For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you.

This is a discussion on For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Rollo I am opposed to open carry but would not support a law banning it. That seems to be where most of ...

View Poll Results: Would you support a law that did not allow for open carry?

Voters
411. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 3.65%
  • No

301 73.24%
  • I'm against open carry but support those who do so.

87 21.17%
  • Yes, but with exceptions for handicapped or those unable to carry otherwise.

8 1.95%
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree202Likes

Thread: For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I am opposed to open carry but would not support a law banning it.
    That seems to be where most of us are with this question, an opinion that in no way advocates taking away anyone's right to open carry but not giving an approving nod to how the right is exercised by some. Expressing that opinion will however often draw some interesting response. Quoted below is an interesting bit of what I would classify as absurd theater that showed up earlier in the thread:
    As far as I am concerned, those who have no desire to defend OC are just as dangerous as the most rabid anti-gun loon.
    Interesting.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    But, they "choose" to stand out.
    Without choice there is no freedom. If their choice is within the law they should face no consequences from the Government.

Michael
    tcox4freedom, Spec and TN_Mike like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    That seems to be where most of us are with this question, an opinion that in no way advocates taking away anyone's right to open carry but not giving an approving nod to how the right is exercised by some. Expressing that opinion will however often draw some interesting response. Quoted below is an interesting bit of what I would classify as absurd theater that showed up earlier in the thread:
    As far as I am concerned, those who have no desire to defend OC are just as dangerous as the most rabid anti-gun loon.
    Interesting.
    Some see those who do not defend individual rights as someone who is fine with the idea of taking away rights from others. That they only care about the rights they wish to enjoy. The I'll wait till they come for me attitude.
    I encountered this back in 1984 I believe it was when trying to get other shooters to write in to the government to protest the latest machine gun restrictions. Very few offered any support. Most replied that they did not care because it didn't affect them. Others were quick to point out you did not "need" a machine gun.

Personally I believe that our rights are intertwined. If you only support your rights you will lose the support of others and vise versa.

You lose your rights the same way you eat an elephant. One bite at a time.

Michael

Personally I believe that our rights are intertwined. If you only support your rights you will lose the support of others and vise versa.

You lose your rights the same way you eat an elephant. One bite at a time.

Michael
    You have the right to wander around Main Street in your Speedo too and I believe you should have that right. I don't think it's the correct or the wise thing for you to do though and I will say so. When the nice policeman comes and asks you to put on more clothing and you complain that he's violating your rights I probably won't be of much help to you. Same deal.

I support rights. I'm just less enthusiastic about supporting fools.

You have the right to wander around Main Street in your Speedo too and I believe you should have that right. I don't think it's the correct or the wise thing for you to do though and I will say so. When the nice policeman comes and asks you to put on more clothing and you complain that he's violating your rights I probably won't be of much help to you. Same deal.

Are you referring to your above scenario or are you saying that citizens are fools for open carry? Just curious.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

I am with you on the first part. My fat neighbor lady flaunts that right all the time in her tight spandex outfits. Hell I've even considered petitioning the city about some sort of anti fat people wearing spandex ordinance. Then I come to my senses and realize that she is hurting no one by wearing these disgusting outfits.

My problem comes with the second part of your reply. When the police become involved. If there is no law being broken they should not be requesting anything of her in an official capacity. To sit by and accept police enforcing their personal views instead of laws is wrong. It is dangerous.
    Its not about supporting fools. Its about supporting the law.
    If they can make up laws on the spot to control her they can make them up to control me.

Michael
    noway2 and TN_Mike like this.

Our local newspaper ran an opinion piece by a freelance journalist today. Pam Strickland is a member of the liberal minority in east Tennessee. You can see from the responses that the majority of people don't agree with her opinion of open carry, but some of the responses are interesting.

Pam Strickland: Don't turn Knoxville into Dodge City Knoxville News Sentinel
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    Are you referring to your above scenario or are you saying that citizens are fools for open carry? Just curious.
    No. As I have stated before, there are people who believe in and practice open carry and do so in a responsible way. Their method of carry isn't for me but it works for them and they don't do it in a manner that does harm to the RKBA cause. My "fools" comment refers to the attention seekers who just like the feeling of showing off their hardware and the cop baiters with the cameras, and any one who projects a poor image of gun owners while carrying a gun openly. I'm sure you know who they are .

Quote Originally Posted by NYCrulesU View Post
    Kwikrnu (Leonard Embody), that's who we are speaking about, is a nimrod. Plain and simple. He went about his "agenda" like an assinine fool and wound up with more attorney's fees than he can afford, permanently lost his carry permit (do you seriously believe they will EVER give him one again?) and in a short time has done more harm to the 2A than any anti ever could have.

Period.

He got sneaky, changed his name on YouTube.

He also painted an AK "pistol" orange, and carried it.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

What's his new Youtube?

What's his new Youtube?
    I've not seen anything. After the courts started finding against him on various legal issues, he went quiet. He may be back in California for all I know. The last thing I saw was the little clip when Haslam was running for governor.

TFA MTG 10/18/10 Haslam 4th and 5th (Leonard Embody question) - YouTube
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I would he totally shocked if he still has his FFL. Sticking to topic I OC and of course support anyone that wants to carry...CC or OC. But this guy? He is definitely someone who does not need to own or carry firearms.

What's his new Youtube?
    I'm assuming he's toptruckracer, as all of his previous vids are under that name. He's talking numerous lawsuits on YT, and this affroementioned item.

Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Regardless of whether one wants to open carry or not (I prefer concealed carry only but supports one's right to decide), we all need to unite and support one's right to choose to open carry.
    TN_Mike likes this.

How do you change your vote?

I think there is a time and place for everything

Maybe OC in rural areas and CC in cities.
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Links