Open Carry "meets" do they really work?

This is a discussion on Open Carry "meets" do they really work? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by smolck I want to say I do not open carry. I can, it is legal in my state, but I choose not ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Open Carry "meets" do they really work?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I want to say I do not open carry. I can, it is legal in my state, but I choose not to. I also want to say I have no problem with those that do, it is your right.

I am going to try and ask this question correctly so as not to stir up a debate on OC vs CC because I already have my own mind made up on that issue. So here goes:

A number of Pro OC groups have weekly or monthly "meets" where they get coffee or breakfast and I guess talk about guns or something. I often hear pro OC people say how these groups are such a great way to help defend our 2nd amendment and so forth. But do they really?

My local OC group (whom I have never met or been to any of their meetings) is made up of maybe 10 or 12 guys. That is only 10 or 12 votes on election day. So they can vote for pro gun laws, but what other things do they do to help? I ask this because I would really like to know. If they are doing some good maybe I should offer my time and skills. But to me, from the outside looking in, it seems OC meets are little more than a way to draw attention to oneself and do more harm than good.

So the question is, do these groups really have a positive impact, has it ever been quantified, and what are the impacts?

Example, did any OC group in WI work to get the CC laws changed or was that someone else?
    It is a form of public discourse, much like this forum. One might ask whether the collective forums of this website have any impact. Is not the domain name here - defensivecarry.com - an attempt to draw attention to one's self? Is that not the purpose of many forms of discourse? Whether the attention that is drawn is done so positively or negatively depends on the conduct and message of the group.

Both this forum and the gatherings are an exercise of 1A and 2A rights. I'll wager a month's pay that both have positive and negative impacts. That's as far as I can go.

In the meantime, we should all not discharge firearms in glass houses.

PS: Not trying to start a little thread war, and I don't take issue with your question.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    It is nothing like the gay rights movement. The gay rights movement is trying to gain basic equality for themselves and the OC movement is trying to make a point. The pride parades are the equivalent of OC marches.

But either way, explain how these damage perceptions.
    Please watch these two videos, then tell me about public perceptions. Notice the guy in the red hoodie with the AR on his back...MI is a OC state..

Lansing Ponderosa Encounter - Raw footage Police detaining and trying to illegally obtain ID's Pt 1 - YouTube

Lansing Ponderosa Encounter - Raw footage Police detaining and trying to illegally obtain ID's Pt 2 - YouTube

Im not against OC, but this is not the right way to represent OC IMO.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    As an OC meeting member you may never see a tangible effect. However by being visible to those who do not carry, or only CC and you display a positive image it may sway their conception of not only OC but carrying in particular. Just like 1 person acting like a jackass paints the whole group that way, a positive impression can have the same results.
    What you said, I aggree.We have OC dinners to let people see us.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

The Lansing videos are interesting. I can see OC meets to further awareness to the general public, but the clown with the AR just set back the cause. A holstered handgun isn't enough? I would be disturbed seeing a rifle if I was in the restaurant even if I knew what was going on.

And this will probably draw some fire my way, but I absolutely HATE these videos where some interest group smugly has their video camera rolling away while provoking or taunting a response from their supposed oppressors. I don't care what the cause is, it just gives me a pain. Dorks with video cameras annoy me.

Quote Originally Posted by Crescentstar View Post
    The Lansing videos are interesting. I can see OC meets to further awareness to the general public, but the clown with the AR just set back the cause. A holstered handgun isn't enough? I would be disturbed seeing a rifle if I was in the restaurant even if I knew what was going on.

And this will probably draw some fire my way, but I absolutely HATE these videos where some interest group smugly has their video camera rolling away while provoking or taunting a response from their supposed oppressors. I don't care what the cause is, it just gives me a pain. Dorks with video cameras annoy me.
    Exactly...The sad part is this is the Michigan Open carry group. They have other videos online as well. They are doing more harm, than good IMO...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

In Wisconsin we had to do OC meets. The LEO were violating the law arresting open carriers and charing them with Disorderly Conduct even on their own private property. The charges were most often dropped but only after costly lawyer expenses for the person. Even after they got to higher courts and they order the LEO to stop doing it they kept it up. The DA refuse to do anything to the officers.
    The open carry meets allowed us to force their hand. It worked they arrest a group in Madison. It took money and time but the City was fined 10,000. Thats has not stopped it but we are gaining ground. We have always had a open carry right in Wisconsin, it was not until they tried to deny us the right we had to take a stand.
    The idea it some how hurts our cause holds no value. Those that are working to restrict our rights would like nothing more than for us to be intimidated into not exercising our rights.
    There has never been a problem with open carry until a group in Madison bent on outlawing all fire arms tried to make it an issue.
    The day Governor Walker signed the CC bill after 20 years of fighting and a Governor vetoing it twice we open carried. When 1 officer tried to stop it he was informed the Governor was ok with it and they were to allow us to express our rights. What a day that was. But the fight is not over.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    In Wisconsin we had to do OC meets. The LEO were violating the law arresting open carriers and charing them with Disorderly Conduct even on their own private property. The charges were most often dropped but only after costly lawyer expenses for the person. Even after they got to higher courts and they order the LEO to stop doing it they kept it up. The DA refuse to do anything to the officers.
    The open carry meets allowed us to force their hand. It worked they arrest a group in Madison. It took money and time but the City was fined 10,000. Thats has not stopped it but we are gaining ground. We have always had a open carry right in Wisconsin, it was not until they tried to deny us the right we had to take a stand.
    The idea it some how hurts our cause holds no value. Those that are working to restrict our rights would like nothing more than for us to be intimidated into not exercising our rights.
    There has never been a problem with open carry until a group in Madison bent on outlawing all fire arms tried to make it an issue.
    The day Governor Walker signed the CC bill after 20 years of fighting and a Governor vetoing it twice we open carried. When 1 officer tried to stop it he was informed the Governor was ok with it and they were to allow us to express our rights. What a day that was. But the fight is not over.
    Keep it up, some times it helps.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    Keep it up, some times it helps.
    Trying got heck knocked out of me last year in Madison.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Please watch these two videos, then tell me about public perceptions. Notice the guy in the red hoodie with the AR on his back...MI is a OC state..
    Im not against OC, but this is not the right way to represent OC IMO.
    I was going to mention these people but you beat me to it. Every time there's an open carry 'meeting' scheduled, the same three guys always jump in with something like "I'm gonna bring my [cannon]!" or whatever inappropriate weapon they may have, screaming "I HAVE MY RIGHTS!" And always the same people who always have run-ins with law enforcement.

Before one recent meeting, I asked what would happen if I showed up but decided not to open carry, because I normally don't, and was told not to bother coming.

I liken these meets like any other hobby gathering: there will be a circle of people who are overdoing it and you will be ignored if you don't share their exact beliefs. I've often considered going to a few local amateur radio meetings as well but I don't take myself seriously enough to fit in.

The last open carry event in my area was a Klan event. It was EXTREMELY effective at making gun owners look like a bunch of uneducated rednecks.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    The last open carry event in my area was a Klan event. It was EXTREMELY effective at making gun owners look like a bunch of uneducated rednecks.
    I'm guessing you were cc at the time?

Probably. I don't remember. I was as far away as possible.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links