Never open carried

This is a discussion on Never open carried within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was advised that, while technically legal, open carry around here would get you some unwanted attention in short order. You probably will not be hauled ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Never open carried

Never open carried

Was advised that, while technically legal, open carry around here would get you some unwanted attention in short order. You probably will not be hauled in, but you will be put to the question. I have never open carried, and aside from LEOs, have seen it done only once. It seems to me as though it would cause more trouble than it is worth. Here in western Iowa open carry would raise lots of eyebrows. Is that just a regional thing? What are the advantages to open carry? I have carried concealed for 14 years. I prefer the anonymity that it provides. But I am curious about the reasons folks open carry. Deterrent? Public exercise of a right? Or the convenience of not caring if it is seen?
    Tex32Cal likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I open carry when I feel like it, Minnesota is a 'carry' state - doesn't matter open or concealed.

I like open carry because for me it's comfortable, and quite frankly I really don't care because I'm of the opinion that most people either don't notice or think you're some sort of law enforcement officer and keep doing their own thing.

Iowa is the same. But cell phones will be drawn and fired, and then the police will show. You will be checked, cleared, and released. Until you go somewhere else and the process repeats itself. I have no problem with open carry. Just curious why some folks prefer it.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    More comfortable, and frankly as some who has drawn(didn't fire) speed is something you want as much of as you can get. A half second sounds like nothing til the fecal matter hits the propeller, then a 1/10th of a second is too slow.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    More comfortable, and frankly as some who has drawn(didn't fire) speed is something you want as much of as you can get. A half second sounds like nothing til the fecal matter hits the propeller, then a 1/10th of a second is too slow.
    Amen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Was advised that, while technically legal, open carry around here would get you some unwanted attention in short order. You probably will not be hauled in, but you will be put to the question. I have never open carried, and aside from LEOs, have seen it done only once. It seems to me as though it would cause more trouble than it is worth. Here in western Iowa open carry would raise lots of eyebrows. Is that just a regional thing? What are the advantages to open carry? I have carried concealed for 14 years. I prefer the anonymity that it provides. But I am curious about the reasons folks open carry. Deterrent? Public exercise of a right? Or the convenience of not caring if it is seen?
    Technically legal. Is that anything like "a little bit pregnant"? Either you are or your not.

Comfort and speed of draw are 2 pluses to OC'ing. Some view it as a deterrent, whether it is or isn't is a matter of debate. It actually comes down to a personal decision. If you feel comfortable doing it, and it is legal where your at, go ahead. If you don't feel comfortable with it then don't.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Go with your gut...do you like to be hassled?
    RoadKill likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Go with your gut...do you like to be hassled?
    Also, how much do you value having a tactial advantage?
    RoadKill likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    Very true Terri.

Quote Originally Posted by Roon View Post
    Also, how much do you value having a tactial advantage?
    Wow. If you are going to dredge up the tired old "Tactical" advantage BS myth, at least learn to spell tactical will you?
    FTG-05 and Majorlk like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

It's easier, more comfortable, the gun is easier & quicker to draw and shoot if it's needed.... and it doesn't get 'lint' in it.
    I don't have to wear a bit bigger pants and belt, and the top part of the gun doesn't jab me in the side at times ... especially when sitting down in the car.
    NYCrulesU likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    During my service years, I OC'd in those states where it was legal, and not once did anyone scream MWAG, not once did someone try to take my gun, nor did anyone single me out as the first to go. Just like with laws allowing firearms in establishments that serve alcohol (restaurants, etc.), where people swore it would become the next Dodge City, there is nothing to fear except fear itself. And the vast majority of those never come to pass.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Wow. If you are going to dredge up the tired old "Tactical" advantage BS myth, at least learn to spell tactical will you?
    It was obviously a typo and not a misspelling.

How is it a myth? I am a bad guy and I know you have a gun before you know I am a bad guy. Bam your dead and your OC'd sidearm is useless.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roon View Post
    It was obviously a typo and not a misspelling.

How is it a myth? I am a bad guy and I know you have a gun before you know I am a bad guy. Bam your dead and your OC'd sidearm is useless.
    The problem with most GGs thinking is they really don't understand the criminal mindset. One more time;
    • Criminals look for the easiest target.
    • Criminals want a target they can quickly surprise an overpower.
    • Criminals don't want a victim to fight back.
    • Criminals pick targets based on "LEAST" risk -versus- biggest reward.

NONE of the above criteria fight into the OC profile. When a BG sees an OCer they see:
    • Someone who tells them, I'm going to be a HARD target.
    • Someone who is prepared and "most likely" will NOT be easily overpowered.
    • Someone who will most likely FIGHT back.
    • Someone who can KILL them if things go wrong (TOO MUCH RISK for twenty dollars in a wallet!)

FURTHERMORE:
    • Most criminals are NOT murderers!
    • Why would a typical thief risk a murder charge to get twenty dollars in a wallet?
    • Why would a typical thief risk a murder charge for a pistol mthat can be bought on the street for $20?

Sure there are exceptions to every rule. But, at least the OCer can send a CLEAR message to a BG looking for a victim. What kind of message can you send to them with your CCW?

-

-
    FTG-05, TN_Mike, Moga and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Technically legal. Is that anything like "a little bit pregnant"? Either you are or your not.
    There appear to be few absolutes in how the laws are applied. Connecticut has a "Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers," yet neither the permit nor the applicable statutes say anything about carrying concealed. Yet try to carry openly in CT, and you will most likely be arrested AND lose your permit. So there's another case where an action is "technically legal" because it is not specifically illegal, yet that action will get you in trouble.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

tcox nailed it.

And as I have said before, to all of you who only CC and think you are safe, your typical professional street criminal is very good at spotting someone who thinks they are concealing well. You are no more under the radar than someone who is OC most of the time.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links