Wisconsin 1000' perimeter for schools

This is a discussion on Wisconsin 1000' perimeter for schools within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My question is one for both concealed carry and open carry for Wisconsin. Currently in Wisconsin you can not walk open carry with in a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Wisconsin 1000' perimeter for schools

Wisconsin 1000' perimeter for schools

My question is one for both concealed carry and open carry for Wisconsin. Currently in Wisconsin you can not walk open carry with in a 1000' radius of any school. Now with a CCW license you can walk within the radius on the sidewalk, street, or what ever (as long as it is not on the actual shool property) with a firearm concealed.

If I have the permit ... Would I be aloud to then carry open on the side walk within the 1000' radius too?

My purpose is not to scare kids, it would be during dark hours walking my dog. I live next to 3 schools where 2 of them are so close that the first step off my property would put me within that 1000' perimeter. I would like to keep my options open. You never know when one or the other option to conceal or open carry will benefit for the activity.
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

2. Remove Ads

If the law is written as you state, I'd stay away from the school zone while open carrying, even with a permit.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

What if you live a across the street from the school?

It is lawful to possess a firearm in or on the grounds of a school or within 1,000 feet of the grounds of a school as follows:
    -On private property that is not part of school grounds. Wis. Stat. 948.605(2)(b)1m and 18 USC 922(q)(2)(B)(i)
    -A person who is a CCW licensee or out-of-state CCW licensee may possess a firearm within 1,000 feet of the grounds of a school, but not in or on school grounds. Wis. Stat. 948.605(2)(b)1r

There is no requirement for it to be concealed. You can also open carry within 1000' of a school without a permit if you are on private property.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

There is no requirement for it to be concealed. You can also open carry within 1000' of a school without a permit if you are on private property.
    That's exactly what I read too earlier, but found it in a bit of a grey area. Although I guess that considering you are allowed to have them open in plain sight in a vehicle while driving through the 1000' radius then surly this also applies to walking on the side walk.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit2011 View Post
    That's exactly what I read too earlier, but found it in a bit of a grey area. Although I guess that considering you are allowed to have them open in plain sight in a vehicle while driving through the 1000' radius then surly this also applies to walking on the side walk.
    Its the grey areas that will get you in trouble. Keep it covered and enjoy your walks. Just my .02
    BkCo1 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by thephanatik View Post
    It is lawful to possess a firearm in or on the grounds of a school or within 1,000 feet of the grounds of a school as follows:
    -On private property that is not part of school grounds. Wis. Stat. 948.605(2)(b)1m and 18 USC 922(q)(2)(B)(i)
    -A person who is a CCW licensee or out-of-state CCW licensee may possess a firearm within 1,000 feet of the grounds of a school, but not in or on school grounds. Wis. Stat. 948.605(2)(b)1r
    Any recognized permit holder is covered under WI law, but the Federal Gun Free School Zone act does not cover the out of state licensee. Just so you know.
    Anubis likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

This section of Wi Act 35 175.60 (2)d -

d) For purposes of 18 USC 922 (q) (2) (B) (ii), an
    out−of−state licensee is licensed by this state.

I hope this holds up on the Federal level.

mrm
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Its the grey areas that will get you in trouble. Keep it covered and enjoy your walks. Just my .02
    I second this (why push the envelope if you dont have to) also only my .02
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Try it and let us know how it turns out.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by jcallen View Post
    This section of Wi Act 35 175.60 (2)d -

d) For purposes of 18 USC 922 (q) (2) (B) (ii), an
    out−of−state licensee is licensed by this state.

I hope this holds up on the Federal level.
    After your pointing that out, I find that a few other states have something similar in place or in the works - essentially stating that for purposes of 18 USC 922, anyone legally able to possess a firearm is "deemed" licensed.

Given that the GFSZ act is seldom applied, there don't seem to be any cases that have tested such dodges around the act.

Related to that, should HR 822 actually become law, I think it would be immediately reasonable to have the out of state permit exclusion to GFSZ removed - if the feds mandate reciprocity to the states, they should be held to the same standard.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Quote Originally Posted by thephanatik View Post
    My read of 1r is that it IS allowed...

(b) Paragraph (a) does not apply to the possession of a firearm by any of the following:
    1m. A person who possesses the firearm in accordance with 18 USC 922 (q) (2) (B) (i), (iv), (v), (vi), or (vii).
    1r. Except if the person is in or on the grounds of a school, a licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (d), or an out-of-state licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (g).
    Help me understand it.

You have to ask yourself, "do you want to be a test case?"

I think I'll contact our DoJ and ask for clarification and if they can't offer it to me I'll contact the officer responsible to my neighborhood.

Yea, although the law does seem like a bit of a gray area, I'd probably just conceal if it were me - to avoid any troubles.
    I work for a company that offers firearms training in Florida, Colorado, Iowa, Wisconsin and soon to be Minnesota. Please visit our website below or check us out on http://facebook.com/equip2conceal

www.equip2conceal.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links