Never open carried - Page 4

Never open carried

This is a discussion on Never open carried within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Oh man. I uncorked another can of worms. While I would like to open carry, I think I would have to deal with John Law ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Never open carried

Oh man. I uncorked another can of worms. While I would like to open carry, I think I would have to deal with John Law too much. Even if I am by the book and legal. All it takes is a phone call and they MUST respond.

Quote Originally Posted by SamF View Post
    This illustrates your inability to understand the criminal mindset. The reason he is a criminal is because he does not want to take on the hard task and earn an honest wage. The criminal, by very nature, takes the easy way out whenever it is presented.
    No offense, but I don't think you or anyone has any idea about the "criminal mindset" other than the criminal at the time they are committing said crime. I will base my opinion on what I feel is the logical choice and not the conjecture of arm chair quarterbacks.

These people may have a plan to eliminate a know police officer or security guard but are typically too target focused to see if anyone else may be armed but the reality of these events are that they plan to avoid police and security and strike in their absence so the presence of an armed civilian would still be a deterrent.
    Forgive me, but anyone even half paying attention will be able to notice a gun on someones hip.

Roon-

I open carried almost every day for almost a year, you would not believe the number people who were totally oblivious to the fact.
    FTG-05 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Roon View Post
    I will base my opinion on what I feel is the logical choice and not the conjecture of arm chair quarterbacks.
    This is where you contradict yourself. Your logic is flawed because the facts contradict your theories.

Quote Originally Posted by SamF View Post
    This is where you contradict yourself. Your logic is flawed because the facts contradict your theories.
    There are no facts...just our opinions. Mine is different from yours. Let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by Roon View Post
    If I am a BG and intent on committing a crime, I look at the dude Open Carrying as my first target. I know he has a gun, he doesn't know I have one. Bang bang....game over.
    Prove it. Where has this happened? Sources?

I've OCd in the past, and have engaged people in conversation, and they haven't even noticed my P229. A good belt, dark colored tshirt or polo shirt, carrying IWB, doesn't get noticed.

What is your problem with OC? Not saying you should do it, but why does it bother you so? You're not going to change anything. If you want to argue, fine..but at least have some facts to support your position. In some municipalities it's legal, and in fewer places, hardly a problem.

Instead of peeing on everyone's shoes, why not do a and read about others experiences OCing?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I don't want to tread on anyone's beliefs but...here we go. Open carrying is unnecessary but however, it is a gun law in our favor and ill always strongly support it. When the common folk hear or see "gun", it instantly subjects them to a negative thought. Unnecessary attention IMO. An unbutton short sleeved shirt, or anything similar, just to cover it up is equally as comfortable. Seconds save lives, yes I agree, but when all the pros and cons are weighed I dont see how it's even a choice IMO. But then again to each his own.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

And as for people on here talking about "criminal mindset" is there a rulebook or that all criminals follow? Does every single criminal in history have the same mindset? Some criminals will see a gun and avoid it..play it safe...others will see an opportunity. Plain and simple everyone is different.

Quote Originally Posted by All_Business View Post
    And as for people on here talking about "criminal mindset" is there a rulebook or that all criminals follow? Does every single criminal in history have the same mindset? Some criminals will see a gun and avoid it..play it safe...others will see an opportunity. Plain and simple everyone is different.
    Actually, in the study of criminal psychology, there are common traits among criminals....id have to dig into my 17 yr old thesis on the subject, but on the broad scale, yes, criminals have the similar mindset. They seek the easy score, and will look at the risk vs gain...there are always exceptions, and other circumstances/factors (mental health, drug use, history, etc.)
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Actually, in the study of criminal psychology, there are common traits among criminals....id have to dig into my 17 yr old thesis on the subject, but on the broad scale, yes, criminals have the similar mindset. They seek the easy score, and will look at the risk vs gain...there are always exceptions, and other circumstances/factors (mental health, drug use, history, etc.)
    I know there are similar traits..I have learned that in my criminal justice class... and I watch CSI too. My point was the whole "exceptions" part. You can never predict what any one person will do.

Quote Originally Posted by All_Business View Post
    I don't want to tread on anyone's beliefs but...here we go. Open carrying is unnecessary but however, it is a gun law in our favor and ill always strongly support it. When the common folk hear or see "gun", it instantly subjects them to a negative thought. Unnecessary attention IMO. An unbutton short sleeved shirt, or anything similar, just to cover it up is equally as comfortable. Seconds save lives, yes I agree, but when all the pros and cons are weighed I dont see how it's even a choice IMO. But then again to each his own.
    then again... concealed carry is unnecessary. Requires permission to do it. Some states even outlaw it or make it so difficult it may as well be outlawed.

Open carry is not a law. It is legal by default. A law can only make it illegal.

If everyone open carried it would be the normal thing. Around here nobody panics when they see an open carrier.

The pros and cons in my list are just different than yours. As you stated, to each his own! I have a permission slip also and conceal from time to time also.
    Majorlk and gunsnroses like this.

What would happen if the open carriers started reporting people they disapproved of to the police? I see other people doing things that I don't like every day. I see no need for them to be doing these things.

Michael
    SIGguy229 likes this.

Prove it. Where has this happened? Sources?
    What? I stated what I would do...or what I have to think any smart self aware criminal would do.

I've OCd in the past, and have engaged people in conversation, and they haven't even noticed my P229. A good belt, dark colored tshirt or polo shirt, carrying IWB, doesn't get noticed.
    They need to work on their situational awareness. Those people are also going to be in a different mindset than a criminal.

What is your problem with OC? Not saying you should do it, but why does it bother you so? You're not going to change anything. If you want to argue, fine..but at least have some facts to support your position. In some municipalities it's legal, and in fewer places, hardly a problem.
    I don't have a problem with OC, go read my older posts in this thread.

Instead of peeing on everyone's shoes, why not do a and read about others experiences OCing?
    I have spent plenty of time researching OC. The thing that I fail to understand is why any questioning of Open Carry is met with hostility by the OC crowd....that I do not understand.

Maybe your run of the mill drug addicts and petty criminals think this way. The guy looking to do real damage is the one I am concerned about, but hey...maybe you are all about preparing for the little guy...thats cool.

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    More comfortable, and frankly as some who has drawn(didn't fire) speed is something you want as much of as you can get. A half second sounds like nothing til the fecal matter hits the propeller, then a 1/10th of a second is too slow.
    Clint Smith is noted for saying many times "I've never seen a stopwatch in a gun fight". That means what it means.

The thing I hear repeatedly by oc'ers is "comfort this" or "comfort that". I call this utter BS. There is NO difference between my OWB holster riding under a pullover or behind a jacket than if I have no cover garment. If you want to claim the "faster" angle, the "stops crime" angle, or the "because I can" angle then fine. But don't tell me that in today's world of light weight polymer guns, pocket guns, and some of the best holsters and belts technology can give us that "comfort" is a valid reason.

When the temperature is 80+ degrees any jacket or vest becomes rather uncomfortable.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links