Question About Open Carry You Tube - Page 7

Question About Open Carry You Tube

This is a discussion on Question About Open Carry You Tube within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Heck, I may OC tomorrow just to see what happens. I'll have my camera ready in case I get stopped....

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Question About Open Carry You Tube

Heck, I may OC tomorrow just to see what happens. I'll have my camera ready in case I get stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Heck, I may OC tomorrow just to see what happens. I'll have my camera ready in case I get stopped.
    Its a catch 22 situation. It seems that many believe that if you carry the weapon you are intentionally looking for trouble. But if on the slim chance you meet up with some rouge cop and you don't have the camera with you it will be your word against his,

Michael

eb
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    All I can say is that they are exercising a right that has been lost for the most part. Yes they are rude in some cases, but so are some of the LEOs. They are making a statement for the right to OC. Like it or not, the are fighting for all of us, together we stand, together we fall. It's like the so called "assault weapons", some gun owners still don't like them and want them outlawed, but if we don't fight, the Government will come for their hunting guns someday.
    I'm a gun owner, and a supporter of the 2nd amendment, and these people are NOT fighting for me. Actually its quite the opposite. What they are doing is drawing attention to themselves by looking like lunatics, and inciting the anti-gun establishment to take action that will further chip away at our rights.

The right to bear arms is a legal/political battle, so that is where and how it should be fought. Support the organizations and politicians that support our rights through the proper channels. That is how we'll get taken seriously. Protesting at OC "Rallies" or in a Walmart lot makes us all look like crazies, and that I take issue with as a gun owner.
    wmhawth likes this.

VIP Member
    Al and others. I apologize if it comes off I am against OC I am not. I am against the lack of common sense and OC'ing, CCing, or whatever method just to get attention or make a video or impress the waitress and then calling it exercising my constitutional right.

In certain circumstances all it takes is one idiot to make the whole town look bad and in todays electronic age that can happen overnight with enough hits on youtube.
    carracer likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    MY GOD YOU COULD BE COOKING METH IN YOUR HOME!!!! Maybe the police should kick in your door just to make sure the children are safe!!!

F350 sorry missed your post. You are comparing apples and baseballs here. Inside my residence on my property out of public view requires a different legal requirement than doing/carrying openly in public hence the term "Open Carry". You are in plain view of the general public so therefore anyone can call in and report the fact you are carrying. Should there be standard questions asked? Sure. Should the caller be informed that it is legal? Sure. Unfortunetely in our liability, civil suit, paranoid world departments will not take that risk and always look at the "What if it is not someone just OC'ing".

So for the near future an officer will respond and hopefully it will end well for all concerned with both sides coming away with not being butt hurt by the encounter.

If I had a meth lab in my front yard in plain view of everyone damn straight someone should call and the officer would be obligated to respond.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Tacman, you are the one comparing apples and baseballs. Since OC is completely legal, why should we waste valuable police resources to do something that the courts say they can't do. As I see it, the 911 call should go as follows:

Caller, "There's a guy here carrying a gun, can you send the police?"
    911, "What is he doing?"
    Caller, "He's shopping at Wal-mart,"
    911, "is he threatening anyone?"
    Caller, "No."
    911, "Is the gun in a holster?"
    Caller, "Yes."
    911, "What he is doing is completely legal."
    Caller, "But he scares me."
    911, "I'm sorry but, it would be inappropriate for you to use the police to intimidate him because of your fears."

Quote Originally Posted by SamF View Post
    Tacman, you are the one comparing apples and baseballs. Since OC is completely legal, why should we waste valuable police resources to do something that the courts say they can't do. As I see it, the 911 call should go as follows:

Caller, "There's a guy here carrying a gun, can you send the police?"
    911, "What is he doing?"
    Caller, "He's shopping at Wal-mart,"
    911, "is he threatening anyone?"
    Caller, "No."
    911, "Is the gun in a holster?"
    Caller, "Yes."
    911, "What he is doing is completely legal."
    Caller, "But he scares me."
    911, "I'm sorry but, it would be inappropriate for you to use the police to intimidate him because of your fears."
    Addendum.

911, "Did you say you were in Wal-Mart"?
    Caller, "Yes".
    911, "Good, you sound like you most likely soiled yourself, so you can easily get some baby wipes and fresh underwear".
    AZ Hawk likes this.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

An exchange I had not too long ago, at a local Meijer store.

hoplophobe: Is that a REAL gun?
    Me: Yes, but don't worry, it's broken, it doesn't work right.
    hopolohobe: It's broken?
    Me: Yes, it refuses to jump out of the holster on it's own and start shooting totally innocent citizens.
    Hoplophobe: (*** look on face, as I walk away, and nearby listeners laughing out loud)

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    I am not saying anything bad about OC'ers I am merely using this as an example.

