Never open carried

This is a discussion on Never open carried within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Up until the 1950s if you were going to carry a gun the " gentlemanly way" was to carry it so everybody knew you had ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Never open carried

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Up until the 1950s if you were going to carry a gun the " gentlemanly way" was to carry it so everybody knew you had it ie open. Someone that concealed carried was generally looked at as somebody up to no good. Funny how things reverse themselves
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

I open carry occasionally. I haven't had my permit for even a year yet and I've open carried probably 5 times. I open carry every time I go to the range so I open carry anywhere I might stop on the way home. Aside from after a range trip I've done it probably two or three times. I notice a few people looking every now and then but I don't get any weird looks from cashiers or people I talk to (aside from friends I see at a gas station, fast food place, etc). But I have never had the slightest issue, and have yet to be questioned by a LEO, but thats probably because I havent ran into one yet. And im not sure if its just where you live or not, I have yet to see anyone open carry, and most people I have talked to havent seen it yet either. A few people have said theyve seen it like twice, but thats it.
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Was advised that, while technically legal, open carry around here would get you some unwanted attention in short order. You probably will not be hauled in, but you will be put to the question. I have never open carried, and aside from LEOs, have seen it done only once. It seems to me as though it would cause more trouble than it is worth. Here in western Iowa open carry would raise lots of eyebrows. Is that just a regional thing? What are the advantages to open carry? I have carried concealed for 14 years. I prefer the anonymity that it provides. But I am curious about the reasons folks open carry. Deterrent? Public exercise of a right? Or the convenience of not caring if it is seen?
    To answer the OP directly, I think the problems that could stem from open carry is a regional thing. I work with a guy from AZ, who says no one bats an eye, even in large cities like Tucson and Phoenix. Here in PA, it's more common on the western part of the state, while doint it on the eastern and southeast parts of PA will raise a lot of eyebrows. That makes sense, because the east is full of transplants from NY, NJ, and MD. People in Pittsburgh do it all the time, while doing it in Philadelphia will likely get you stopped and harrassed, a la Mark Fiorino.

I open carry for convenience. It's convenient not to have to spend close to $100 for a specialty leather holster, when I could just buy a kydex paddle holster with retention. How I carry it mostly dependent on two things: where I'm going, and the weather. If I'm going someplace where carrying is forbidden, but not illegal, like a mall, or a movie theater, I conceal. I also conceal when it's cold. My winter coat doesn't have a special open carry cut-out on the side.

I happen to know for a fact that it's a deterrent; I've been in a situation or two that the sight of my gun negated an incident that was brewing, and I once stopped an incident in a 24 hour minimart store just by walking in. Some guy was giving the cashier a hard time, and had his hand in his pocket. I walked in to pay for gas, and buy a drink, and he saw me, stopped whathe was doing and left. I had no idea there was a problem until the cashier girl told me there was.

I live in UT and have open carried multiple times. I'm only 23 years old and do tend to get some looks. I have been in line ordering food and had 4 sheriffs standing in line directly behind me, never batted an eye. I've come to find it is all in your attitude and demeanor. If its not a big deal to you, it won't be a big deal to them. Of course there are the few monkeys who might stop and ask you why you carry, best answer, because I can.
    Family first, that's why I carry.

Quote Originally Posted by StrattonG View Post
    I live in UT and have open carried multiple times. I'm only 23 years old and do tend to get some looks. I have been in line ordering food and had 4 sheriffs standing in line directly behind me, never batted an eye. I've come to find it is all in your attitude and demeanor. If its not a big deal to you, it won't be a big deal to them. Of course there are the few monkeys who might stop and ask you why you carry, best answer, because I can.
    Better answer might be your sig line.... LOL
    Just my opine...
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Open carry.... I say Have at it if it trips your trigger.
    Personally I support it, but I'll never do it; I just don't need the aggravation.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Was advised that, while technically legal, open carry around here would get you some unwanted attention in short order. You probably will not be hauled in, but you will be put to the question. I have never open carried, and aside from LEOs, have seen it done only once. It seems to me as though it would cause more trouble than it is worth. Here in western Iowa open carry would raise lots of eyebrows. Is that just a regional thing? What are the advantages to open carry? I have carried concealed for 14 years. I prefer the anonymity that it provides. But I am curious about the reasons folks open carry. Deterrent? Public exercise of a right? Or the convenience of not caring if it is seen?
    I live in NW Iowa and travel all around the area and SW Minnesota. I carry my Ruger P90 on my right hip in a leather holster. In the winter time my coat covers it but I will occasionaly take my coat off go into a gas station, Walmart and even a customer's location with it out in the open. I have never had any one say a word. I don't care if they see it, it is within my legal right to open carry IF I choose. If they want to call the police be my guest, you can use my cell phone, and after a few minutes I will be on my merry way with my gun on my side!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links