A Fool Killed First?

This is a discussion on A Fool Killed First? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If he has planned and he is determined he continues on. You can add what if's and more guns all day and yes at some ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: A Fool Killed First?

VIP Member
    If he has planned and he is determined he continues on.

You can add what if's and more guns all day and yes at some point the odds will tip. Fact is if you can see the gun there is a chance you will be targeted.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

I admit that there is a change. I can also see that the chance is so miniscule that the crime prevention odds far outweigh them.
    NYCrulesU likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Regardless of what you may think, there is an inherent evil in the hearts of some men, and common sense and idealistic secular based viewpoints cannot accept nor understand the driving force therein.
    You're killing me, smalls

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    I will not discourage you from open carrying, but I will not open carry.

I would rather retain the element of surprise and the ability to step back and not be a target... That decision is highly personal.
    I am not negatively attacking you on this but rather using your quote for an example. . .

Why not refer to "element of surprise" as "element of discretion"?

As to open carry discussion I rarely poke my nose into it. It is not legal to open carry in my state and, if it was, I doubt I would participate.

I personally do not buy the "criminal sees citizen carrying a gun and therefore did not commit the crime" argument. Criminals already know there is risk in what they do yet they do it anyway. There is risk of imprisonment and even death, yet, everyday the papers/news is full of crime.

I also personally believe, even if I cannot support it with evidence, that an openly carried gun will make you a higher risk liability, or target if you will, if you are caught in the middle of a crime in progress.

If nothing else that openly carried gun becomes a very high risk responsibility, of the gun owner, to protect. Its like carrying a big fat deposit bag to the bank. Criminals want it, criminals see it and some would attempt to take it.

I will relate one experience I had with open carry here in my state. Even though it is usually illegal to open carry there are exceptions. If you are an FFL, or employee of and FFL and you are transporting weapons, you are allowed to open carry a weapon. I was transporting weapons to a shipping company and chose to open carry. Never again.

I was surrounded, in a very small lobby, at the shipping depot by several grown men two of which were unsavory looking characters. I have never felt so uncomfortable.

Call me what you will, call it what you will, but I felt as if I had the last of the six rings.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    With all due respect my friend... You havent got a clue to how real criminals think.
    I don't see how you can be a retired LE with all the experience that comes in dealing with criminals, and say that. Maybe you were an amusement park peace officer?
    I guess that means the almost 17 years I have spent in LE had taught me absolutely nothing.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

oc is the best and safest . dont cc its dangerous to the police and your health
    " Innovations are what i leave behind for history "

Quote Originally Posted by SamF View Post
    I admit that there is a change. I can also see that the chance is so miniscule that the crime prevention odds far outweigh them.

Exactly.

Well Done!
    I don't agree with the OP but I must say it was an excellent write up.
    With writing skills like that it's obvious you're not one of the run of the mill bug and snake eaters!
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Another point I disagree with is the credit given to criminals for being smart. They are stupid, and that is what makes them dangerous. They live in an existence of mouth to hand, I see, I want, so therefore I take. They put no real thought into their actions, as most of the crimes they commit are inpulsive in nature. If they could be counted on to make a logical decision based on the reward/consquences idea, they would not be in jail most of the time.
    Checkmate.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    In my opinion the majority of criminals are cowardly and not very smart and are looking for the easy mark and the weak to prey on. Just as wolves do. This is not to say all criminals fall in this category, because they don't. Now cowardly behavior does not necessarily mean they are cowards. The "wild eyed pistol waivers who ain't afraid to die" are always very dangerous and have to be considered a serious threat. I think OC will deter the vast majority of criminal behavior in most settings and under most circumstances. But that being said the desperate criminal with a nothing to lose mentality might not care at all. Nothing is guarantied in this life and regardless of your background and training if the bad guy is willing to die he can take you with him if you are at the wrong place at the wrong time.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links