Question About Open Carry You Tube

This is a discussion on Question About Open Carry You Tube within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm watching You tube and feel compelled to ask, why do some OC people want to be stopped and checked and give police a hard ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Question About Open Carry You Tube

I'm watching You tube and feel compelled to ask, why do some OC people want to be stopped and checked and give police a hard time? it just makes me sick that they are intentionally pushing the boundaries. Am I missing something here?

Administrator
    Where did I put that doggone can opener that I use to open up the cans of worms?

Oh...never mind...I just remembered that I put it in Pandora's Box for safe keeping.
    Guest1 and tarheelddavi like this.

Who knows, dropped on their head as a child, a need to be the center of attention. My advice, don't be THAT guy...
    WHEC724, Spade115 and smolck like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

All I can say is that they are exercising a right that has been lost for the most part. Yes they are rude in some cases, but so are some of the LEOs. They are making a statement for the right to OC. Like it or not, the are fighting for all of us, together we stand, together we fall. It's like the so called "assault weapons", some gun owners still don't like them and want them outlawed, but if we don't fight, the Government will come for their hunting guns someday.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

VIP Member
    You have to realize that most of those that do it to be confrontational don't care about anything but their few seconds of fame on the internet. OC'ing is just their avenue to get there. If it weren't OC'ing they would find some other was to start a confrontation.

You should also remember, the ones that OC looking for a confrontation are probably less that 1% of the total OC'er. The largest majority just want to go about their business and be left alone.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Who knows, dropped on their head as a child, a need to be the center of attention. My advice, don't be THAT guy...
    You don't have to be THAT guy. You can be the guy who just sits back and watches as our rights are eroded one at a time. Ever hear the one that starts, "First they came for the Jews..."
    TN_Mike and nerdyvirgin like this.

There are some places in the USA where OC is completely legal, even without a license. I can think of NE Ohio where the police harass their law abiding citizens merely because they are exercising their right to OC. A freedom not exercised is a freedom lost. The OC community is exercising their right and will more/less "jam-it" down the LEO's throat until they get the proverbial "picture."

I applaud those people who take a stand!

I myself, lack the mouth and the quick wittiness it takes to be able to do it. Therefore I just give money and support.
    TN_Mike, luvmy40, jag06 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugerguy View Post
    I'm watching You tube and feel compelled to ask, why do some OC people want to be stopped and checked and give police a hard time? it just makes me sick that they are intentionally pushing the boundaries. Am I missing something here?
    I don't know. I OC mostly during the warmer months. But I'm not out to get stopped and give local LEOs a hard time.

However, it has been pointed out to me, by various other members of Michigan Open Carry (past and present) that if I'm stopped for OCing, and ONLY for OCing, I am under no obligation to show any identification. I can tell the officer my name, and that should be enough for him/her. IF I "cooperate more" and either show ID, or give more info that can aid them in figuring out who I am, I'm just giving in to the "sheep mentality" that what ever the LEOs want, we should give them.

From my point of view, it depends on how much time I have to waste while they try to cajole more info out of me. If I'm in a hurry, as in I need to be somewhere, not where the cops have me stopped, then I might go ahead and show ID. If I've got no place to be, then I might drag it out as long as I can, until they figure out I'm not surrendering my Constitutional rights.

Now, having said all that, I can tell you all, I've never been stopped by the police for OCing. And there are plenty that have seen me OCing in Lansing and other areas of Michigan. So far, the ONLY time I've been stopped was usually a traffic stop. And, because Michigan laws says I must, I always hand over my driving license, registration, proof of insurance, and my Concealed Pistol License. So far, even though I probably deserved a ticket, I've not had one issued to me. Every time, the officers told me to slow down, get my head light fixed, or whatever applied to the reason they stopped me. My personal opinion, I think they did that because I have a CPL. But I could be wrong.

Those videos make me feel sorry for some of the the police. I just can't see what the big deal is, hand the guy your license or carry permit and move on, it's not like the cop is trying to end 2A he's just a guy at work doing his job.

Woo-Hoo
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Where did I put that doggone can opener that I use to open up the cans of worms?

Oh...never mind...I just remembered that I put it in Pandora's Box for safe keeping.

What makes you think they want to be stopped? What is your definition of pushing the boundaries?
    If it is legal to openly carry a firearm how is doing so pushing any boundaries? Why are the police stopping them if they are breaking no laws?

EDIT: If I am not breaking the law but I am constantly being stopped and questioned who is giving who a hard time exactly?

Michael
    Spec likes this.

Just go to You Tube watch enough videos and you will eventually start seeing guys walk with a camera and narrate: "Oh there's an officer....and....it looks like he's coming this way" they are out and looking to be stopped for a good video."

Those videos make me feel sorry for some of the the police. I just can't see what the big deal is, hand the guy your license or carry permit and move on, it's not like the cop is trying to end 2A he's just a guy at work doing his job.
    Maybe because OCing does not equal doing something illegal (in such states where OCing is already legal)...and a permit is not required to OC (like VA), thus, you are not required to show ID.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Just go to You Tube watch enough videos and you will eventually start seeing guys walk with a camera and narrate: "Oh there's an officer....and....it looks like he's coming this way" they are out and looking to be stopped for a good video."
    The police know this and they still fall for it? What about if the police were instructed not to stop someone unless a law was actually being broken?

Michael
    TN_Mike, Spec and gunsnroses like this.

I know OC is often legal and even no permit required in some states. I guess all I should have said here was that I don't respect people who love flaunting 2A rights in front of police.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links