A call is received of a man with a gun in the parking lot of Denny's. "It's ok sir it is legal to open carry a firearm in this state and we will not dispatch an officer".
    Actually, shouldn't the follow-up question be, "Is it in his hand or in a holster?" If it's in a holster--then the dispatch answer is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    5 minutes later said man openly carrying a firearm begins a shooting rampage killing 4 and then himself. The crowd goes wild "Why was an officer not sent" "This could have been prevented" Families sue the city for failure to act causing the death of a family member. If only they had dispatched an officer maybe the guy would have given up, or the officer could have eliminated the threat.

We never know what will happen. Yes it may be a guy legally carrying but what if it is not? Should there be a 100ft rule? or Observe for 2 minutes? Just as we have the right to carry others have a right to call the police and be concerned that is their right to.

We will just have to agree to disagree on some of this. Yes attitude is everything on both the part of the OC'er and the officer involved and we both agree "that guy" can make us all look bad.
    OK....say an officer is dispatched....7 minutes later he shows up. Same result. Or....NOTHING could happen....We could play this game all day...

<break>

Either way, open or concealed--if someone is going to do a bad thing with a gun, they will do it anyway. Meanwhile, if OC (without a permit, like VA) is legal, there is no reason to make it an issue. If the person is acting in a threatening manner, then I could see a problem. But if they are going about their business in normal manner...no big deal.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Yes there could/would/should be an exchange over the phone. Will it happen correctly who knows.

You are right we can do this all day fact remains OC'ing in view of the public someone may call, once call is received officer may respond as is his duty if dispatched. Hopefully as I stated it is a pleasant exchange and everyone goes about their merry way.

Quote Originally Posted by eb View Post
    I'm a gun owner, and a supporter of the 2nd amendment, and these people are NOT fighting for me. Actually its quite the opposite. What they are doing is drawing attention to themselves by looking like lunatics, and inciting the anti-gun establishment to take action that will further chip away at our rights.

The right to bear arms is a legal/political battle, so that is where and how it should be fought. Support the organizations and politicians that support our rights through the proper channels. That is how we'll get taken seriously. Protesting at OC "Rallies" or in a Walmart lot makes us all look like crazies, and that I take issue with as a gun owner.
    So you say that you support the Second Amendment, right? How you carry a firearm is not stated in that Amendment, is only states "the right of the people to keep and bear arms ".

If OC is legal in a State and no one did except a very few, and they get hassled by the police all the time then how else can they fight it? What good would it be to fight it in a legal/political battle only and not exercise that right? In my State it is legal to OC but a lot of people and officers think that it isn't because the police would always say not to OC, you might scare someone, so over time it was thought that it was illegal and less and less people did it. You have to exercise or support that right to make people aware that it is legal, so some my have recorders and or cameras because if they don't, it is their word against the police. The more bad encounters that happen and come to light, the more positive changes happen and have. Sure you could say look at California, "look what happened there because of OCing". That is California, it won't spread to other States I am sure.

Case in point, I know someone (the only one like this) that is an avid hunter, rifles, shotgun and bow. But I have heard him say he doesn't like the NRA because he feels that they "want everyone to own a machine-gun". He thinks that the so-called "assault weapons" should be illegal, and no one should carry at all! He says he is all for the Second Amendment, but apparently he thinks only hunting weapons should be allowed. If more people thought like him or you, then our right will be eroded over time, and eventually they will make his "hunting guns" illegal. That's what they did in England and Australia.

I know I will get this wrong, but I heard a saying that goes something like this:
    "They wanted to make .50 cal rifles illegal, I didn't fight against it cause I didn't own one, then they went after "assault weapons", I didn't fight against it cause I didn't own one, now they are coming after my hunting guns, well, it sure is lonely on this roof top!" The same goes for the way a person carries a handgun.

Why have the right to OC and "not" support that right? We all have made great strives in gun rights in the last few decades, have we not? Part of that has been the "crazies" on YouTube.

Another case in point, Have you seen the videos of the Border Patrol check points in the southwest within the U.S. on the web? The ones where people film them and refuse to answer any questions? They may look crazy to some, thinking "why don't they just answer the questions and move along?" Then some of the Agents threaten to smash windows, or arrest them. How would we be aware of these incidents unless these "crazy people" fought against this kind of tyranny? What right does the Government have to stop people going about their business? They don't! If they didn't fight against it, how else can you educate people about how the government is overstepping it's bounds?

Awareness will bring positive changes for all, so yes, they are fighting for your and my rights like it or not.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Addendum.

911, "Did you say you were in Wal-Mart"?
    Caller, "Yes".
    911, "Good, you sound like you most likely soiled yourself, so you can easily get some baby wipes and fresh underwear".
    Darn! Now I have to clean the soda off my keyboard!!!
    Al Lowe likes this.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by eb View Post

No, you don't support the Second Amendment, not by calling people who open carry "lunatics". You're as bad as any Brady-loving, anti-gun, bed-wetting liberal, just by using that term. By further separating yourself from other law abiding gun owners, you're hurting our cause more than open carry "lunatics". Are you sure you're nto a member of Ceasefire?
    Majorlk and jag06 like this.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Sponsored Links