks don't agree with. However, a lot of what happens in CA can bleed into other parts of the country. I think as gun owners, we need to stand together to fight the BS whether we live in the same place or not. Think before you alienate your brothers. Not all Californians are against 2A rights.[/QUOTE

Please accept my appologies.... Apparently I should strike humor off the list of Californian attributes. My intent was not to degrade the legitimacy of myself or the forum. (Not exactly sure how that could happen, but, I forget, Californians are all serious about everything.) Also, Please convey my deepest regrets to Bigfoot for using his reference. I would hate for him to think that I was not at all serious when I mentioned that he replace the bear on the California state flag. No greater honor could be bestowed upon him!

[QUOTE=carracer;2073530]
    I wasn't going to comment on your post, but these types of statements seem to always pop up.

CA tends to pass some funky laws that most folks don't agree with. However, a lot of what happens in CA can bleed into other parts of the country. I think as gun owners, we need to stand together to fight the BS whether we live in the same place or not. Think before you alienate your brothers. Not all Californians are against 2A rights.[/QUOTE

Please accept my appologies.... Apparently I should strike humor off the list of Californian attributes. My intent was not to degrade the legitimacy of myself or the forum. (Not exactly sure how that could happen, but, I forget, Californians are all serious about everything.) Also, Please convey my deepest regrets to Bigfoot for using his reference. I would hate for him to think that I was not at all serious when I mentioned that he replace the bear on the California state flag. No greater honor could be bestowed upon him!
    Thanks for bein' you. Do you find it humorous when other people make generally degrading comments about you? See, we have a real problem over here, and we don't really find much humor in the situation. Talk to me about anything else, and I will joke with you all day long. This hits a real personal note with me, though.

I ask you to stand with us, and you come back again with a smart-ass response about Californians. Thanks. I'd make a comment back at you about hicks and such, but I'm from Indiana........

tts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    OC is legal here, I rarely do it, but I have been to a few OC meets. I have seen no positive or negative impact; I just find it fun to meet people with whom I had discussions in online fora. The best one was like Limatunes' example, a picnic at a reserved space in a local state park with adults and kids. At none of these have I ever seen a passerby stop to ask questions, criticize OC, or otherwise chat.

Smolk, you might consider attending one---OC or orations are not required, so you could just listen to see what it's about.
    I agree with this. I think it's fun to go to these just for the social aspect. Those who carry (either OC or CC) understand we are a friendly bunch and we're a lot alike.

I OC most of the time I carry. Still, I wouldn't ever attend any of these OC gatherings. I don't want to he associated with the "I'm proving a point" morons. I OC because I can and because I prefer to. No need to shove it down anyones throat.

The best argument I've seen for OC: The Open Carry Argument

[QUOTE=lawaia;2073544]

Thanks for bein' you. Do you find it humorous when other people make generally degrading comments about you? See, we have a real problem over here, and we don't really find much humor in the situation. Talk to me about anything else, and I will joke with you all day long. This hits a real personal note with me, though.

I ask you to stand with us, and you come back again with a smart-ass response about Californians. Thanks. I'd make a comment back at you about hicks and such, but I'm from Indiana........
    Wow, Let me start over here. Yes, you and the state of Cal have a problem. How may I be of assistance? I guess there's not alot I can do from here. Do I stand with you? Yes. I do my part to promote open carry as much as I can. I carry Idaho gun law phamplets with me as I carry and also information about local the local carry club. I'm polite. I hold doors open for people. I let other cars have the parking spot. I pay ahead for the next coffee. I answer questions that are asked of me pertaining to carry in an informative manner. I dress appropriately. All these things are done with my 1911 owb in my Serpa.

My commments are not "Generally Degrading". They are sent in jest. I see no others jumping on the band wagon here being insulted. I am willing to take critisism here if warranted. So how about it, other forum members? Am I out of line here or can you see the humor as intended? Please state your punishment for me if so. I will refrain here from suggestions as wet noodles, cold Starbucks coffee or a pebble in my shoe (Made in the USA by the way!).

Perhaps it's the Bigfoot reference that is over the top. Well...I have read nearly all the books written by Roger Patterson and Bob Gimmlin and others such as Ivan sanderson and more. Idaho State University has its own department dedicated to research on the subject.

So, back on the topic of Open Carry Meetings. Yes they work. We are not a bunch of ""I'm proving a point" morons". Altho there are some, I don't believe they are part of the organized meeting groups. Most groups I have read of or associated with are just regular guys that share a common interest. We have our meeting spots that are OC friendly. We change locations in January every year to introduce ourselves to a new establishment and group of people. By being regulars we establish a report with the management and others that frequent the location. They see that we are not a bunch of in your face morons jumping up and down yelling about our rights. We are civil and maintain our composure even when confronted as some of my friends have been. We try to educate those that see us as threatening or confrontational. We respect others rights of private property but also give them an explanation of our point of view.

So, there we are! Support for the cause, whether it be here, Indianna or Cal. Now, has anyone seen my Jack Links Beef Jerky? All Messin' With Sasquatch Commercials Combined - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    The list of uses begins with paper weights and door stops.
    We think alike. :)
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

[QUOTE=carracer;2073801]

Wow, Let me start over here. Yes, you and the state of Cal have a problem. How may I be of assistance? I guess there's not alot I can do from here. Do I stand with you? Yes. I do my part to promote open carry as much as I can. I carry Idaho gun law phamplets with me as I carry and also information about local the local carry club. I'm polite. I hold doors open for people. I let other cars have the parking spot. I pay ahead for the next coffee. I answer questions that are asked of me pertaining to carry in an informative manner. I dress appropriately. All these things are done with my 1911 owb in my Serpa.

My commments are not "Generally Degrading". They are sent in jest. I see no others jumping on the band wagon here being insulted. I am willing to take critisism here if warranted. So how about it, other forum members? Am I out of line here or can you see the humor as intended? Please state your punishment for me if so. I will refrain here from suggestions as wet noodles, cold Starbucks coffee or a pebble in my shoe (Made in the USA by the way!).

Perhaps it's the Bigfoot reference that is over the top. Well...I have read nearly all the books written by Roger Patterson and Bob Gimmlin and others such as Ivan sanderson and more. Idaho State University has its own department dedicated to research on the subject.

So, back on the topic of Open Carry Meetings. Yes they work. We are not a bunch of ""I'm proving a point" morons". Altho there are some, I don't believe they are part of the organized meeting groups. Most groups I have read of or associated with are just regular guys that share a common interest. We have our meeting spots that are OC friendly. We change locations in January every year to introduce ourselves to a new establishment and group of people. By being regulars we establish a report with the management and others that frequent the location. They see that we are not a bunch of in your face morons jumping up and down yelling about our rights. We are civil and maintain our composure even when confronted as some of my friends have been. We try to educate those that see us as threatening or confrontational. We respect others rights of private property but also give them an explanation of our point of view.

So, there we are! Support for the cause, whether it be here, Indianna or Cal. Now, has anyone seen my Jack Links Beef Jerky? All Messin' With Sasquatch Commercials Combined - YouTube
    Hey, thanks for the thoughtful reply. I do get the humor, I just can't feel it because of my closeness to the issue.

Anyway, sounds like you have a great OC group in ID that may actually be doing some good will with the community. I'm glad that the environment there will accept and support that activity. Good work, and best wishes to you and your group.

If you ever get up this direction, send a pm or email and we'll have dinner and maybe go shoot a few rounds!

If you ever get up this direction, send a pm or email and we'll have dinner and maybe go shoot a few rounds!
    Will do. I'd like to see Idaho. My wife keeps talking about moving there!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links